is 59300 comp camshaft for my d16z6 worth it?

Here is how the engine looks now:

72.jpg

Here are the current engine specs for those of you that have not read my thread:

- D16z6 Engine.
- P29 pistons (12.5+ compression expected).
- 75.5 bore.
- H22 Throttle body (60mm)
- all new seals, belts, rings, bearings.
- new water pump.
- valve seating job.
- NGK BKR6E spark plugs.
- New spark plug wires.
- 3" intake w/ pipercross filter.
- 2.25 exhaust with 4-2-1 manifold.
- Exedy clutch.
- Oil catch can (catches both from pcv and head ).
- P28 ecu.

The car is currently on the engine break in period (400 miles in and 600 more to go).

So today I got an offer to buy a used comp camshaft 59300 for ~ $140!

I have had mixed feelings reading online about this cam, but so far this is what I have got from it:

- The cam makes more power and pulls stronger until redline - 7200/7400 rpm.
- The cam does NOT need upgraded valves/springs/retainers if it is not boosted or revved way above the stock limiter.
- The cam does NOT make power after 7200 rpm, so it is not worth revving it much higher.
- The cam is said to make excessive noise at idle.

However, having all that said I think it probably is worth to buy it and drop it in before the dyno day.

What do you think?

Comments

• With that high of compression a better flowing cam will definitely add power.... but will it add enough to justify the work and money spent? Also will the mpg drop? These are things to consider.
    If your willing to do the work it needs to get it in and it's not breaking the bank I vote yes swap cam
  • With that high of compression a better flowing cam will definitely add power.... but will it add enough to justify the work and money spent? Also will the mpg drop? These are things to consider.
    If your willing to do the work it needs to get it in and it's not breaking the bank I vote yes swap cam
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Cam price new is $300+. I can get used one for 140. So yes it is cheap. Labor is not a problem, I have built the motor and the whole car myself, so I estimate 40-60 minutes of work at most.
  • Yeah with the simplicity of swapping a cam I'd say why not, give it a go see how it works. Worst case, it sucks and get a different cam. I'm not sure how they are for the all motor builds but the Bisimoto cams for turbos seriously put the hurt on the competition.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/sstp-1007-1995-honda-civic/

Might be worth a gander to check out the level 2 or level 3 bisimoto cam. I'm going with a 2.4 for my build.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Yeah if only I was in usa, I would just order a bunch of new parts and be done with it. Here parts are much much more expensive, and it becomes silly to build a sohc for that much $ as NA.

But I just love the na feeling and that screeching sound coming from the front of the car as well as the intake. That is also why I got a super quiet exhaust.
  • trx357trx357 Band Wagon
    I've got the same camshaft in my y8/a6 mini me with matching springs. It pulls strong and idles nice. My engine is also in break in stage under 50 miles but built for turbo. I'd suggest to degree the camshaft when you install it