Who wants a Carbon Fiber Hood for their 88-91 Civic Wagon??

13»

Comments

• turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    i wonder if a few of us WA folks got together we could save on shipping.....
  • I will be emailing them tomorrow and should have a guesstimate next week. I also need to know if the 88-89 wagon hoods are the same as the 90-91. Also are there any other pieces that you guys would like in carbon fiber? Doors, Hatch, fenders or lip?
  • NJCIVICWAGON1NJCIVICWAGON1 Council Member
    Carbon fiber hatch would be sick!
  • FSC4wdFSC4wd familEE
    Carbon fiber hatch would be sick!

Stupid sick! Oh and what about a hatch that fills the top so we can use whatever EF(or aftermarket) hatch spoiler we want. :shock:
  • mvmmvm Wagonist
    Hahaha, the rear doors in Carbon would be sick !!
  • jpciiijpciii familEE
    why not a carbon roof while we're at it...

I would love to get a carbon fiber hood for my wagon, but it needs too many other things first. I'm a couple years away from buying a hood, but I guess you could count me in for this deal.
  • Well let me know what you guys want made in carbon fiber. They can make us ANYTHING. One thing I thought of to have made in CF is the rear plate garnish.
  • curtcurt Wagonist
    a lip would be nice
  • mvmmvm Wagonist
    How about a SOHC Valve Cover ??
  • Curt, which lip?

Mvm I actuall thought of that same idea a couple days ago. LOL I think they can do it but i don't know how well it would work with the threads for the oil cap.
  • jeffsciv23jeffsciv23 New Wagonist
    i almost picked up a CF hood for a crx the other day because the guy only wanted $80 for it. i didn't act quick enough so somebody else got it :(
  • If the price is right, count me in. I wouldn't want to spend more than ....$350ish?? I know that a smaller run could mean higher prices, and depending on the quality I might go higher. But if this goes through those of us who would buy them would truly have one off parts for the wagon!
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    so what ever happend to this group buy?
  • duckie8310duckie8310 Senior Wagonist
    dead. i havent seen jdmcarboy post in a loonnnnnng time
  • There is obvious interest in this still becoming a possibility, and I need a new hood anyway, so I'm going to contact some CF companies and see how low of a run they will do. I'm guessing 10 could be sold as an initial run, but I don't know what will be profitable for a company. I'll keep you guys posted as I gather more info.
  • Well, sadly enough after mailing 3 companies, I've only managed 1 response, which was a "no". I'll keep looking for companies...but hope seems bleak.
  • I can do it in the UK. They will be full carbon fibre both sides and it'll be EXTREMELY strong. I have a pic of me standing on my CRX CF bonnet.

But, the cost wont be cheap. It'll be $1000 plus shipping :?
    Minimum 5 order.

Yeah. You've just picked yourself back up off the floor...

But I know I can go to the guy like tomorrow and he'll start work on them :roll: :?
  • :shock: WOW, am i in the wrong business or what!?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    ThinkFab wrote:
    :shock: WOW, am i in the wrong business or what!?

He's talking about the real deal carbon fibre hood with carbon fibre skeleton, all done in double weave. ;)

The ones you see 99% of the time have a fibreglass skeleton with a carbon fibre skin or, the single weave carbon fibre skeleton and a double weave skin. They are much cheaper to make then.
  • Bingo.
    We did this for the CRX because one of the guys had a JDM glass roof one where the CF on fibreglass bonnet ripped off at the pins and smashed his glass roof.

The repalcements were done in 100% CF inside and out and so strong that when the bonnet lifted on mine thanks to the wind catching it when propped open, it smashed my windscreen, trashed the hinges and caught the wing. The bonnet didn't have a scratch.

There is another guy here with the same run of bonnets who flipped his car and it dragged down the road on the front end. He wears his battle scars with pride on the replacement crx with the same bonnet.

Doesn't help either that the dollar is uber weak against the pound at the moment.

I can see about getting CF on top of fibre. Can certainly get just fibreglass done no problem for a lot less.
  • UPDATE:

I've asked about doing a fibreglass bonnet with the new guy. No problem.
    I can get these done for about £200 each (that's $400ish) based on an order of 5.
    If more people then the price goes down as part of that cost is paying for the first mold to be done.

He is trying an experiement with some SiR bonnets with CF on top of fibreglass. If it works out for those then it should be possible to do the same thing for the shuttle one.
    Prices likely to be about £300 each ($600ish) again minimum of five.

Prices are approximate and I'm estimating on the high side.
    So, this isn't "Made in China cheap", but it is a quality product. I can get pictures of the SiR bonnets for an example if needed.

There is also the problem of shipping to the USA. Ideally, this needs to be done in a batch on one pallet to one guy and distributed at your end.

If someone in the Armed Forces over in Europe could help out with that then I can probably get them delivered to base as I know a trucker who travels from the UK to Solvenia (via Germany) and back regularly.

Bit of a mission huh :lol:
    So who wants one. Really. :?:
  • I would be willing to help you out if it was smaller. Here is the problem with hoods. They are too large to go through USPS. There is a 70 lb limit, which of course wouldn't be a problem. However there is a size limit. You get 130 linear inches. That is longest measurement plus girth. If this goes over 130 inches it is a NO GO!!!!

This would be so sweet and I would love to help out our fellow wagon owners but the hoods are just too large.

I have had fiberglass bumpers shipped but they had to be cut in half and reassembled over here. Sucks but those are the rules.

I would say get more like 10 people to go with this (which probably won't happen) and ship them at one time. Get one large crate and split up the shipping.
  • A pallet is 1.2x1x1 metres. Would that be too big, because I can mount them to pallets all day long (no idea on shuttle bonnet size at this time of night and temperature) ?

Perhaps there are enough people in Euro land to make this worthwhile ? I think perhaps you might want one? :wink:
  • yo dude im totally in for the cb hood.... i would like to know how much will cost me the shipping ( huntingdon valley, PA 19006) and if its going to be through ur online store.... can they make for me w the evo style for me i like that design lol. www.civicwagon.com
  • I can get the guy to do a one off in any style you want for about $1800 :lol:
    Doing the mold is the killer cost involved, tho now they are making frikkin jumbo's from carbon there is somewhat of a worldwide stortage.

I'm not a store or anything mate, just trying to help out fellow shuttle owners.
  • lol i think w that money i would be able to get another wagon lol.... besides i think u r in england right?... well top i willing to pay is around 600 bucks .... anyways does anyone have just the regular hood.... i think getting tired of lookin around lol i even contact sebors company but they dont have it.... i think this is bs cause i know so many people will buy them for their wagons... thanks dude anyways
  • I think the best thing for you to try is to ring round boat builders or something like that.

I find guys like this over here from the yellow pages looking for "fibreglass" get talking and if they don't do it themselves they might know someone who do. I'm sure they pass work around a lot.
    Problem is that fibreglassing is pretty easy, carbon is a lot harder, cosmetic carbon is even worse.

If you didn't give a rats ass that it was smooth I know a guy who can do it pretty well (he made a clam sheel front end for his kit car from carbon scraps he got from work, but he's painting it) but it's more for the look than the weight right ?

I've got a line on anotehr guy who might be cheaper or better prepared to do one skinned in carbon.
    Getting it under $600 shipped is the tricky part tho thanks to the weak ass dollar at the moment.
  • did this ever get going?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    2007. :confused:
This discussion has been closed.