Engine Wiring Harnesses.

So, I did searches and didn't find what I was looking for exactly.

I'm wondering if anyone else here is having the same issues I'm running into with my wagons. The engine bay wiring harnesses are so old and brittle that even looking at them hard is causing the wires/insulation to break in spots. I have so many splices in my '90 to keep it running that the harness is looking like one big butt connector, and our '88 just stopped running - won't start, no spark. Checked the harness and the back of the plug at the distributor (the big plug) has cracks in the insulation on each and every wire going into the thing. I'm thinking the no start is related to that, maybe shorting out, might have damaged the tdc sensor, etc. Anyway.

Is there anywhere we can get new harnesses? I haven't had any luck searching. Several Honda parts suppliers online list them, but when you call they say "oh it's been discontinued" (Then WHY THE F IS IT STILL ON YOUR SITE?!?!?!) - pretty much as expected. I know a few guys in my area that make custom harnesses, but they won't touch anything non-obdII or newer.

Anybody got a source?

Comments

• other than building your own from scratch, i think the next best bet would be rywire.com. i know they do swap harnesses, so i dont see why they wouldnt be able to make a new stock harness.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Yeah Rywire would be your best bet, anyone with a oem new engine harness is probably going to want more than what a rywire costs.
  • hiflyerhiflyer Band Wagon
    Contact this guy He builds all styles of Honda Harness, prices are reasonable, and knows his stuff:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Monotech/170069869837621
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    we dont have a tdc sensor do we???
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    i have a decent MPFI engine harness on deck if you wanan buy it..
    and also suggestion would be to re-insulate and re solder any conections
    wrap each wire in new elec. tape after inspection apply elec. grease to prevent corosion ect.
  • klum wrote: »
    we dont have a tdc sensor do we???

It's also referred to as the cam or crank sensor, the one in the distributor.

Problem was unrelated to the wiring harness, timing belt had gone south. Which makes the code (ECU was flashing and "8" - TDC Sensor Malfucntion Code) make sense as the crank was spinning independently of the cam. All good now, got it running again. But I am still looking into replacing the harnesses.

Klum, thanks for the offer but I think I'm more interested in having brand new harnesses made (hoping they'll last longer/be more sturdy than the OEM.)