my roof lost its support?????

does anyone know what i can use to fill my roof support when i open my windows my roof caves in and i opened up the liner and i saw that there was a gap and something that seams to be filling that has gave way over age so the support and the roof are no longer held together... its annoying when i drive on the freeway it just makes lots of dent noises and when i get home or park my car somewere i have to push my roof out from the inside...help me please! what is it called how do i search about it?

Comments

• 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    how about a photo?
  • ee2lowlifeee2lowlife Band Wagon
    ok will post tomorrow or find a refrence photo my gf took my car to work
    499.jpg
    not my roof or even a wagon just an example...

do i have to weld it back together? and there is black residue from like some type of seal is there just a seal out there i can fill it with? it doesnt look like it was welded together ever i think there some type of seal but i dont know where to start.
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    You use expandable foam. It comes in a tube, just squeeze some up there and it will restick together, five minute fix.
    thank you!
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Be careful, it expands a lot, dont want to have a big bump in your roof!
  • JonafinJonafin Wagonist
    This will help me too. I have to get some foam and try it out.
  • mine and my buddies do the same thing. not for long hahaha
  • Any updates on this? Just curious what foam you guys have been using. Great stuff?
  • I had the same issue with the roof. I used black silicone and rigged a brace to hold it back up overnight. Have no more issues anymore.

217.jpg

547.jpg

good luck!
  • AlaskaB16AlaskaB16 New Wagonist
    ^^ Good idea. I need to do that on my 2wd. The 4wd seems to be holding strong still.
  • DKW 86DKW 86 Band Wagon
    There is a low growth foam that comes in a black. The golden foam is really fast and grows too much IMHO.

I would use the black silicon myself.
  • I am about to deal with this issue. I want to know what fixes hold up over time. Those of you who've done it, what did you use and is it still holding?
  • While you have it open I'd personally line the entire thing in addition to reattaching the supports. Reattach them then use whatever foil backed liner you prefer to help hold it as well. Apply some heat to it to get it nice and tucked in to all the parts but it'll serve a double purpose to not only help insulate the car against heat and noise but act as an additional binder securing the ribs to the roof.

I haven't done this yet myself, but it's on the list of things to do this summer as time permits. I plan on using construction grade polyurethane adhesive to stick it together. I did that on the hood where it separated and it's not coming back apart.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    can you post a pic or link to the stuff you used? Im painting my roof here in a few weeks and would like to knock this out as well
  • I used Ultra Black. It's what I had in the garage at the time.
  • MrWhoopeeMrWhoopee Wagonist
    I just glued mine up, using Loctite PL Construction Adhesive urethane.
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_ca_prem/features/Loctite-PL-Premium-Polyurethane-Construction-Adhesive.htm

I first used a utility knife to remove as much of the old stuff as possible. I think I know why it failed. It looks like they used something like plain old black RTV silicone, but the way it's put together there is supposed to be about a 1/8 in. gap between the support and the roof. Silicone has no strength in a bead that thick, it just split down the middle, leaving half attached to each piece. When clamping, I tried to leave about that much space. If the support is pushed all the way up to the roof, it might pull the roof down when the pressure is released. Here's a pic of the setup.

35.jpg
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    Fix your pic!
    Funny, it looked fine before. This isn't the first time I've had that problem with civicwagon.org. Might have to go back to photobucket.
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    Nice, good stuff. I definitely need to do that on mine, and like I said I'm gonna be doing some dynamat over all of that as well. Better sound insulation, better heat resistance. All around good. Might wanna look at that before you button things up.
    Nice, good stuff. I definitely need to do that on mine, and like I said I'm gonna be doing some dynamat over all of that as well. Better sound insulation, better heat resistance. All around good. Might wanna look at that before you button things up.

I'm using some 1/2 in. thick, foil-faced (actually mylar, I think) heat reflecting urethane foam sound absorber from McMaster-Carr.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#sound-dampers/=x0pmn9
    Better thermal characteristics.

Here's the material:
    [IMG][/img]P1010267.jpg

Installed:
    [IMG][/img]P1010272.jpg

The roof is amazingly solid now that the adhesive has dried.
    Next: recover the headliner.