Benefit of having rt4wd?

Came across a video on youtube and now wondering what is the benefit of having real time 4wd?
http://youtu.be/t09ExAUgtyE

In the video the test is done with a honda crv rt4wd and it seems the car can't transfer power to the rear wheels while front wheels are slipping.

Comments

• That's Subaru propaganda. I like how they make the CRV RT4WD system sound like this mysterious thing that runs on pixie dust and so proprietary that even Subaru can't understand it. Fact of the matter is that they both use viscous couplers and function the same. My guess is that he is barely holding down the gas or has the break on, I know for a fact a wagon or CRV would roll right up that.
  • Not at all the same system that is in the wagon.

The wagons are old school and have a simple viscous coupler between the front and rear. If the coupler is healthy and tight plenty of power gets transferred to the rear even if the front is slipping. If the coupler is in a situation where it is slipping for an extended period heat will build up in the viscous fluid and get into a condition called "hump" at which point the coupler is nearly locked up and will transfer nearly 100% of the power to the rear. Really a neat system when it is working and healthy.

That said, the Subaru system uses a center differential to transfer power front and rear and then has a viscous limited slip function in that center differential to transfer some power to the axle with grip.

The CR-V system uses a hydraulic pump and electronically controlled clutch pack in the rear differential to "turn on" the rear axle as needed. Not the greatest system in the world but it does provide better handling and better fuel economy than the wagon or Subaru.

A good tight viscous coupler in a wagon you will feel bind as you turn into a parking space or do slow speed tight turning. It will also make the car under steer really bad while off throttle.
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    I like how everyone is praising Subaru on the video. I had a 2001 2.5RS that was worthless without snow tires. However, with snow tires it was almost unstoppable.We sold it because it was a piece of crap.

My RT4WD wagon is nearly unstoppable with all seasons! I've climbed steeper grades of hills on snow and iice than this video tries to replicate, no problem. I call Subaru propaganda as well.
  • I can say from experience, the RT4WD system in the wagon is pretty dam good. We have been hit pretty hard the past two months with snow (Something like 5-6 feet) so I have used it in some very slippery and deep snow. In fact, I have had to put it in low to climb over foot and half tall snow piles the plows have left me at the end of my driveway. She just goes right through them like butter. I've been able to go through a little less than a foot of snow up and down the driveway too. It's all been very easy. Tons of traction. I've never driven a vehicle this confident in the snow. Oh... but I do think the new tires help.

It's fun when the rear axle kicks in too. Sometimes in heavy snow, I will press the throttle and the car will fish-tail.... tricks me into thinking I'm a drifter.

I'm pretty sure the wagon's AWD system would get it through that Subaru test.
  • For the past week here in Kentucky we have had snow, 8 in where I'm at. I have had no problem driving around town..
    I also have a 98 CRV, the wagon handles way better than the CRV.
    The wagon has been awesome in the snow, not a single problem..
    I Love my Wagon!!!
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    I can say from experience, the RT4WD system in the wagon is pretty dam good. We have been hit pretty hard the past two months with snow (Something like 5-6 feet) so I have used it in some very slippery and deep snow. In fact, I have had to put it in low to climb over foot and half tall snow piles the plows have left me at the end of my driveway. She just goes right through them like butter. I've been able to go through a little less than a foot of snow up and down the driveway too. It's all been very easy. Tons of traction. I've never driven a vehicle this confident in the snow. Oh... but I do think the new tires help.

It's fun when the rear axle kicks in too. Sometimes in heavy snow, I will press the throttle and the car will fish-tail.... tricks me into thinking I'm a drifter.

I'm pretty sure the wagon's AWD system would get it through that Subaru test.

Haha it is awesome when the rear wheels kick in! It was scary at first then I realised, "This car's got this. ;)"
  • I have a 88 rt4wd and a 99 forester gt, my bottom driveway is covered in moss and the civic makes it up the driveway easy where as the forester just lays a static burnout.
    Road driving the subaru understeers less then the civic though, I've been leaving the rt in 2wd for that reason for daily driving duties