First time ever painting a engine bay

Okay so I want to paint my engine bay within the next couple of weeks, but I have some questions.

I have painted rims in the past with spray cans, and they turned out pretty good, but this time I am using a air powered spray gun. The way I did my rims before was a sanded of all the old clear coat, scuffed the rims. Some coats of primer, coats of base coat, and then coats of clear coats. I am assuming a car is the same procedure, but from reading guides everyone has done it differently.

My main concern is that the engine bay was originally white, and one of the previous owners had painted it black. I am unsure if it was done properly or not. I have seen people just scruff it all up and then base coat it. This to me seems like it won't last forever. I want to do a good job with this, and not want the paint to start chipping to soon.

With that being said should I be sanding down to the bare metal than priming it after? Do to it already being painted twice(As I know of).

Comments

• FakeJDMEF8FakeJDMEF8 Senior Wagonist
    Id sand it down to the original colour, and then re-primer it and then from then on paint it as planned....

however, ive never shaved a bay, just painted over the factory paint (and with that i just sanded the original paint down with 400 grit)
  • WagonhoeWagonhoe Wagonist
    Okay another question about clear coat. I read somewhere someone saying that there is no point to clear coat... Because if you get a scratch etc you can just paint over it and polish and buff to get the shine back? But I thought clear coat was what protects the paint, but I guess you also can't paint over clear coat, until you sand it all off.
  • FakeJDMEF8FakeJDMEF8 Senior Wagonist
    Some paints come with the clear in the colour. I'd say go to your local paint shop n pick the dudes brainz. It really depends on how much you'd like to spend. And how durable/long lasting you need it. I've had both and having a base/clear cost is well worth the extra cost over the urathane/clear n colour together
  • Im going to be painting mine in the next couple of days. Im using a high quality Chromabasen paint. Im going to start by sanding the original paint with 600 grit and gray scotch bright for the hard to reach areas. Then ill use a wax and grease remove once the car is in the booth. Ill use a nason sealer, the chromabase, then the chromaclear.