New member, hopeless wagon lover, seeker of knowledge.

Hello I'm Mike. New to the site and the whole forum world. I'm 27, I live in NC and I have loved Hondas since I was very young. My first Honda was a 90 cb7 accord. I loved it and that car pretty much sealed it for me...Ive always had an affinity for civic wagons and have recently became owner of a 91 civic wagon. From the first time I drove it, I was addicted. I friggin love this car lol. Unfortunately, I didn't do the work or build the car. Just kinda came upon it...I'm having some issues and am admittedly a novice. I joined this site in hopes of gaining knowledge and appreciating all the hard work and passion of people that share in this interest...again I'm new to this so any help, tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Welcome Mike! You've come to the right place! Wagons are a highly addictive hobby. Where are you on NC? The NC wagon crew is growing quite strong. Let's see a pic of that wagon! What kind of issues you having?
  • ZombieMikeZombieMike New Wagonist
    Very. Addictive lol...Thanks for the warm welcome! Live in haw river, NC. It's between Greensboro and Durham. I'm not sure how to get pics on here from my phone but I did manage to get a pic of my wagon as my profile pic....the issue I'm having: my wagon has a B18c1 swap and has run great since I got it up until a few weeks ago. Problem started one nite leaving work, pulled out into road and it wouldn't rev past 3500 and threw code 21( which I read is vtec pressure switch)...I shut the car off and started back, and there was no problem. Drove home just fine, no cel. Few days later, same problem. this time light stayed (21 again) and the car wouldn't rev past 3500. I got to looking and discovered my vtec pressure switch was actually snapped off...so I replaced it with a new one. Car ran AWESOME. Next day the cel went off and stayed off. This time for about 2 weeks. Then same problem came back and this time along with code 21 was 16(fuel injectors).....ive checked the injectors and they seem fine. I've had a lot of possiblediagnoses thrown at me and really just don't know where to start...
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Don't have much experience with swaps, but there are plenty of people here that do. I know where Haw River is. You're not too far away. I'm in Winston but grew up in Greensboro.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    Check the wiring to the solenoid. You'll be surprised how often the connectors are half assed, because those connectors can be a pain to find. Check it out.

Welcome! I love NC
    Oh yea, I know Winston Salem. That's cool, small world lol....I haven't really checked much other than my injectors, and they seem fine. How would I go about checking the wiring to The solenoid? A voltage meter? And what voltage means its ok....? thanks in advance guys...really wanna get this bug sorted out.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Welcome, Mike.

Start with just visually inspecting all of the wiring in that intake manifold area. Everything you're having problems with has been added and altered. Swap wiring quality varies widely, even usually tends to the shoddy side.

Just a couple things to check:
    1)in my experience, injector code is usually distributor/WIRING problem. That wiring is added/altered for the swap.
    2) multiple codes - make sure of the engine harness ground at the thermostat housing.
    3)check the wiring connections at the ECU in passenger footwell. Your swap probably has an OBD1 conversion jumper and a possible rat's nest down there.
    Thanks. There are a few things about this swap that have been confusing me. hopefully I can get it sorted out, I really appreciate the advice. I will check the ECU and thermostat ground. My distributor is see-through and I can see it firing. How could I tell if there is an issue with it? I was messing with it today, let the car run for a bit. I looked around for bad wires or connections and didn't really see any. I made sure the injectors were hooked up well and then rev'd her up and it was like normal, revving past 3500 no problem. Still have codes and will know for sure if rev problem is fixed tom (fingers crossed). Another thing, my car does have a jumper, little switch in the passenger floor board that allows me to read cel codes, but no hookup for obd reader. So is my car obd1 or 2?
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    OBD1 if it has blink codes like that.
    Ok. Finally.....I know for sure lol. Thanks. I drove my wagon up the road today and other than a little hesitant to start it did well. No restricted rev...I'm hoping my problem was a loose injector.
    Had the car looked at and determined that I have a chipped P06 ecu and that I need a re tune. I'll be gettin that pretty soon hopefully....I appreciate all the help!
    If anyone sees this and can direct me to a member that is well experienced with motor swaps or an faq on motor swaps/ecus I would be very appreciative...still have not nailed down my problem but getting close I think.......I hope lol.
    THanks in advance....