Removing hatch shocks

Trying to change out the shocks in my hatch so I don't have to use a stick anymore, and am stuck on trying to remove the bottom part of the shock. Have searched all around here and found little to no info....someone suggested taking a hacksaw to the shock so that you can access the ball joint and unscrew it. My new shocks have a ball joint that came with them, so I just need to get the old one out but I can't seem to get to it even with an open faced wrench and I really don't want to have to take off all my trim. Anyone know how to get these bastards off somewhat easily?

Comments

• knottyyknottyy Wagonist
    Ended up just taking a hacksaw to the shocks outer ball joint as I figured it'd be easier than removing trim. Just used the same ball screws as I didn't have an elongated socket to get the thing out anyways. The new ones are a bit longer than the stock ones and make the shocks stick out further than normal, but they sit nice and tight using the original ball screws. Here's a picture of me sawing off the old shock. 64.jpg
  • edizzleedizzle New Wagonist
    What the......?!?! if you need it to be done right you have to remove the trim... well not really remove it just pop it out so you can get your open end wrench in there... but yeah hacking it up is a big mistake...
    when i got my shocks everything was assembled... unbolt and bolt up
    Trim wasn't budging...there was not getting a wrench to it. Not that big of a mistake, as my hatch works now and everything came out fine in the end. Only ended up taking me about 3 minutes of sawing per side. The old original style of shock has the ball and socket preattached....it does not come apart. The new ones I bought snap onto the ball joint. I don't really see a problem with hacking off old shocks that go into the trash, other than it was kind of a pain in the butt. But it would have been even more of a pain to move my trim.
  • AlphaxomegaAlphaxomega Senior Wagonist
    Where did you get the new shocks?
    Pictures?
  • makabemakabe Band Wagon
    I got mine at http://www.autopartsbylou.com/index.php (used to be called liftstrutsdepot.com) They're currently selling for 22.05 each + shipping.
    I got them off of eBay, they were $46 for the pair and that's including shipping. Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Wagon-Tailgate-Lift-Supports-HONDA-Civic-1988-1989-/330659841716?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfcdcc6b4&vxp=mtr#ht_3719wt_1163

They seem to be working just fine now...it's awesome to have my hatch lift up on it's own. It's a two speed lift, faster at first then slower towards the top. Below is a picture of the connector socket that attaches to the ball by simply pulling back the clip and letting it snap back into place once around the ball. Happy to make s short video if anyone wanted to see it for any reason. 294.jpg
  • humorwvphumorwvp Wagonist
    I'd like to see a video. I don't think I have ever seen a wagon hatch raise by it self.
    Ha ha.....chu got it mang:

308.jpg
  • humorwvphumorwvp Wagonist
    Haha dam. That's cool. I have to replace mine also. I think I'm getting a set of these. great sound effects. lol
    Do it! I have been loving opening my trunk ever since changing them. No more stick in the trunk is great.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    Your other videos are better :mrgreen:
    Ha ha...I forgot that people could follow through to other stuff. Detective Charb doin work.
  • datmnkydatmnky New Wagonist
    just did this to mine. needed to come here to figure how to take em off. i love the two stage lift! i recomend everyone to get these... i have a question tho, whats up with the other videos?? :D