Got a New Wagon! - But... It's not a Honda

I used to own a 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser. I loved this truck very much. Due to financial reasons and a low point in life, I made the regretful decision to sell it. I Have missed it since the day it drove away. :sorrow:
I always watch them on Ebay, and get very excited when I see one out and about. On our family vacation in August to Colorado I was amazed by the amount of beautiful cruisers I saw out there. Every time I saw one I'd shout out "Land Cruiser!" and the wife and kids would laugh - It became quite the game. By day 10 out there I couldn't take it anymore. I told the wife "as soon as we get home, I'm selling my pickup and buying another Land Cruiser." Thad is exactly what I did. I put my 2001 Nissan Frontier that I bought on a whim 10 months ago and never really liked, up for sale and sold it for what I gave for it!
The Hunt was on! Watched Ebay, and stared browsing heavily on the LC forums. Then It popped up in the for sale section on IH8MUD.com It was an 1986 FJ60. The guy had it shipped up from Texas last year from the second owner. He bought it to build for his wife, but due to his FJ40 project and a sick horse, he had to let it go. He pretty much let it go in the same condition he got it. (sad) The wife drove me up last Saturday to check it out. When I got there I knew I had found my new project. I made the deal, Loaded up all those goodies, and drove her the 194 miles home!
It has 248,000 miles. No rust, and only one small dent in the fender. It came with a TON of spare parts including extra wheels and tires, an 3" lift kit, brand new carpet kit - both not installed. Paint has some clearcoat fading but all in due time. Here it is the day I got it home. She's dirty and need lots of love! I have lots of love to give :)

93.jpg
94.jpg
95.jpg
96.jpg
97.jpg
98.jpg
99.jpg

Week one has been busy! I gutted the interior, scrubbed everything down and installed the new carpet kit. Much better :)
Also done: New pedal pads, shift knob, Yakima rack, Larger side view mirrors, Ebay brush guard, and lots more on the way!
I have also begin painting and polishing all the bits and pieces as well as replacing or fixing all the little broken items like light lenses etc...

100.jpg
101.jpg
102.jpg
103.jpg
104.jpg
105.jpg
106.jpg
107.jpg
108.jpg
109.jpg

It's no Honda, but I love my new Land Cruiser! Nice to be back.
She still has a long way to go but it will be a fun project!

Comments

• BillBoardBillBoard council member
    love it, and it looks like you're off to a great start.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Definitely looks like you can have a lot more fun with that than a frontier. And nice attention to detail like always. Keep the updates rolling.
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Took it out to play on saturday! Wife took pics.
    138.jpg
    139.jpg
    140.jpg
    141.jpg

Goodies are arriving in the mail also!

Tail light guards, leather steering wheel cover & new dash pad just to name a few.

142.jpg
    143.jpg
    144.jpg
    145.jpg
  • RevmaynardRevmaynard Council Member
    Awesome! I can't wait to see more!
  • Looks great man! My uncle has a 91 land cruiser he is tinkering with. Love the interior
    Man, I have been loving this truck! (not as much as the wagon, but close) Been spending a lot of time doing what I do and bringing her back to life with small details and extras. Upgraded the stereo, LED interior lighting, Trailer hitch, Front NOS fogs with NOS Toyota covers. Lots of little detail painting and small parts replacement. Also been collecting lots of parts to do a total tune-up, and possibly a full de-smog. Going to put her in the garage for a while. There are some idling issues, etc... Just some bugs to work through. Figure a good 250,000 mile service is in order! Here are some pics!

352.jpg

354.jpg

356.jpg

358.jpg

360.jpg

362.jpg

364.jpg

366.jpg
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    Nice one!!!
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Looking nice! I was at tech school today and saw a land cruiser in the parking lot. I think the snorkel would look cool on yours.
    163.jpg
    Damn straight it would! I thought about it but won't do it for a multitude of reasons.
    1. $350 for a plastic tube
    2. Requires cutting massive holes in fender
    3. Don't live in jungle or intend on submerging my cruiser in 5+ feet of water.

