RT4WD seized driveshaft?

I'm on the cusp of purchasing my first RT4WD. It is located several hours away from me. Initially I was told it had a bad vibration coming from the driveshaft. This I know is a tell tale sign that the ujoints are failing. Knowing that Rockline now has staked in replacements I decide to continue communications with the seller.

The next day I was told that the rear wheels have locked up. My immediate reaction is that the ujoints have permanentely seized. The seller was able to flip the transmission's lever to 2wd and limp home. He states that it feels like the brand new Exedy clutch may be broken and he is having trouble engaging gears other than 1st or reverse.

Having no experience with this drivetrain, I do not have the knowledge to assist him remotely. My goal is for him to have the car driving by Sunday, even if it is only in 2wd, so we can make a deal happen. I am ok with repairing the driveshaft but I'm worried it may be more than that.

Do I have him remove the driveshaft? If so, do I have him select 2wd or 4wd with the shaft removed? Am I even on the right path to hitting the road? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    smells like a transmission.
  • Now that he's had more time to investigate, it will not shift out of gear. This makes me think the throughout bearing release fork may have come loose or possibly a frayed clutch cable.

...or loose or broken shift cables?