Clutch Cable Fully adjusted, Clutch Barely Engages

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my clutch pedal/clutch cable. A few months ago I thought my throw out bearing went out because the clutch pedal wouldn't come off the floor. Before I checked anything like a normal person I changed the throw out bearing and put a different trans on. Come to find out the problem the whole time was the clutch cable because after I changed that everything worked "fine".

The clutch will not grab unless the cable is damn near all the way fully adjusted. AT this point it has worked for the past month or so no problems but now every time I put the clutch in I can hear a creeking noise coming either from the cable or the pedal assembly.

What I am missing here? I looked at the pedals and nothing is broken... yet.

Comments

• CharbCharb Administrator
    My money is still on your pedal assembly

If I was you I'd pull it and reinforce it so you know it'll never be a problem. It's difficult to see unless you're really underneath.
  • debrisdebris Wagonist
    Hmmm, i may have the same problem...

Charb, do you have an image of what a failed wagon pedal assembly looks like?

Is it something that we can examine (visually) without pulling bits off the car?
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Yep. Still the pedal assembly.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Okay so say it is the pedal assembly. What would that have to do with the clutch cable being all the way adjusted? Would the pedal assembly have any bearing on the cable iteself? I know its connected to the cable but I dont see how that would cause the cable to have to be extended all the way so there is clutch feel.

Also from what I have read, in order to reinforce the pedal assembly wouldn't I need to take the dashboard out?
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    That creeking you are hearing is most certainly the pedal box. Mine is currently creeking and there is flex happening in the box. I am anticipating it totally snapping any day now.
    To reinforce the pedal assembly you don't need to take out the dash.
    It's a frustrating job. Angled pliers, swivel wratchet, time. My hands looked like i stuck them in a barbed wire fence.
    If the pedal box is flexing to the left side as you clutch (which is what happens), imagine the loss of cable tension that is happening as it's flexing.

When I adjusted my clutch cable on my old D16 wagon, I to had to adjust the cable ALL THE WAY TIGHT, as tight as it would go.
    You need to verify

when my current pedal box goes, it will be my 3rd box. I had a reinforced one, but it got crushed when the wrecker crushed my car before i could get it out! ass.
    to visually check the assembly,

- flashlight
    - push clutch all the way to the floor
    - if the clutch pedal is swinging out to the left AT ALL, it's starting to go bad
    - look right at the top where the clutch pedal mounts, there is a pivot rod, that's where mine have broken. one even totally cracked almost in half down the entire box.
    If you are not going to take our advice, please don't ask for it. It's awfully frustrating.

youve gone to all this trouble yet you won't pull the damn assembly
    charb's being a grumpy bitch, he's got a wagon for sale and it's hurting his mental state. The pedal box thing is wagon specific and can be frustrating!

The box needs to be removed, and some welding needs to happen. Or better yet, find a wrecker with a box, get it, reinforce it, no down time other than install.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    quarters wrote: »
    charb's being a grumpy bitch, he's got a wagon for sale and it's hurting his mental state. The pedal box thing is wagon specific and can be frustrating!

The box needs to be removed, and some welding needs to happen. Or better yet, find a wrecker with a box, get it, reinforce it, no down time other than install.
    Thank you sir. I really appreciate your detailed explanation of what the problem might be/is. Here is a video I took of what it sounds like. 34.jpg
    Detailed explanation? Wow

And Courtney, I have two wagons pal ;)

I bought my 5speed for almost nothing because 'it needs a clutch'. Of course it was a pedal assembly like usual... at least I listened to wise words of others and it was pulled and fixed in less than an hour.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    lol ^^^^ yea dont be a ask-hole ahah just kidding. well sorta. :hopelessness:
    sometimes it takes just sitting there and figuring things out on your own where you can come up with own conclusions if you dont think the advice your getting is correct. just sayin
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Charb wrote: »
    Detailed explanation? Wow

And Courtney, I have two wagons pal ;)

I bought my 5speed for almost nothing because 'it needs a clutch'. Of course it was a pedal assembly like usual... at least I listened to wise words of others and it was pulled and fixed in less than an hour.

So you pulled your dash out, fixed your pedal assembly, then put your dash back in, in less then an hour? Now I am confused. haha. IDk I just have never talked a dash before but that seems to be the only fix as of now. Oh well I appreciate your input, now time to figure out what my plan of attack is.
    You don't take your dash out man

matbe pull your seat to give yourself some space to lay down. Definitely don't pull your dash.
    taking the dash out is simple after the first time, just leave 3 bolts holding it when you re-install it lol.
    this is where they eventually snap...

the red dots are bolts that need removing. and of course all the cables connected to each pedal.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Thanks for the response everyone, Ive read a few threads and it seemed like everyone said you had to take the dash out. Idk being 300lb and 6'3 I try to not get under my dash as much as possible, hence why im putting it off. haha again thoughI appreciate all the feedback on this, doesnt look to hard after all.
    thats a good reason alot of us probably didnt even think about, i feel it though i may not weigh 300 lb or be 6'3" but trying to manuver under the dash isnt the simplest task gluck with ur repair work
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    So, I've been reading this thread for a couple days trying to figure out my clutch issue. The picture quarters posted never made sense to me, I could never actually see this part. I pulled the pedal this morning and I still don't see it, upon further inspection I suspect I don't have the same pedal assembly. I have a plate or bracket, whatever you want to call it for the return spring.

Everything seems to be intact. What's the deal? I've got roughly 320,000 miles on this guy, I'm suspecting it may have been replaced already. I've read elsewhere that someone installed a 91 CRX assembly? I'll get pictures soon.
    168.jpg

169.jpg
    170.jpg

Since it's out I feel I may as well reinforce it, I just need to know where. I found a thread but links no longer work and pictures are no longer available! Thanks
    if the stamp code imprinted on the metal says sh5 its wagon specific
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    That set appears to have been hit with a bit of weld in the weak area.
    Thanks for the responses you guys. I ended up just reinstalling it last night anyways since I needed the wagon for today.

I can't remember what the stamp was, I believe it was SH5. It does kinda look like there's been some work done in the area that typically breaks.

Well it was a pain in the butt to do but I at least fully understand what to look for and I have an idea on why it would break. I also lubed up the clutch cable and clutch pedal meeting points, as well as the cable/transmission lever thingamabob.

Clutch is much smoother overall but I still have a point towards the end if the clutch pedal's range of motion, where it just clunks. So I'm suspecting it's the clutch and I'll deal with it later, not in the mood for that heavy of work at this point. Haha
    I have used a CRX pedal box, they work, but position the pedals slightly off. It didn't feel right under my feet, but it did work.
    Just a quick update on my situation, you know for other members who end up researching this thread, the clutch pedal appatently fixed itself. The creak, which is similar to chase's video, was remedied by adding Honda's "Super High Temp Urea Grease" to the pedal and cable meeting point.

However, the "clunk" or "dip" or whatever you want to call it, during the clutch pedal's travel is gone. I just drove to work one morning and realized that the pedal is as smooth as my other hydraulic operated clutch pedaled vehicles I own. I thought maybe because it was warmer out or something, I dunno, but nope, a week later still working perfect. Just thought I'd share.
  • Barqs91Barqs91 Band Wagon
    Just found this thread.. my 2 cents - remember to remove the plastic bushings from the clutch pedal pivot shaft/rod before you let anyone weld it. Or just go ahead and buy new bushings before you pull the assembly..
    I have one that someone other than me brazed with the bushings in place....
    Oooo what's that smell?