Where is the dash removal write up?

3 weeks ago electrical smoke was dispersing from my 1990 rt4wd steering wheel column, under the dash by the fuses and the air vents right by the windshield on the driver side only. My interior dash lights went out when this happened while driving and when i got home replaced the fuse, no issues since. The burnt electrical smell is getting to me now and I want to investigate, locate the source and find the highly posibble short.

I tried using the search function sub-category bodywork & cosmetic modification and found only rants and raves bout what dash could be swaped but no step by step write up on removal. I also tried seaching thru interior quicklinks and typing in dash only with no sub-catergory selected and tried seaching thru the many pages that showed up and found no step by step write up on dash removal. I might have been blind from searching thru all thoses very infomational pages but found none that would help me besides center/side vent removal.

Can someone copy and paste the direct link in your reply? would really help very much!

Comments

• Don't know if I'm allowed to do this but a friend sent me a link for dash removal for his hatch. Car manufactures being in the business of selling their product to make money try to use as many of the same components in order to maximize their return. Can't afford to reinvent everything for each model so the removal of a wagon dash should (logically) be very similar to that for a hatch/crx/sedan....
    I am in the process of gutting the interior and pulling my dash out of my newly acquired wagovan to clean out 20+ years of cigarette smoke. Thought the windows were tinted a funky yellow/bronze; no, just freakin cigarette smoke!
    Anyway here is the link address.
    http://eastcoastefcivics.com/index.php?topic=1427.0
    Hope this helps.
  • Can anyone give me an estimate as to how long it takes to remove the dash?
  • 90shuttle90shuttle Senior Wagonist
    takes about an hour if you have an idea of what you're doing lol. it's a BIITCHHH! all the wires/harness is screwed onto the dash from behind.... so i just cut all the plastic tabs...(be careful not to cut your harness!) i'll figure out how to run it later. but it's pretty simple, screws on the side of the dash(open the doors), behind the cluster, center of dash.... down by the hood release if i remember correctly... just mess with it. lol good luck!
  • instead of cutting tabs for the wiring, there are i think 3 or 4 connectors in the fuse block area that you can disconnect to take the wiring out with the dashboard. dont forget the 2 screws that hold on the fresh air vent control (to the left of the steering wheel behind the oval cover).
  • Thanks for the replies and insight!