How to disengage four wheel drive

2»

Comments

• tinhpttinhpt Band Wagon
    Hello,

My 86 4WD has a "push button" 4WD, not an RT. The level looks different as picture bellow. I guess there was something (cable or a motor ???) to control that level to engage that 4WD when we press the button on the dash.

495.jpg

when i got this wagon, the previous owner removed the propeller shalf and disconnnected everything related to 4WD so it's running only on FWD. I've been looking everywhere to find a manual for my transmission to restore the 4WD function.

Appreciate very much anyone can give me a manual, picture, description of how the 4WD works on this transmission.
  • some fella on fb are posting weird info about which year RTs came with this lever. what / which years didnt come with this lever? or do they all? because i wouldnt understand why only some years did and some didnt. enlighten them please.

said 88 rt didnt, but mine does and is currently fwd.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    All '88-'91 RTs are as pictured in the first posts of this thread.

I have no personal experience of the '84-'87 models, but I understand that they are different.
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    I have two 88 transmissions and they both have the lever. So does my 89 transmission.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    JDM RTi

339.jpg

340.jpg
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    r8edm wrote: »
    My results

4WD
    Distance traveled: 261.7km
    Fuel used: 24.77L
    Conditions: Daily driver - 50/50 town and motorway

Results:
    10.56 Km/L
    29.85 M/G
    9.46 L/100km

2WD
    Distance traveled: 401km
    Fuel used: 36.18L
    Conditions: Daily driver - 50/50 town and motorway

Results:
    11.08 Km/L
    31.31 M/G
    9.02 L/100km

Very little difference between 2wd and 4wd.
    Also tested 91 octane compared to 95 (not in this test) and didn't find any difference that was of significance.

I always wanted to try this but wasn't sure if it was okay to drive with 4wd disengaged. I have a daily commute of 100 miles round trip for work and always enjoy trying to bump up my MPG. I may try this...weather permitting.