$4 'JDM' mudflaps

Most of you know, I hate inflation. I'll retro anything myself over paying a stupid price. And I'm sure as shit not paying $300 for 'JDM' mudflaps. Especially when I can get them from my local junkyard for $20 and buy a $4 paint pen.

I've been wanting JDM style mudflaps forever. But didn't have much good info on what to use for DIY. I won't take credit for this mod. But felt it should be shared.

Thanks to Knottyy for finding the good stuff! :)

I went four places looking for this pen specifically. I went to Michael's and they were out of stock. A local general store with no selection. Hobby Lobby to find out they were closed on Sundays (basterds!). Then finally a local art supply store near downtown Spokane, WA (Spokane Art Supply for locals. Open 12-5 on Sundays!)

$4.12 after tax.
280.jpg

I had done a couple Back to Black treatments on the mudflaps before I decided to do this. So they needed a good cleaning with some dish soap before I applied paint.
281.jpg

*100 in Spokane on Sunday. I loved it. But most were bitching. Only took a few minutes to dry... (92 Corrado VR6 there... LOVE that car!)
282.jpg

Originally planned to hit the letters with some sand paper to tack up the surface a bit. But the scrub job I did with the dish pad did a pretty good job.
283.jpg

I also planned to mask off a bunch. But after applying paint to the first mudflap, I didn't feel it was necessary. I did get a few spots. But most wiped up very clean after initial dripping. But I did use a touch of Acetone to clean up some spots after.
284.jpg

The paint delivery from these pens can be a little tricky. I'd definitely practice on something first if I was to do it again. After pooling some paint on this first letter, I got the feel for the pen and the rest of the applications was insanely easy. I don't have the most steady of hand, but it was very easy to do a clean job just taking my time and going slow.
285.jpg

Gave them some time to dry between rounds. About an hour in the sun. It was *100 yesterday, but I did it around 6pm (not as hot), and made sure the flaps never got too hot. If I was to do it again, I would give it 24 hours to dry before applying a second coat. Some of it picked up when applying the second coat. Causing some small clumps. Nothing you would ever notice unless you're 6 inches away. And I doubt anyone will be 6 inches away lol
286.jpg

287.jpg

288.jpg

289.jpg

(sorry for the dark pics, I'll update later)

Overall I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out. I really like the way the white accents my color. They had a bunch of different colors. If I had a gold or blue or red RT, I'd probably go with those colors instead. Before you consider $300 mudflaps, consider $4 paint pen lolol

Comments

• CharbCharb Administrator
    If you do this mod, please share your experience and pictures!
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Hate to break it to you..... JDM mudflaps dont have White writing on them........ or at least none of the ones I have seen

I painted mine the same way you did yours a couple years ago (when I got them brand new for $9 thanks to a clear out of old stock)

The front ones didnt last too long as they constantly scraped on the road and the paint cracked and peeled off, the rears lasted perfectly right up until I sold it

You can sort of see the rears here:
    292.jpg
    Meh, still cool regardless :D

http://www.ep-importers.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3008667

Clearly I didn't do a lot of research before pulling the trigger. The fronts aren't painted either apparently.

I still like them :)
  • mosdefbeemosdefbee New Wagonist
    ill be giving this a go tomorrow :D hopefully my local hobby people have the paint marker.
  • jessedmjessedm New Wagonist
    After seeing how those turned out first hand I'll definatly be doing this to the EDM mudflaps I bought not to long ago also will be installing that white rear bumper you gave me don't worry I'll take a bunch of pictures.
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    I like the white lettering a lot. Definetly puts a "pop" on an otherwise mundane mod. Also really lets people know the wagon is 4WD.
  • knottyyknottyy Wagonist
    Glad to be able to add something to the community, although I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I saw it in here in the archives first. So credit goes to civicwagon.com for being such a dope resource for inspiration.

To add to what Charb has already posted, be sure to try and get an oil-based pen. They supposedly last longer in all weather situations. I found that I got the best flow from the pen when I would depress the tip with a finger tip and shake the holy hell out of the pen. After that it should be flowing good and putting down a nice layer of paint should be a bit easier. Just be careful of your cloths and your car because spots can fly if you're not careful. I ended up doing three coats in total, spaced out by a minimum of an hour. You could get away with less time I'm sure. It really is a nice accent on the cheap. Most people I show don't even realize what I did, they think it's factory painted at first.

190.jpg

189.jpg

193.jpg
  • H_civic66H_civic66 Senior Wagonist
    No pics now but what I did was go get the actual honda color and used that. Looks good and marches my paint.
  • Old SkoolOld Skool Council Member
    Haha.. I thought about doing this.. had a look at my flaps and 1/2 of the honda is gone on the front from scraping.. lol
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Posted in my build thread long ago, but I used Testors model paint gloss white on mine. Holds up very well! I love my white letter flaps!
    782.jpg
    232.jpg
  • mosdefbeemosdefbee New Wagonist
    Ok so i went and did mine i forgot i was supposed to do the outline only. Half way through doing the first one i realized it haha. I took a step back and looked at it and decided oh what the heck ill just keep it like that and do the same to the other side. If anything ill just hit it with some paint thinner/stripper.

I would do the front too but the whole word got scraped off lol.

340.jpg
  • josh1vtmjosh1vtm Council Member
    232.jpg[/QUOTE]

the smile on your face is disturbing, very disturbing, hannibal lecter-esque
  • http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg270/pizzamann114-Mich/90ee/photo5-1.jpg

[did mine as well. cheap and did not come out to bad.
    friends are jealous!
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    the Beagle came with white lettering on the REAR only, on the 4WD mudflap. i know this cause i lucked out and got all 4 true JDM mudflaps for $40 shipped =D anyway, looks great Charb! much better then just plain black.
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Wagon Jackin' ;)
    wagodizzle wrote: »
    the Beagle came with white lettering on the REAR only, on the 4WD mudflap. i know this cause i lucked out and got all 4 true JDM mudflaps for $40 shipped =D anyway, looks great Charb! much better then just plain black.

I mentioned that above when I provided a link to some for sale for $300 lol

I still like it the way I did them. It's funny, besides the paint, the flaps and my rolled lip are my favorite mods lol