Does look badass though!
    nice job cruiser spotting! My first Land Cruiser was exactly like that one. Same color, just not the cool accessories.
    Cruiser hooked up ready to go camping!

164.jpg

165.jpg
    Camping last weekend was a blast! Cruiser did great.

298.jpg

299.jpg

300.jpg

But...Now in the garage.

301.jpg

Started my clean up/tune up of the Cruiser. It was prompted by a master cylinder failure coming home from camping. I got the old one off and ordered a new one along with a new power steering pump. Gave $20 for a used pump for the wagon at pull-a-part. Couldn't find a used one for the truck. They all leak after 200K. Rebuilds have a 98% failure rate, so I pony-ed up the coin for a brand new one from Toyota ($choke$) $399
    Also have noticed some water in the floorboard after rain. After some reading online, I found this is common and causes floor to rust out. I checked - yep, rust. Not bad though. I ground it down and had some POR-15 left over from the wagon so I took care of that real quick. Now it is clean, clean, clean that old motor up until my parts arrive!

Check out that Master cylinder!
    302.jpg

Treated floor - No more rust!
    303.jpg

Dirty old motor, time for a clean up!

304.jpg
    305.jpg
    306.jpg
  • wow super jelly

i been working on my wagon too. but its not a honda either.

ill make a thread on it when i get a chance

also i always wanted a small camper. looks like a fun time
    Scrubbed down the head and shined up valve cover this week. It was a nasty job. Used the controversial method of EZ Off oven cleaner. It worked great although I don't want to do it again. Watch out for the aluminum & rubber! Installed some NGK's and some new gaskets showed up today! The work continues. That is a big ass engine after fooling with my d-series and my 79'

405.jpg
    Back on this project too. It is a few hours at the time - has my garage tied up all winter. Fun nonetheless.
    Aside from draining my bank account, it is coming along nicely. I have all smog equipment removed. Removed and resealed pushrod cover.
    Old power steering pump, radiator, cooling hoses, carburator, distributor, plus just about everything else removed from the engine bay except the block.
    Carb and Dizzy were sent to a Land Cruiser guru in Ohio for a full performance rebuild and custom tune for my desmog & individual driving habits. Again, not cheap
    but it will come back better than new! 5-week turn around on that. He's been doing it on the side since 83' so should be sweet. I could have rebuilt it, but I hate tuning carbs.
    This way it will come back ready to bolt on and drive.
    I the mean time it is a lot more scrubbing and painting brackets and misc parts under the hood.
    I will also be replacing most every gasket I can get too. More parts on their way!!

Mmmm new OEM steering pump...

258.jpg

259.jpg

260.jpg

Air rail removed and plugged.

261.jpg
    262.jpg
    263.jpg

Bye Tired Carburator! Safe travels!

264.jpg
    265.jpg

I was able to source a good passenger seat bottom fabric off the web in this time of rebirth.
    I modded it to fit the torn drivers seat.
    Sound familiar?? Not only are Civic Wagons are plagued with this curse. Man it looks much better now!

Before...
    266.jpg

After!!!
    267.jpg
    Small stain but much, much better.

Man, I can't wait to get this project done and start buying gas for this beast again!
  • FrankzFrankz Band Wagon
    I love the attention to detail on this thing.
    Thanks! No updates lately. Carburetor has been away for rebuild quite a while now. Expect it back very soon, then it is reassembly time!
  • RevmaynardRevmaynard Council Member
    Keep it up man, I always look forward to these updates!
    Past few weeks has seen Lots of progress! I could go into great detail, but here is a quick rundown.
    Got a new carb baseplate and installed it. Still anticipating my rebuilt carb anyway. Talked to the guy last week.
    Scrubbed the hell out of the block and components. Got them looking nice.
    Blocked off EGR ports for the desmog.
    Had my Alternator rebuilt using all new bearings and components.
    Brand new water pump and thermostat installed along with all new heater hoses, and radiator hoses.
    Installed new push-rod cover gasket with the freshly painted cover.
    Mounted the new Power Steering pump and new associated hoses.
    Sure I missed some things, but stay tuned… Much more on the way! This just got serious. I am so way over budget
    on this thing it is ridiculous. Could had bought a couple of wagons here. Oh well it is fun and different.

