Confused about PS to Manual conversion

So, I've recently picked up a new baby in the form of an '89 RT beater that promptly had the clutch grenade so hard it took out half the damn case. Well, it's finally out of the shop and in my hands again, but the PS rack is pretty toasty and leaking fluid badly. I've read around a bit and there seem to be conflicting reports about which racks are direct bolt-ups to the wagon sub-frame. Some say the Si hatch (or CRX Si, can't remember) is good to go without any worry, but others have reported that the mounts and sub-frame themselves don't mix and match whatsoever. Is it that the Si and DX racks are sized completely different, etc... or am I just being a complete moron today?

Comments

• mtbikerTimtbikerTi Band Wagon
    I can't help you with your question, but when I bought my '89 it had a leaky rack as well, so I spent ~$38 for a seal kit and rebuilt it. That was 5 years and 60,000 miles ago and it's still in good shape with no leaks. Just to give you another option.
  • 90 RT4WD (Cody)90 RT4WD (Cody) Senior Wagonist
    I did a manual converion is my 90 rt4wd, Any rack from an Ef will work, although I bought a new oem rack for a 90 Si because it had a tighter ratio, it feels amazing in my wagon! (when I bought mine the power steering pump was froze up)

This is a good swap, as long as you don't mind manual steering haha
  • But how exactly would the mount/guide with the bushing fit?

My problem stems from how I've read conflicting things about how certain manual racks are thinner than the power steering ones and therefore you're left with an improperly fitting manual rack that just bounces and slams around in the larger mount.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Here's a picture from my build thread

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6784&start=330

I used both rubber isolators at the clamp
  • :oops: This may seem like a complete NOOB question, but doesn't the rack itself move side to side? Or does the center part just sit there clamped down and only the ends of it move left to right? I've never worked with steering components before so this one is a bit alien to me.

EDIT: I.E. I'm just worried about one of the isolators sliding out and then all hell breaking loose.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Yes the Centre part of the rack is bolted to the subframe, The components inside the rack do all the work moving left to right.

I believe the rack is bolted down via 2 or 3 bolts (cant remember exactly) on the drivers side and on the passenger side via a D bracket and bush. if the stock Power steering D bracket and bush is too big then use the ones from the non power steering rack. Other than that i dont see why you should have a problem.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    The other end of the rack is through-bolted to the crossmember. 3 bolts IIRC.