Would top hats work?

Would top hats be a benefit with the coil over set up that u get from the one piece set ups you get when you buy the Godspeed or type one set ups.... :roll: if anyone can help please lmk. Thanks. :D

Comments

• BOOROCKSPBOOROCKSP Band Wagon
    Extended top hats ! Sorry ..... Been drinking.... Lol.
  • stampernstampern Senior Wagonist
    Generally not cause most of the time the struts are shorter and are designed to run in the lowered setting.
    Thanks ^ stampern. I was thinking that because it lowers into the lower part of the strut housing it wouldn't , but was looking for some incite. Thanks!
  • TheGmanTheGman Wagonist
    If you're all the way down even on godspeeds or f&f's you'll be close to bottoming out strut, the problem is you cant adjust it back up without putting the normal tophats back on.

They would help for sure, but its not a necessity like on stock struts.
    yeah im looking to ride low, but i dont understand what you mean by adjusting them back up? i thought the assembly was the type that lowers into itself? by the strut lowering into the strut housing. ????
    The lower mount for the shock does adjust up but its usually not enough and you'll end up dropping the spring at least in the rear. When you drop the spring you reduce strut travel, which is the point of extended tophats, (to get more strut travel) and effectively the highest point the spring can be will be lower.
    Ok thanks for the info. Appreciated.
  • JayTeeJayTee Wagonist
    Another nice thing with running extended top hats is you can (most of the time) preload the spring. Generally running real low requires you to run the spring unloaded and thus loosing strut travel in the process.
    At how much preload?
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    If you are running real low and the spring is uncaptive then get tophats, if you arnt that low then dont bother.
    Preloading the spring doesnt matter at all as the spring is not progressive its linear
    .???. I'm not too familiar with technical terms. I need laimans terms....lol.
    NZ-DB8R wrote:
    If you are running real low and the spring is uncaptive then get tophats, if you arnt that low then dont bother.
    Preloading the spring doesnt matter at all as the spring is not progressive its linear

"Uncaptive" Flopping around

"preloading" The spring is already up against the tophat, So its not flopping around.

Progressive spring rates = the more the spring is compressed the more force is required for it to be compressed even more.

Linear (in terms of spring rates) Means the same amount of force or load is required to compress the spring.

most of the time, "lowering springs" That are not adjustable, and OEM springs have progressive spring rates.
    Thanks. Im looking into the type one coil over set up. Any one have this set up? I would like some feedback.
  • 91awd91awd Wagonist
    Well from my personal experianc, my setup worx very well.. I have 2in top hats up front and 4 in tophats n the rear...with oem struts and drop zone coil overs...the struts n front r wagon and rear r ef hatch.. I have had f &f type 1s gc coils tein drop springs h&r springs neuspeed springs on tokicos and kybs...all with out top hats...and I love this simple set up..I have no strut bars no swaybars on a stock dpi 2wd w/ a si 5speed tranny..and WOW how I love it. I have bought several other upgrades but haven't installed them....but like I said I love the way it handles now just the way it sits..the only thing I don't like is on certain freeway changes the rear gets kinda lose on certain speeds..I drive 50 miles a day n our lovely houston traffic...its like jessecrx said to me its like driving a big gocart....
    Thanks for the info.... I'm taking everything in bad weighing all the feedback....thanks to all...