Bad vibration while driving in gear in my rt4wd.

Feels like a rumble almost from what I can explain. I don't know if it is my drive shaft or what how can you check this issue? Is there a normal way on how to check what is wrong in the rear end or drive shaft on an rt4wd. Thank you.

Comments

• 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    You're going to have to explain way better than that to get any info.
  • Todubbled1Todubbled1 New Wagonist
    I am saying that while driving in a gear it has a rumble. For some reason in super low it doesn't have the vibration. Not sure if that makes a difference. Shaking feeling under the car not in the wheel. Feels like it is underneath. Almost like it might be in some bind. how do you check parts underneath. Tug on them or what?
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    check all your u-joints in the drive shaft. They may be starting to sieze up. Try to shake them back and fourth.
    How would a bad viscous coupler act. so the u joints should have no play. The car was sitting for almost a year and I just did an entire clutch job on it. It felt like this before I started to fix it also. How do you go about finding drivetrain parts. Only used available?
  • Jimmy427Jimmy427 Band Wagon
    definetly check your ujoints no play at all check your bolts to both flanges try turning your drive line
    1-80 on your trans and dif somtimes not always that can cause vibration
  • 91RT4WD91RT4WD Wagonist
    Also check your axles..
    How do I get new rear axles for an rt by the way?
  • 90 RT4WD (Cody)90 RT4WD (Cody) Senior Wagonist
    Todubbled1 wrote:
    How do I get new rear axles for an rt by the way?

Most any parts store will carry front and rear axles for an RT4wd
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Probably just ask at your local parts house. They may have to order them.

Start at the transfer case flange and try to wiggle each joint all the way back. Check all your axles for play. Check rear differential input for play. Check wheel bearings at all four corners.
    Just drove it home. Doesn't vibrate near as bad when just rolling but when it has gas it's a good vibrarition guess I'll see what's wrong with it tomorrow.
  • jasnalljasnall Wagonist
    I've been hunting (not very hard) for a "hum/vibration" in the driveline and everything points to somthing in the rear driveline. From searching about this topic it's going to be something to do with the rear driveshaft. Just like everyone already said check the joints and stuff, I peeked at my rear diff mount and its pretty beat so it could be that too. Someone suggested removing the rear shaft and see if the "vibration" goes away. I switched to 2wd mode and the "vibration" lessened some but it's still there.

Good tips in the shakeing the joints around, need to do that.
    I'll do that tomorrow can you drive it with 2wheel drive? And can you get a rear mount at a auto part store?
    Ya you just move a lever and it takes it out of rt4wd, I think it's meant for towing. There a lot of posts on here about how to do it. I've been driving in 2wd for a few weeks now. Don't know about the mount but I would bet you would need an oem part.
  • CIVEILCIVEIL New Wagonist
    Both of my rear mounts are completely shot, but I have absolutely no weird vibrations. It must be something else. If you put it into 2wd mode and still have the vibration, I don't think it would have anything to do with your rear drive line except for rear wheel bearings. You may be able to eliminate that, but I could be wrong.
  • CIVEILCIVEIL New Wagonist
    Does it have anything to do with speed or rpm level? Have you considered rotors, pads, front barrings or tire balance? If not speed or rpm, you explained that the gear your in changes the amount of vibration and is that the only factor? If so, you may be able to narrow it down to the tranny or engine up front.
    CIVEIL's got some good points, Mine only "vibrates" past 57mph and gets less noticable after 80. Even in 2wd mode the driveline is still spinning (right :? ), that's why I havn't counted it out.
    Lower speeds it does it. Wheel bearings make noise I thought? Wheel bearings same as the front in the back?
    tires that are on it were fine on my wago I kept my old wheels.
  • shigshig Band Wagon
    I just went through a prolonged diagnostic process with this. Your issue sounds exactly like mine, which turned out to be bad u-joints on the no.3 propeller shaft (rear drive shaft). The Honda part is no longer available anywhere on the planet (U.S., Canada, Japan, anyway). You might luck out and find one in a wrecking yard. I found a very nice RT4WD wagon in a pick-n-pull yard with only that shaft missing! The logical solution would be to pull the rear shaft and take it to a driveline shop to be repaired. Which I did. BUT...the u-joints are "staked-in" and not designed to be rebuilt or replaced. So for at least 48 hrs I thought I was SOL.

BUT...Rockford Drivelines is (as far as I know) the only place in the country that measured the Civic RT4WD u-joints and manufactured replacements! They are $33.75 each, I hear you need 3 u-joints for a complete recondition. Check 'em out. There's another thread on this that specifies the part number you need to order, but if you go to their site it's pretty confusing...recommend calling them and talking to a rep to make sure they get it right.