Tach/Seatbelt fuse blowing

Hey all, so a gremlin has cropped up that is causing the fuse for the tachometer/turnsignals/seatbelts to blow. Often times when starting the car.

I've been trying to identify the wire that goes to the tachometer so I can trace it from the distributor back, if anyone knows which one I should be looking at I'd appreciate the insight. My car has an engine swap and a lot of these wires were BS twisted and electrical taped together, so I imagine that's where I'll find the bastard.

Or any other insight as well, let me know.

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    My old man memory is kinda fuzzy, but if you look up one of the many MPFI swap articles you can get a quick rundown on those wires. Search MPFI ECU pinouts maybe.

I want to say it's one of the shielded wires. Maybe orange? Anyway, some sloppy twist-n-tape could well be the problem. The shield wire is straight to engine ground.
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    Thanks I'll take a look. Not sure if it makes a difference. It has a ZC swap but not the MPFI swap. So I'm not sure what all else would have been changed. Either way I'll give it an eyeball this weekend. I need to clean up more of those wires anyway. I'm soldering and heat shrinking them as I find them.
  • Definitely a loose wire somewhere. I took a big dip driving down the road and *POP* right out it went. I need to get under the dash and spend some time there, but I'm afraid it's gonna be spaghetti monster nightmare.
  • Just a follow up on this one. A hot wire from the previous owner's motor install was missing insulation and would hit the transmission housing, short out and pop that fuse. Repaired the wire and haven't had the fuse blow since. Been about 6 months now.