1989 RT4WD Drum size

Question guys...my car is in the shop as I am trying to get an alignment. Previously ordered some drums which turned out to be for an Accord and don't fit properly. The shop ordered drums but they don't fit and now they are telling me that drums are not available for RT4WD model. I find that difficult to believe as autoparts searches indicate they are. I am getting conflicting info.

Here is what I know, there are 2 drum sizes available for a 89 Civic - 217mm and 238.5mm outside diameter. 217 appears to be for hatchback and sedan. So, my question is, is 238.5 for the 2WD and 4WD wagons? Are they the same size drum for both models? Or, does the RT have it's own special size?

Anyone with good knowledge please advise.

Thanks,

Comments

• superhatchsuperhatch Moderator
    I -think- the RT and the EX sedan share the same size rear drums. I'll try to verify.
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    It is the same. Just watch out if you find some on clearance. I bought up some stock from this place that was selling them dirt cheap. I don't know if they were cast wrong, or if they were used and just resurfaced and packed as new or what. I have 8 drums though that look to be NOS but are all above the listed 201mm tolerance.

So if you're getting some and can see em in person, definitely check that measurement there might have been a bad batch out there from a certain reproduction factory, or I might have just gotten the one off boning.
  • arries289arries289 Wagonist
    It is the same. Just watch out if you find some on clearance. I bought up some stock from this place that was selling them dirt cheap. I don't know if they were cast wrong, or if they were used and just resurfaced and packed as new or what. I have 8 drums though that look to be NOS but are all above the listed 201mm tolerance.

So if you're getting some and can see em in person, definitely check that measurement there might have been a bad batch out there from a certain reproduction factory, or I might have just gotten the one off boning.

Thanks GTG.

Update: I found out that the ones I ordered from Autozone were wrong. Their DB is wrong. They have them listed as 201mm MaxID on their website, but what actually came in was the smaller 181mm MaxID. So, don't order PN3526 from Autozone! Anyway, I have reordered, 4th time is a charm I guess, from another parts store and we will see what they deliver! Car has been at the shop for a week now...dying to get it back and finally drive it.
    Yep, I've had that exact same thing happen as well. I should have mentioned it, but good call out on it.

All this said, save up some loot and get the rear disc conversion from Lowflyin'
    https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?18796

I hate working on drums.
  • arries289arries289 Wagonist
    All this said, save up some loot and get the rear disc conversion from Lowflyin'
    https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?18796

I hate working on drums.

Yeah, me too....I reached out to him earlier this year and I intend to do the conversion. But, trying to get the car out of the garage so we can move. As soon as I get to my new location it's going to be rotors only for sure....Hopefully he has the parking brake bracket done!
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Good info to know on the autozone part number. I actually just replaced my rear drums with some ones I had laying around and cast on the drum istead said 201mm but it wouldn't fit correctly so I just resurfaced the old ones with brand new pads. Either way good to hear you got it taken care of.
    Hey Chase, what wouldn't fit about the ones you had. I think the problem with mine was that they were so badly warped that in turning them it would have been over 201mm on the entire thing. There's some out of roundness on all of them, it's just a matter of how much can be corrected. Definitely seems like a batch had casting issues though.