How-To: 90-93 Accord Armrest Install

Hello again all!

For those of us with 90-91 wagons, our armrest options are either DB2 Integra armrest or the 90-93 Accord version. Without a doubt the DB2 Integra armrest fits the Civic much better, but they seem to be harder to come by and demand a higher price.

For those with a DB2 armrest, there is a great install thread here:
http://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?3579-DB2-Armrest-installation&highlight=integra+armrest

The DB2 armrest has a bend on both sides for better clearance around the driveshaft/exhaust tunnel, but the Accord one has the bend only on one side and is straight on the other. Because of this, the mounting of the Accord is narrower than that of the DB2. If you try to spread the Accord armrest to clear the tunnel it will crack the lower plastic. So, I removed the plastic to see if that would allow the metal to be spread. It may be easier to explain in the pics below:

Lower plastic removed:
22.jpg

You can see that the right leg is straight and the left one is bent:
23.jpg

Due to the metal body angles under the carpet, I was only able to put one screw in per side but it holds just fine. I saw some people screwing these armrests into the plastic e-brake cover which would not be sturdy and positioned it too high, so this is a much better option IMO. I also undercoated the bottom of the car where the screws poked through to prevent rust issues. You could cut the carpet as done in the DB2 link above, but it wasn't a big deal to me since it blends with the exposed seat brackets:
24.jpg

Other views:
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg

No cupholders like the Integra one, but that's ok. Any storage is an improvement in the wagons.
32.jpg

Once again, this isn't the ideal setup, but the Accord armrest has been much easier for me to find than the Integra and for a fraction of the price. Just thought I would post up a solution. Oh, and it is very sturdy, much more than I thought it would be. I don't have any problems with it rotating on the screw axis.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Thanks for the idea, I just picked one up.14.jpg
  • MrWhoopeeMrWhoopee Wagonist
    I just picked up one of these in tan from Pick-n-Pull. The lid was missing. I had planned to try using a heat-gun to soften and reshape the lower shell, but it was too badly busted up, so I just removed it. I bent the straight side of the bracket to match the other one, which made the whole thing fit quite well.

156.jpg

With 4 self-tapping screws it is very solid. Painted the box satin black and made a lid from 3/4 ply, to which I will add foam and (hopefully) black leather upholstery.

157.jpg

If it's not tall enough when done, I will put a riser between the box and bracket.

Edit: Looks like I need to vacuum.

Edit 2: More trouble with civicwagon.org.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    thanks for the insight looks like ill be looking for a 90-93 accord arm rest ! ha
  • MrWhoopeeMrWhoopee Wagonist
    I went back to PnP yesterday and found an armrest lid I thought would fit. Then went to the local bead & craft shop and found some nice, soft gray leather. Came home and found that the lid would fit, not perfectly, but close enough. Covered it with the leather and here it is.

[IMG][/img]P1010283.jpg

I had to reverse the latch tab for it to line up with the hole in the box.
    [IMG][/img]P1010284.jpg

The lid sits a little off center (visible from the back) because the hinge is offset to one side. I suppose I could fix it if I actually cared. On the upside, the offset makes the latch tab grab the lip of the opening. If it was centered, it wouldn't catch at all.

[IMG][/img]P1010285.jpg

I'm happy. :encouragement: