Block off plate hole.updated with pics

Not sure if this has been covered I searched but not real sure if I am calling it the right thing.? Ok, on the right side of the steering wheel where accessory switches go (the bigger one) someone had cut it to put in an oil gauge. That's what I was told. Anyway so my dilemma is the lip isn't there so switches or even the block off cover wont clip in. Anyone have or fixed this before? Thanks in advance, I will get a pic tomorrow to better show what I am talking about.

Comments

• rti intracrti intrac Senior Wagonist
    It depends on how much has been cut out. If the switches/block off cover sit there but won't clip in you could try some hot glue or similar to hold them in place?
  • H_civic66H_civic66 Senior Wagonist
    Thanks man, im not sure if that will work, and still be able to remove them would it? Anybody else have any ideas?
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    still no pics...?
    bam-bam wrote:
    still no pics...?
    Pics should be up. Hmmmm, Ill try again here ya go.
    833.jpg
    834.jpg
  • Go to a stereo shop. They have block plates that they use all the time, it come in different sizes.
    They come in black so you'll need to paint it.
    With a little heat you can make an elbow.
    My 2cents.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply but, I need to actually use it. Its where my power mirror switch goes and whatever else I decide to put in.
    No one else ever have this done when they buy a car?
  • You can still mount your switch on the plate.
    Ask a professional. They'll make it look clean.
    Hey thanks man. Ill see about that. I may just try and build it up with something useing a popsicle stick for a level. Just dont know what to use as a filler.
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    Its gonna be really hard to repair that and make it look factory. Ive used JB plastic weld to repair stuff (crx climate controls) and it works pretty good. Im sure you could use it as a filler too. Go to a junkyard and cut the piece that goes inbetween the two blanks, should be easy to find a blue one. You can probably even use one from a hatch or sedan. Most dash blanks are the same size. Use teh jb weld to glue in new piece and just build from there. You might even be able to add blue (maybe a blue and white dye mix to get it closer) dye when your mixing it to match even better.

Dont you hate cleaning up other peopels messes :(
    Thats an idea too. Not sure if the sedan is still there may have to go check. I wish that lower part was seperate but it's attached to whole dash. Yes, man this car was trashed when I got it. It amazes me what people do for no reason at all. Thanks
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    This doesn't sound right.\?The cover or controls that snap in have clips on the side NOT the top & bottom.So you shouldn't have a prob.Maybe try bending the clips out,but don't break them.JBWeld sounds good.It's like clay so you can mold it to the shape you want.They're lots of 2part putty type epoxies out there you can use to mold into that missing piece like "Perfect Poxy" by Emson.Check a crafts store they have this new moldable clay that dries hard in various colours.So need baking though.If you got a japanese dollar store there(like "Daiso") I saw some moldable clay there in blue(shade may not be right).Don't know if it needed baking?
  • A crazy idea i had, hit the salvage yard find blue interior any civic should do and cut out just that little portion, if you cut it nice and clean you could jb plastic glue it in from the back side.
    just cut the very bottom piece, make the cuts tight and the new piece fit tight so there are no gaps- should turn out clean and look better than the gouged out look.

Its really hard to explain- but look at the 1st pic, the piece you need to cut and glue in is like the size of a toothpick bottom left corner to bottom right corner.
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    Get this moldable plastic called,"Shapelock".You heat it up in a microwave,then shape it onto the broken area.Once it cools it's hard & strong.Paint.For what you need it'll be $5(usd) shipped.
    Thanks yall, great ideas, I will def. let ya know what I did and if it works.
    Sorry to bring this back up but im ready to try and fix this, Can someone post a pic of theres thats not messed up? Wanna know if its one big hole our is there a piece in the middle? Thanks
  • driftin90driftin90 Senior Wagonist
    here ya go. sorry for the dim pic, i had to use a flashlight. but it gives you the idea

2012-06-05103303.jpg
    Damn, I thought I saw a little piece meaning it was two seperate.. hmm well thanks man now I just don't know how to fix this. Got power mirror switch and fog switch that will be in there.
  • driftin90driftin90 Senior Wagonist
    I want to say that it maybe a seperate piece from the dash. But don't quote me on that
    I think its attached to the dash, im gonna try and cut one out and add it in somehow.