Headlight buzzer

I figure I would help the wagon community out like I help out my ef brothers.

After a few phone calls from the wife, hey guess what I need a jump.

I decided to do this little trick. After this if we leave the lights on it tell us by the annoying buzz.

Tools/Parts
1 12v Piezo Buzzer (Not Siren!) (less than $3.00)
1 pair of needle nose pliars

Instructions
Take off your Fuse Panel so you have access to your fuses.
Next unplug the #8 Taillights/License Lights/Instrument Lights Fuse.
Once the fuse is unplugged take the Red Wire from the Piezo and place the exposed end looped over one leg of the fuse where the metal part makes connection with the fuse holder
Then plug the Fuse back into place, make sure it is in all the way and the wire is not in the way of it.

Once that is done unplug the #18 Rear Defroster Relay Fuse.
Do the same as you did for the Red Wire for the other Black Wire and make sure everything goes back in correctly.

Now to test it make sure the car is turned off and then turn on the headlights and when they come on the buzzer should buzz.

Then turn the car on and it should stop buzzing once the car is on. The buzzer will help you to make sure to turn your lights off so your battery is not drained.

Notes

I tried this on a sedan, hatch and crx and they all work in the same way.

Here are the pictures.

1. Peizo buzzer zip tied to wiring harness.

112.jpg

2. wrapping the wire around the fuses.

113.jpg

Comments

• slide7229slide7229 Wagonist
    all i can say is bueno... very bueno indeed
  • moebiiusmoebiius Wagonist
    Is the piezo buzzer sound similar to the 94-01 Integra light chime alert?

This is definitely a must do and sticky!
  • rbwdrivenrbwdriven Senior Wagonist
    The one I got was the buzzer style.

so when the lights are on and the key is in the off position it buzzes.

Very annoying but hey I'm ok with it versus the "need a jump" theory.
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Good stuff...
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    hell yes. i leave my lights on all the effing time.
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    SUPER useful mod! I get value from this one every morning I pull into work. It's dark when I leave the house but by the time I get to work the sun has usually risen.
  • oxbeardoxbeard Wagonist
    It's dark when I leave the house but by the time I get to work the sun has usually risen.

same deal with me. i dont know how many times i had to get jumped. after 3 days in a row of leaving them on... lol i decided that was enough embarrassment so i rewired mine with a relay so they will turn off when you turn the key off.
    oxbeard wrote:
    same deal with me. i dont know how many times i had to get jumped. after 3 days in a row of leaving them on... lol i decided that was enough embarrassment so i rewired mine with a relay so they will turn off when you turn the key off.
    Dude. That's hard-core. I just put a little buzzer on there. If I changed it any more than that I'd probably find a way to get myself into some other sort of trouble, lol!
    I had to search out this mod again. During the trouble shooting for the surging idle after the MPFI swap my little Radio Shack buzzer went Tango Uniform. Luckily, bam-bam had another on hand so I wired it up this evening after a week driving without it. Interesting note: During that week I've left my lights on twice, the second time depleted the battery enough to necessitate a boost. For utility this mod still gets a 'most depended on' score from me!
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    My wagon came with this mod already done. Lifesaver more than once!
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Legend!! I left the lights on a few weeks ago, made myself look like a fool :(
    Yep it seems I always do this mod on my EF's.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Left my lights on today and saw this thread. I'm going to do this ASAP! Thanks!
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    Good to know, thanks for reposting the detailed how-to. Will do this to both my civics.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    This was installed on my wagon when I got it.... I ripped it the fuck out....
  • When Heidi left the lights on at work, this would have saved me a 100 mile drive. Now she has her own AAA card, but I'm still installing these on all 3 cars. Very cool, thanks.
  • I'm going to have to do. The wife's been driving the Wagon. She's left the lights on twice now. Thankfully it's a new Battery.
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    BillBoard wrote: »
    This was installed on my wagon when I got it.... I ripped it the fuck out....

I would do the same, just like i've blocked all the little tabs that tell me the door is open. Good mod though.
    Again, super useful, this time for an EG. This time not actually even my car but after the second time I'd left the lights on and been unable to start the car on my return.

The fuse locations are different but I found the fuse diagrams below. rbwdriven's directions hold true if adjusted for the designated EG fuse locations. I've highlighted in blue the items that clued me in.

The red wire goes to fuse #19 Dash Lights, Dimming Signal, Parking Lights, Tail lights, License Plate Lights, Console Lights, Option Connector "D".

The black wire goes to fuse #13 Power Mirror, Anti-Lock Brake System, Air Delivery, Blower Motor Relay, Rear Window Defogger Relay, Radiator Fan Relay, Condenser Fan Relay.

All else from rbwdriven's directions remain accurate.

739.jpg
    740.jpg
    741.jpg
    cool I'll add that to the other site as well for the just in-case
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    I'm actually doing a write up on this as well that uses a slightly different location and works without having to resort to the wire wrapping method. Something for a more clean install. I've fortunately not drained the battery yet but several of my previous cars had automatic headlights so I never had to touch any switches.

I'm still trying to break that habit and turn the stuff off. But yeah, put the whole thing together for probably $2 so easy cheap mod.

Either way, I'll cross link to this post as reference for a tool-less install as I built a little plug and play module for it.

Update* A brief edit to this and a warning to you out there, gonna include this in my write up. But I was experiencing issues with my tach/turn signals. Other such things. I thought it was because of the ZC Swap. Turns out someone had wrapped a wire around a fuse and pretty much screwed up that fuse socket. Having a wire around there bends the socket so once it's bent up you will always need a wire around that fuse to get it to seat in properly.

So if you need to do it this way I'd highly recommend getting one of these

http://smile.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FHA200BP-ATO-Add-A-Circuit-Kit/dp/B0002BGELQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400624070&sr=8-1&keywords=add+a+circuit

And not ruining your fuse sockets.

Sweet, embed is now working!
  • This method is so much better than wrapping a wire around a fuse. Thanks Greenteagod.
    Lols at all the people ranking my post unhelpful!!!! Killer!!
    Lol, I didn't realize that was an option! I'm inclined that they are all helpful; I'm still gonna do what I'm gonna do. Haters gonna hate, people who do this mod are gonna to ask for a lot fewer jump-starts, lol.
  • BillBoard wrote: »
    Lols at all the people ranking my post unhelpful!!!! Killer!!
    its kinda true though lol. Telling us you just ripped the buzzer out isnt helpful at all lol.
    its kinda true though lol. Telling us you just ripped the buzzer out isnt helpful at all lol.

I wasn't going for helpful with that post.... or this one.... or 99% of the things I post....