DRMORTY - Turning a Civic Hatch into Camper-Hatch!!!

2»

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Interesting.

I saw a 5spd 2wd wagon recently at a junkyard that had power steering. Prior to that I had only seen PS on autos and RT4wds.

I suppose you could order power steering a la carte?
  • SEEKERoneSEEKERone Band Wagon
    No seperate ability to "order" power steering. even now, Honda doesn't do "order lists"

checking Honda parts catalog confirms your prior experience ... only A/T and RT4WD
    Quite possible that one you found had been retro fitted --- either with the power steering or the manual transmission.
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    SEEKERone wrote:
    Wrong Morty ..... automatic transmission DX models were equipped with power steering.

something you probably haven't dealt with before ...A/T !!!

Back in the ancient days when us at the dealerships were installing air conditioning (because none of the civics at that time were 'factory' equipped), I would always try to pick the work for ones without powersteering just ecause it was one less thing to work around while installing the A/C. For the record, I also tried to avoid having to install the radio antennas into models that had a sunroof (drain tube made running the wire a little more of an issue).

Send me the VIN and I will check to see if it was a true USDM vin or possible Canadian

That is interesting... I guess you probably have seen it all.. I have only ever got to play with old cars... You got to deal with these as new cars, and that is cool.

Glad you found the camper build thread. Since, you did supply the hatch for it.

Thanks again!
  • SEEKERoneSEEKERone Band Wagon
    That is interesting... I guess you probably have seen it all.. I have only ever got to play with old cars... You got to deal with these as new cars, and that is cool.

yep ... I have been working at the same dealer sinnce 1989 ...and working here today doing pre-delivery inspections on 2012 CR-Vs. I remember seeing brand new Accords the were still carburated. seeing the technology come so far is really cool. alot of people will say "that their 88 CRX HF got 50mpg and wasn't 'hybrid' so why can't they do that now?" to which I reply that their CRX HF would have gotten 2 STARS in a current crash testing procedure, and that the new cars spew probably 1/1000th of the emissions of cars from that time.

Unfortunately the cars that have gone away (like the CIvic wagon) haven't been replaced as well as I would like. I guess the closest to a wagon would be the FIT but I just think that wagon was a better looking car.

BTW, LMK if you come accross another decent wagon ... may be interested in doing another one.
    SEEKERone wrote:
    BTW, LMK if you come accross another decent wagon ... may be interested in doing another one.
    Will do
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    SEEKERone wrote:
    No seperate ability to "order" power steering. even now, Honda doesn't do "order lists"

checking Honda parts catalog confirms your prior experience ... only A/T and RT4WD
    Quite possible that one you found had been retro fitted --- either with the power steering or the manual transmission.

Fair enough. The way these cars are assembled, it's easy enough to retrofit any features you like and retain a factory fit.
    My next question was going to be about the '90 "DX" wagon I saw with the Wagovan window bars, but I guess the same answer suffices.

I wonder what discussion would ensue if one of my wagons was found in the junkyard :lol:
  • slo88crxslo88crx Senior Wagonist
    Looks like your making some progress and gonna have some extra parts!! Keep up the good work!!! In for more updates!
    Today's Part: More Stripping... Yay! More spares for my other hatches!

It's gonna all come out.. :)

Decided to take the entire drive line out the bottom.. By yourself ! ! ! Fun, is not the word I would use to describe it.. But it's done now..

I pulled the Struts and hubs first, because it is easier to take them apart on the car and not have to fight bigger hardware on the ground
    985.jpg

Inside stripped
    986.jpg

Engine is still coming along
    987.jpg

Drive line and steering out!
    988.jpg

I left the A/C intact on the car, since I need to go get a cap off set.. so, I can seal the parts up & preserve them for future repairs to my collection.. The A/c parts looked GOOD & have a full charge and no signs of leaking.

If I have time tomorrow, I am going to start cutting.. :)
    I got some time this weekend! Might get rain.. We'll see..
    I got some scrap metal for bracing & tow bar & saws-all blades.
    And, Going tomorrow to get my trailer coupler and a fresh roll of welding wire!
  • WagoDanWagoDan Wagonist
    Bump for updates!!! :x :lol:
  • Okiewagon1Okiewagon1 Wagonist
    yes....really get a move on it... :twisted:
  • antigramantigram Band Wagon
    yeah i want to see this finished
  • NycetryNycetry Wagonist
    anymore updates?
    I have been tied up.. I am dying to get back on it..

Starting a new business is taking all my free time away!
  • str8shooterstr8shooter Band Wagon
    I would like to see some updates! Thinking about starting a very similar project pretty quick... Guide me! lol
    Will back on it soon..
  • Any more progress on this build? I'm interested to see how it turns out.
  • Did this get completed?
  • WagoDanWagoDan Wagonist
    i just realized i bumped this thread almost TWO YEARS AGO!! whats up Doc?? lol:miserable: