Stiff backseat

Hi I guys I just wanted to share my opinion on the wagon backseat. Is it just me or the backseat for the wagon is pretty hard/ stiff cushion when you sit on it? Is it because its a 25 year old foam/ cushion that stiffen over time?

i would like to hear your opinion, anybody ever changed/ redone the cushion on the back seat?

Comments

• I don't think it's the age of the foam. When I got my Wagovan 10 years ago, the rear bench seat was really hard and uncomfortable even back then. I've never sat in a DX / RT4WD split-bench style rear seat though... maybe those are more comfortable.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    The single bench seats are uncomfortable, yes.
  • Old foam definitely gets compacted. If you're able to pull the skin off, steam the foam that puffs it back up, and throw some 2" batting on there, then slap the skin back on. It's not gonna feel like a lay-z-boy but it'll be better than just the foam.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    edit cant find the right link
    but yea bench seats are typically shit.
    replacing the foam isnt hard to do but i dont know what much you could do as far as comfort goes-
    theres metal right under them ya know that stiffer material is needed to cushion the ride you can always go get some memory foam and put some inserts in like pillows or something lol.
    adding extra foam would sacrifice the already limited head room , softer foam would provide less hold up (limited use) in the long run.
    -iam grateful for everytime i dont sit back there tbh haha
  • sayurasemsayurasem New Wagonist
    Anybody have a link to or anybody have done the foam treatment? I like DIY stuff but I'm not good with fabrics

btw what's the single bench seat? Mine is single on the right..? And double seat on the other side.
  • Single is a wagovan seat where the entire thing is one piece. Not the 60/40 split. The rear seats are actually dead easy in comparison to the fronts as you don't have the hog rings to deal with.

The whole thing is done up just like wrapping paper. Remove the rubber feet, and the release at the back. From the underside and you can sort of peel back the carpet to see where all the little press in fittings are. Just pull those out gently to loosen the carpet flap and then you can work the rest of the cover off. The carpet is stitched to it as you'll see. You'll pull that over the hinge at the front, just be a bit careful, that vinyl gets weak with age.

Then it's just a matter of using a clothes steamer to puff up the polyurethane foam. Let it dry out, then put some batting on there and install the cover in the reverse of disassembly. Start with the small side, it'll be the easiest to learn on.

I recommend batting instead something more substantial as I can't imagine getting that fabric stretched over too much more. And the batting will just add some softness, but you'll still have the foam underneath for over all support. The batting will do most of the compressing so you're not really losing any head room like Klum had mentioned.

I'll post some pics of this process when I do it, but that might be months away, and the app I use for posting pics isn't working either. But really, jump on in to it, this is probably one of the easier jobs of reupholstering.
  • sayurasemsayurasem New Wagonist
    Liked! 12345