Question about EDM center console

Does anyone who has both the USDM and EDM console know if the ashtray is interchangable?
I know that hatchback/sedan/crx all won't fit the EDM console.

I have an EDM console that is missing the ashtray and finding another ashtray in Europe is kinda hard.

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I can't say conclusively that they will all interchange, but I think so.

I bought an EDM console from you and have swapped the ashtrays from my other wagons into it with no issues. I modified one ashtray for a GPS mount, and it moves from car to car.
  • Jasper89Jasper89 New Wagonist
    Jasper89 wrote:
    Does anyone who has both the USDM and EDM console know if the ashtray is interchangable?
    I know that hatchback/sedan/crx all won't fit the EDM console.

I have an EDM console that is missing the ashtray and finding another ashtray in Europe is kinda hard.

Thank you for your answer, that is what I thought. Would be even better if someone could really confirm this.
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    I will check on mine.
    DRMORTY wrote:
    I will check on mine.

Thanks in advance, really curious to know.
    All right.. I got your answer..

For the the EDM console ashtray. You can use a 90-91 USDM Civic Wagon/Wagovan Ashtray. Here is a pic of them, side by side. The fronts are different because one is made to match you dash and the other is black to match the console. But, they work correctly in either or..
    257.jpg

The USDM Hatch and CRX will Not. The slide rails are different. Not even the optional console ashtray will work.
    258.jpg

But, I did however notice, you can use any EF Ashtray if you change the whole ashtray holder. It takes 3 screws. Then you can use any of the ashtrays. They are just setup for the ashtrays to come out at slightly different angles. And they all have the mounting hole for the courtesy light.
    259.jpg
    260.jpg

So, not a big deal if you have a EDM or JDM console and you need an ashtray.. Easy to find or adapt other EF ashtrays in place.

Hope it helped.
  • JayTeeJayTee Wagonist
    I'll have to double check mine but I am running the edm console with the usdm ashtray. It was a little cleaner, fit the same.

Also had to use my usdm 12v power outlet, the edm had a different style plug. You could cut and solder as well.
    JayTee wrote:
    I'll have to double check mine but I am running the edm console with the usdm ashtray. It was a little cleaner, fit the same.

Also had to use my usdm 12v power outlet, the edm had a different style plug. You could cut and solder as well.
    Or take the pins out and change the plug head.
  • JayTeeJayTee Wagonist
    DRMORTY wrote:
    JayTee wrote:

Or take the pins out and change the plug head.

That works too :D
    I think I actually just swapped the wire at the outlet. Had like a hinged plastic piece to keep the wire in place.
    DRMORTY wrote:
    All right.. I got your answer..

Hope it helped.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for, didn't come to my mind to swap over the ashtray frame too, I have loads of EDM optional hatchback console spare parts, so that shouldn't be a problem.