Making HP...

Picked up the rt4wd a couple months ago and have been tinkering here and there to get a little more out of it. I did all the usual stuff right off the bat, exhaust, intake, advanced the cam, timing, etc. But I have questions now. Is the cam in the RT a6 motor the same as the CRX SI a6 cam? I went to check the ecu and I see a pm6 which is typical to the crx SI's. I can't seem to find any info on the crx cam being different than the RT cam but this a6 just doesn't put out like the SI a6's I am used to. I know the car is 600 pounds+ heavier than a crx, turning a 4x4 drivetrain and all that but still it just doesn't have the spunk a SI a6 has. What is the deal with the RT a6? Is it completely identical to the crx si a6?

I think I posted a pic of it before.

137.jpg

Comments

• JDMWago666JDMWago666 Senior Wagonist
    It's the same motor.
    Weight does make a HUGE difference.
  • VPTVPT Band Wagon
    JDMWago666 wrote: »
    It's the same motor.
    Weight does make a HUGE difference.

I know weight can make a difference, but not this big of difference. Not sure if it is well known but just the sound of the intake isn't the same as a regular SI. That is what got me to thinking the cam may be different (less overlap or lift). Every other SI I put a intake on would "bark" pretty good at WOT threw the rpm range. Even with the cam advanced this one just doesn't have the bark of a normal SI motor. When at WOT the RT a6 sounds more like a DX D15.

As far as weight being an issue, it doesn't seem right. I have taken 500 pounds + out of crx's/civic before and the gain in those is no where near the ratio of loss in the RT.

Intake manifolds, throttle bodies, injectors, exhaust mani's, everything is the same as the SI? Its to hard for me to believe. lol

And just so people know I'm not pulling chains I got a few pics of the crx's and stuff that I owned/worked with.

Gutted (1600 pounds) crx.
    forsale021uo3.jpg

These two full interior crx's perform better than the RT.
    574508_3008732896698_1213721628_32175389_2100624833_n.jpg

That brown thing in the first post is also stripped and I believe was down to 1900 when I sold it.
    picture.php?albumid=15218&pictureid=61369

Even this full interior pile performed better before I stripped it and sent it to the smelter.
    crxparts001wp2.jpg

Now I don't expect the RT to be as fast as the civics or crx's, I just expect the motor to perform like it should. Compression is even and good all accost the board, everything is maintained and up and up. It just baffles me. :hopelessness:
  • H22AEKCIVH22AEKCIV Band Wagon
    Its cool i stumbled across this thread. Im trading for a rt this week and just bought a crx si motor because the motor is gone. I should be able to answer some questions in the next few weeks about differences. I know i will have to swap the fly wheel and cluch setup on the si motor because it is out of 88 and the rt is 90. I also read somewhere that the oil pan is shaped a little differently put ill verify that myself.
  • VPTVPT Band Wagon
    Yes from what I have read the oil pan is different. The RT is new to me, I've never had the privilege to work on one before. I was very happy to find a nice one, it is a shame it is a rust free one since I will be driving it in winter. I know how hard rust free virgin hondas are to find.

I originally thought about putting a supercharger on the D when I got the RT but don't want the bad mileage. If I can't relatively cheaply get this little D to perform at least a bit better I think I will start gathering parts for a B series to mate to the D trans. I love the EF chassis with a B in it!
  • You're not taking a few things into account with your comparison.

-Transmission gearing
    -Transfercase power loss

These two things alone will rob power compared to your crx, even though they're the same exact motor.
  • driftin90driftin90 Senior Wagonist
    I want your garage...
  • driftin90 wrote: »
    I want your garage...

Me too! Is that a loft above the lift? I would KILL for that!
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Disengage the rear driveshaft and go for a spin.
  • VPTVPT Band Wagon
    bam-bam wrote: »
    Disengage the rear driveshaft and go for a spin.

I was wondering about that today while driving around. I was curious if even though still turning if the case was disengaged would it make a difference. I won't do it now because winter is right around the corner but in the spring I will give it a try. Thanks!

Others: no loft above the shop, just parts storage :)
  • VPTVPT Band Wagon
    Did more adjusting and playing with stuff and I do believe it is getting better. I have to replace the injectors because the PO ran E85 all the time. Injectors are leaking at the plastic to metal seam.
  • VPTVPT Band Wagon
    Time for a ZC!
  • I have one, it's all right =D It still being DPFI doesn't help though.
  • VPTVPT Band Wagon
    Is it a dohc zc with a dpfi intake? :)

I did pick up a dohc zc a couple weeks ago. It will be my winter project to make the head flow and maybe do some lower end "something". I would really like b16 power out of it.
  • Nah, SOHC non vtec, so effectively about the same as a Z6 or so. Though I do want to get a Z6 for building.

What B16 are you trying to match the power from though? I'd think that would be a hard target to match the 170 horsepower without having the vtec to broaden that powerband, though if you were going for the ones that are closer to 150 that could be possible.

I think the torque is near enough to that that if you did manage to bump up the horsepower you'd have a sight more torque than the B16 has anyway, so that could be cool.

If you have easy access to E85 I'd absolutely bump up the compression on it and run some of that through it. Definitely take some pics of any tear down you're doing.
  • VPTVPT Band Wagon
    Yes, I will be shooting for the 140-160hp range.

From what I read the stock compression on the dohc zc is 9.2:1, I would like to bring that up to around 10:1ish and still run pump gas (91-92oct). We do have some e85 pumps around but honestly I hate the stuff and I don't want to be reliant on a fuel I might not be able to find when traveling around. My kids will one day be driving this car as well so I don't want them to have to worry about what gas they are putting in.

I will most definitely take pics of everything as it goes along.

I did have a thought yesterday when I was thinking about the build. I am almost certain of the answer but does anyone know if dohc LS cams fit the ZC head?
  • Not sure what gas is available where you're at. I know a guy I was friends with had a celica GT-S one of the last gens and that thing ran 11.5 compression ratio and it ran off of pump gas. Though with much more timing stuff than we have available. If you were gonna really do a full rebuild on it have it sleeved and run some oversized pistons as well.

Regarding the Ethanol though I think some of the chipped ECUs allow for timing adjustment, and I know they have ethanol sensors. Might be something to look in to, advance the hell out of the timing when it's running E85 and retard it back when it senses it's not.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Saw this on the latest MCM ep... http://www.haltech.com/flex-fuel-sensor-explained/
  • Haydz wrote: »
    Pretty much exactly what I was talking about right there. I saw them talking about this on the gramps build and was like "Holy shit" that's absolutely why I want to do an E85 build. If you can do it, it seems like there's absolutely no reason not to. Just don't tell Turbo Yoda we're putting them in Hondas.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    And then you're going to buy into the whole haltech setup... Probably better options out there for much less coin.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    https://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/index.html?flex_fuel.htm cant beat it for the price. s300 is pretty awesome.
  • VPTVPT Band Wagon
    I have an s300 in one of my crx's, it is a great system. However I am still not an e85 fan :nightmare:

This motor will run on 91-93 pump gas, will have 10+:1CR and will take all the timing I will throw at it and like it! lol

I mean if my B16 crx with a supercharger at 9.5 psi running on 16 degrees base timing with 91-93 octane pump gas can do it there is no reason this NA zc can't.

That way I don't have to worry about the rubber fuel lines, the fuel pump, o-rings, injectors, fpr, or a crappy idle. :D Not to mention e85 is super hygroscopic and has a very short shelf life. Just to much to worry about with e85.