Losing Coolant, No leak

Bought my 1991 Civic Wagon Automatic rt4wd and put a new radiator and upper radiator hose in. It isn't dropping coolant and I'm not seeing any smoke coming out the tailpipe but I have to add about a pint every time I drive the thing. All the hoses seemed ok when I replaced the radiator but I will double check this weekend. I am considering dropping some stop leak into the system to see if that helps. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Do not add stop leak.

1) bleed the system properly. you could just be topping it up on top of an air bubble and not actually adding what is needed
    2) check the lower timing belt cover for evidence of leaks, they aren't always obvious when it comes from the water pump
    3) check under the radiator cap, describe the smell
    4) check the oil cap, describe the look of the oil (i.e. any white/milkyness)

Given that you have just replaced the radiator and hoses (didn't mention if this was in response to an issue) then I would be starting with properly bleeding the system.
  • Everything Haydz said. Stop leak is pretty much a guarantee you'll kill your heater core, need to pull the entire system apart and fix it properly. Stop leak is a BS fix for someone who doesn't care about the car. On top of that if it's leaking into somewhere you can't find. Do you really want stop leak in those parts of the motor, wherever that may be?
  • Do you smell coolant when you get out after a drive, even though there's no obvious leak or spots on the ground?

There are a bunch of little, 25+ year old hose around and under the intake manifold.

I had one with a pinhole leak. I did not have to add as much coolant as you but I could smell coolant when I got out of the car. Not a drop on the ground ever. I finally spotted the little geyser in one of those hoses. PITA to change with my super-sized hands...

If you don't smell a leak and you don't see a leak, there not a lot of easy options left...