LHD lower consoles

Hey guys,

Where is the best place to find a LHD lower console? Is my only option going to be scouring eBay?

Thanks!

Comments

• Try some of the ef facebook groups
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Try Banane here on the forums, not sure about his prices but he should have 1 or 2 of them.

I'll keep an eye out for you too :)
  • RevmaynardRevmaynard Council Member
    Thanks Vladi! I'm looking for one in brown mostly. I might be interested in a blue one as well for lil'ghost if the price is right!
    hmmm, will be hard to find one here then, our Shuttles rarely have brown or blue interior.
    Bummer. Well I messaged them yesterday either way!
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Would the RHD console not work if you also used the RHD shift surround?
    That's a good question. Now I'm wondering if there is even a difference in the shift surrounds. They aren't offset from one side to the other based on LHD or RHD are they? I wonder if it's just a matter of the direction the lower console contours depending on which side is your drive side.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I believe that is it - both components simply angle one way or the other depending on the market requirement.
    The lower console is shaped so the driver position has more legroom.
    Let me search a pic for clearing up my poor English:

JDM/UKDM/NZDM/AUSDM/RHD_DM

242.jpg

People who drive on the right side of the road.
    243.jpg

As you can see, one side is "straight", the other is slightly curving.
    Revmaynard wrote: »
    That's a good question. Now I'm wondering if there is even a difference in the shift surrounds. They aren't offset from one side to the other based on LHD or RHD are they? I wonder if it's just a matter of the direction the lower console contours depending on which side is your drive side.

I don't think there is, I think there's only a difference in the contours from the lower part, so you could put a RHD one in your LHD car but it would look "weird".
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    No I don't believe the RHD console would line up with the LHD shift surround. Hence needing both items. It could even be as simple as just the centre console and the metal bracket underneath the shift surround as that is what positions it.

Lets get some parts together, mix'n'match and see what combos work.

I think the amount of legroom you lose/gain would be pretty negligible.
    I can photograph a USDM shift surround if need be!
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    Vladi wrote: »
    I don't think there is, I think there's only a difference in the contours from the lower part, so you could put a RHD one in your LHD car but it would look "weird".

RHD lower console will NOT fit in a LHD wagon.

Will NOT WORk.

I repeat IT WILL NOT WORK.
    Hey Bill.....are you sure it will not work?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    BillBoard wrote: »
    RHD lower console will NOT fit in a LHD wagon.

Will NOT WORk.

I repeat IT WILL NOT WORK.

A fact that is well established. Which is why we are talking about also swapping the shift surround.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    Haydz wrote: »
    A fact that is well established. Which is why we are talking about also swapping the shift surround.

The shift surround is the same. Where it mounts is not. You will run out of carpet if you move it that 1 inch or so to account for the favoring to the left/right of the lower console.. and your shifter shaft will hit the edge of the shift surround (when trying to hit first gear)... if you try to move the shift surround to fit....

I tried it all. ONce upon a time i bought a RHD console on accident. Like 10 years ago... Anyways I threw it in the trash like it was a baby born in the back alley at a highschool dance...

I know it doesn't look like it favors oneside a huge amount over the other side but it really is a huge deal. im sure anything and everything is possible, but maybe if you swapped the carpet too? but then the carpet for the gas tank would be not right? I dunno... you could saw up some shit. weld some shit. or you could take a shit and be way ahead of the game...
    I'm sorry for saying stupid things Bill :hopelessness:
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    There is two metal brackets attached to the chassis that the surround screws into. It will be those that determine the position.