169.jpg

169.jpg

170.jpg

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

174.jpg
    I've been away from Civic wagon for a while. I have been Balls deep in this project. I got almost together, and fell skateboarding with my son and broke my arm. That put a real damper on the build. I had some help from my dad while I was down and then I healed up. so… Let's see. I left off with the fresh alternator. Lets pick up there shall we?? Here is a quick rundown. Hold on for an onslot of pics!

Mounted that bad boy up.

666.jpg

Finished up smog delete by replacing smog pump with a fancy idler pulley. And finished blocking off EGR pipes

667.jpg

Painted up the steering rack, and cleaned up all old gunk that had built up. Also installed new power steering lines.

668.jpg
    669.jpg

My beautiful carb came back from rebuild, I ordered a new base plate for it as well because the old on was shot.

670.jpg
    671.jpg
    672.jpg

Mounted that bad boy up!

673.jpg

Some other items I added were the new master cylinder, New Polycarbonate headlights with stone guards, a custom built stainless steel battery tray, and OME Steering stabilizer.

674.jpg

675.jpg

676.jpg

677.jpg

In addition I replaced ALL heater hoses and ran ALL new vacuum lines. The reassembled radiator and all other components.

678.jpg

With the hood back on, only thing left was the oil pan gasket which proved to be the worst job ever preformed in my garage. After several days, I got it off and gasket replaced.

679.jpg

680.jpg
    After getting it all back together, I had to teach myself all about setting timing. That was fun. NOT

This is a fresh out of the garage after a five month downtime.

681.jpg

682.jpg

and… it's maiden voyage!

683.jpg

Since the I have been driving and enjoying the hell out of it. Awesome truck. I am truly addicted to this vehicle just like my wagon. Here are some more pics I have taken since.

684.jpg

685.jpg

686.jpg

687.jpg

688.jpg

689.jpg
    More Landcruiser Love

319.jpg

320.jpg

321.jpg

322.jpg

323.jpg

324.jpg

325.jpg
    A few updates from last time:

I replaced at the gas tank which was full of rust and clogging my carb. Also replaced all fuel lines.

Rebuilt Spare tire carrier

Replaced corroded and leaking thermostat housing.

I think I will keep flooding this thread with pics cause' I do love this truck and she is mighty photogenic!

49.jpg
    50.jpg
    51.jpg
    52.jpg
    53.jpg
    54.jpg
    55.jpg
    56.jpg
    57.jpg
    58.jpg
    59.jpg
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Haha see it on Instagram all the time. So clean!
  • EBP_RD1EBP_RD1 Band Wagon
    these things are legit. we have a customer at the dealership i work at that comes in with one of these for service. guy always buys Toyota parts also. one of the best vehicles ever built by far
  • mistahjoemistahjoe New Wagonist
    Awesome truck.
    Thanks guys! It was a really fun build. Nice do do something other than a Honda for a change. I love how solid and tank-like to feels. Everything feels real mechanical. Like the shifting of gears, the steering, and the throttle response. A blast to drive. Try one out if you ever have the chance. I will never leave my Honda passion behind, the gas mileage, the cost of parts, supporting the company I work for & believe in, and the joy of owning a Honda are all wins in my book. The Land Cruiser is fun though and I am now part of a well supported Curiser club and Fourm as well. A great group. Proud to support both!
  • FrankzFrankz Band Wagon
    I absolutely love this truck!