recover headliner

1235»

Comments

• TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    Wow, lot of responses so far! So I have another question; what did you do about the rubber trim pieces on the front & back?

I've wrapped the fabric on the sides but I'm wondering if wrapping it on the front & back will make the headliner too thick for the trim pieces.

ETA: I wrapped the front & back as well. It works fine and doesn't stretch the rubber trim pieces too much.

99.jpg
    100.jpg
    101.jpg
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    ummm yea so about that plastic.....mine is literally one piece of foam that i tore all the vinyl off of and its very flimsy most of the corners near the visor holes just ripped right out. Im not sure what to do. My only idea is getting some foam in a can and flilling that area then carving it to size with the dremel....

Or do i wait till i can pull a plastic one (never)

anyone?
  • cstanya88cstanya88 New Wagonist
    When you clean the existing headliner off and spray the adhesive do you spray and let it sit before purting the cloth on.. Sorry if im a repeating question.. Cause I did my liner on a trans am and it kept falling off.
  • From my experience you are supposed to spray both the headliner and the new cover, let it get tacky, then lay it on and use some pressure to firmly secure/smooth out the new cover. let it sit for a little "to dry" then put it back in.

the reason you spray both is how it soaks into the fabric and makes a stronger bond but beware of to much spray because it will soak through.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    yep, exactly that. Use 3m or permatex spray both let it get tacky and stick dont be afraid to peel it up and smooth and restick as you go. It wont set for a few hours and wont cure for 24. I left mine overnight just to be sure.

I had to rebuild every corner and hole of mine with some greatstuff foam and then dremel those down. Came out satisfactory but not perfect.

298978_656524902476_80501781_33555693_1681159075_n.jpg
    its a brown houndstooth. i was going for classy but tacky. totally 80s and in current style all at the same time. nailed it?
  • rbwdrivenrbwdriven Senior Wagonist
    has anyone with a sunroof tried this? i want to redo mine, but it looks like it will be a PITA to do

I did mine on my hatch.

Basically cut out in the middle where the hole is.

Give a 3" margin around the opening.

then make pie slices all the way round peeling and sticking them to the inside.

After I did that I also put a layer of duct tape to hole them.

Very time consuming but if you want the corners to look right that is about the only way to do it.
  • RawrSoftRawrSoft Band Wagon
    Hooray, headliner done! Without breaking any tabs or clips too!
    270.jpg
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    I like that plaid, RawrSoft!
  • Cajun WagonCajun Wagon Band Wagon
    The blue plaid looks amazing and would totally rock with my interior blue.
  • Todubbled1Todubbled1 New Wagonist
    how do the tabs come off without breaking?
  • edizzleedizzle New Wagonist
    has anyone had any problems with the fabric coming undone.... im wanting to do this so bad but not looking forward on taking it back down continously to repair it....
    ive had and extra headliner and fabric just sitting....im hesitant
  • No there should be no problem with it coming undone just use the 3m spray glue I think it's called super 77 or something like that its available everywhere even Walmart in the paint section just be pretty liberal with it and wait 5-15 min after spraying it then lay down the fabric be careful not to get glue on the front of the fabric or you'll never get it off and it looks like poop. Then I let it sit for half a day and reinstall.
  • edizzleedizzle New Wagonist
    Thanks...I'm doing it thanksgiving...can't wait to post pics
  • This is an awesome thread. I'm inspired to go get some fabric and recover mine! I'll get pics when I do!
  • PetriDishPetriDish Band Wagon
    271.jpg
    What do you guys think of this for a headliner
  • You guys enlightened me so much when I seen this thread I went to Joannas and got me some fabric

DSC_0328.jpg
  • Finished Product

DSC_0332.jpg

www.civicwagon.com

www.civicwagon.com

www.civicwagon.com

www.civicwagon.com