5 lug question

Would it be possible/safe to modify the hub to be 5 lug instead of 4 ? What I mean is cut the part off the hub the actually holds the lugs and get a new piece welded on that has the 5 bolt lugs ? If that's not clear I can try n re word it. I just want 5 lug on my rt with rear disk to match my type r front.

Comments

• You could do that but I sure as hell wouldn't trust it. Getting alignment perfect with welding, having it machined to fit.

Here's another similar thread on it https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?15631-RT-ITR-5-Lug-Conversion

This may have been said elsewhere and I'm just shooting from the hip, but if I were to attempt this in a similar fashion as to what you're saying. I would not chance cutting any hub parts. I'd press out the studs, fill weld the holes and have new holes drilled at a machine shop in the right pattern that you're looking for.

If you're trusting yourself for the work you might want to get as cheap as possible of a lug conversion spacer from ebay if they make one in this arrangement. I don't know if they do, so search around. But that could be used as a guide for the new bolt pattern.

But yeah I would not want to try to cut the face off one hub and try to weld it on to another and hope for it to be perfectly true and warp free. Seems like that would be a fine spot for something to fly apart at speed unless it was done professionally, and if it was done professionally it's a lot cheaper to just fill weld the old holes and redrill.
  • invalidinvalid Wagonist
    Fair enough that's why I asked. I'm gonna measure and see if I can get it made to the correct pattern. I want it safe. Thanx for the thoughts on this. Much appreciated.
  • From that I've seen, the hubs faces are decently thick. Some are only built up around the studs themselves. If I recall correctly ours are a pretty uniform thickness. Any decent machine shop will be able to drill on a 5x114.3 pattern, as well as fill in the existing stud holes. I'm looking at having a jig made so I can do this myself, since I have the welder already and can fill as needed.
    i think your right about the thickness. hopefully thats all it takes is a quick weld up job. then after that hopefully i can use the cd1 brackets and have the disk brake part figured out.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    would 4x114 be easier and safer ? i would assume so ? really 4x114 would be fine for me I'd do anything to rock a set of 96 itr rims
  • Yeah 4 lug to another 4 lug is pretty easy. Though I'm thinking up a jig for DIY redrills on 4 to 5 lug. It would still require one having a welder though.
    i have 5 lug itr stuff for my car thats why im asking about 5 lug. looking at the pics of the hubs i think 4x114 would be easier
  • Yeah sticking with the same number of lugs is always easier you just rotate a bit and you're usually in a spot that you can re-drill without much else going on. Going from 4 to 5 there is always going to be some interference somewhere causing you to have to fill things, then drill.

That said if I'm able to figure out a jig for it. I'll gladly zip these things out, wouldn't be too terribly difficult to do once jigged.
    Yeah sticking with the same number of lugs is always easier you just rotate a bit and you're usually in a spot that you can re-drill without much else going on. Going from 4 to 5 there is always going to be some interference somewhere causing you to have to fill things, then drill.

That said if I'm able to figure out a jig for it. I'll gladly zip these things out, wouldn't be too terribly difficult to do once jigged.
    well get on it already lol
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    yeah and make rt ones too! AYEEEEE!:very_drunk:
    klum wrote: »
    yeah and make rt ones too! AYEEEEE!:very_drunk:

i am asking specifically for the rt