new wheel studs needed?

Hi folks,

I just bought a new set of wheel which is Rota Dr-21. I think I need a new set of wheel studs and open end lug nuts to make it work. Is there any specific size of studs and lug nuts I need to get? Thanks

Comments

• Civicwagonist,

The studs should be 12 X 1.5 and you can look on the internet they have long shank import lug nut for like a mag wheel you can get a set around $30-$60 for good ones or get a set of extended lugs and nuts. Check out these sometimes these maybe more depending on if you want IDRA ones or just for looks. Hope this helps.

http://www.importdpsonline.com/skunk2/s ... 50699.aspx
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Due to the fact the wheel stud is not central with the hole, either the wheel is not sitting flush on the hub or the wheel is not hubcentric and you need hubcentric rings.
  • Went to the tires store and they have smaller end of lug nuts that fits my wheels without having my wheel studs changed.. I have to return all my wheel stud and lug nuts now :(
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    Went to the tires store and they have smaller end of lug nuts that fits my wheels without having my wheel studs changed.. I have to return all my wheel stud and lug nuts now :(
    uhmm yeah you might want to get extended studs.... i grabbed mine off ebay .....
    maybe not as long as mine but if your only holding on by a thread or 2 that cant be a good thing.... a smaller end isn't the answer if you ask me
    670.jpg
  • shinobishinobi Band Wagon
    I would get new studs. A general rule of thumb is, you want as much thread engagement as the width of the stud, so for 12 x 1.5 at least 8 turns.

Googling that I found someone who posted this: 'For UNS/ISO Threads less than 1" in diameter, and where the nut is of the same material, and equal or greater strength compared to the stud, 1/2 the stud diameter in thread engagement length will result in thread failure at the same time as tensile failure of the stud.'

So, if you get 4 turns you might be fine. But this doesn't take into account any movement or directional forces on the nuts, etc. But make 100% sure your wheels are torqued to spec.

HTH