I need suspension help, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ok, so the '86 FWD Wagon comes home tomorrow. I live in less than awesome weather Connecticut, so I think I'll take her to the shop for the CV axle fix. However, the struts I should be able to do myself. It only needs the passenger front one, but I figure it's probably a good idea to do both front.

I've never done them before, but hey, I'm a motorcycle mechanic by trade, so I'm confident I can do it. I just don't know much about where to buy parts from, and what exactly I need.

I found these struts http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Honda/Wagovan/Monroe/Shock_Absorber_and_Strut_Assembly/1986/TS71219.html?apwcid=apwecn&003=29204732&CS_010=apw1986howashabanstasTS71219 which says it'll fit. Has anyone used these before?

Also, what would be a good option for springs? I figure if I've got the thing off, I may as well replace the spring too. I don't want to go too fancy, I'm quite content with an OEM style replacement. My main goal is to get it fixed so I can enjoy driving it.

But if I did want to lower it a bit, what would be a good option for struts and springs? I'm very new to this type of car, I've mostly been a truck guy, with a lone MKIII Jetta in the mix, and there's so many options, I'm just not sure what's good and whats not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• If you're gong to lower it, look for some crx struts front and rear. That will lower the vehicle all the way around. The front is a torsion setup, so just turn them down untill you get the desired ride height.

As for lowering the rear, run a crx strut with some kind of coil setup...you can check my "white the fuck" build thread in my signature for how my 87 is done. Pretty sure there are some photos in there.
  • jakeharmz wrote: »
    I live in less than awesome weather Connecticut

If the car is also from the rust belt, prepare for bolts that break because they are rusted and stuck.