1.6 won't hold fuel pressure after key off

Hey guys,

Here's the situation. Car runs and accelerates fine. The issue is it will not start immediately after it has been sitting for more than 10 minutes. Suspecting fuel pressure issues, I installed a gauge on the filter. Sure enough, when I turn the car off, pressure goes directly to 0. When I bought the car I had this same hard-start issue, so I had already replaced the fuel pressure regulator. It seems to work fine. I get an idle pressure of about 23psi or so and vacuum-off pressure of about 35-37psi. I think that is within spec. When I crimp the return line, the fuel pump holds pressure on key-off. So, it does not appear to be the pump. My question is, do I have a bad (new) fuel pressure regulator? Is it supposed to hold pressure in the rail with 0 vacuum?

I haven't looked at whether the injectors are leaking but it does not run rich at initial startup (no smoke, stumbling, etc. - which I would expect if the plenum was flooded) and it idles dead smooth.

TIA guys,

Comments

• Not certain about this one myself, but I did find a thread over on d-series that sounds like it might be similar circumstances.

I know the thread says FPR which you've replaced but it looks like there's some other diagnostics info in there as well.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/general-tech/152061-bad-fuel-pressure-regulator.html
  • arries289arries289 Wagonist
    GTG, thanks man. That is the first reference I have seen that matches my issue and I have searched. Well it seems like the FPR the car came with was bad and the new one is bad with same symptoms! I am going to get another name brand one and see what happens. Thanks!
  • Yeah, definitely let us know. Go through some of those steps, etc, let us know =D

Hopefully this sorts it out.