Alternative engine swap idea - 4wd friendly

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1509995

This guy managed to swap a Mitsubishi 4g63 engine into his CRX. And since the 4g63 had a 4wd version, maybe its possible to mate the mitsu transfer case and the wagon driveshaft?

I'm not saying I would want a Mitsu engine in my own car, but you have to give him credit for accomplishment. And not just because its "unique"...I think thats a retarded justification for doing anything.

I do recall a CRX on the drag circuit back in the mid to late 90s with the same engine.

Comments

• oh seen this one a lot of people from thailand do stuff like this on there honda, thats what you really call HYBRID! :twisted:
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    Ya, seen the 4G's in numorous Hondas. However I wouldnt do that in a personal car. The DSM has very badass motors, but their trannys arent near as tough as their motors.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Bitsamissin... :D

But yeah a 4G93 would be pretty badass... but complete sacrilage.
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    I have the two side by side in my garage right now in fact I have my six bolt 4g63 out of the car and ready to get transplanted in the gsx. I bought the 97 gsx because I thought it was going to be an ez fix but after I realized the 7 bolt motor was cracked I grabbed a 6 bolt from the junkyard.

Well, lets just say this...during the gsxs downtime I looked at some basic dimensions & its possible no question. The rearend carrier and the driveshaft is different but if you look at http://www.lilevo.com you can see he took his and made it awd. Now you may ask what significance does this have on a wagon? His was never an awd platform but he basically made it a evo. Ours would require less fabbin since ther are provisions for rear end support, driveshaft and rear axle hubs, ect.

How difficult would it be/ Maybe like doing a H swap? UP front anyways... I also heard somewhere that Hasport has mounts you can buy to swap the 4g63.

My gsx is an automatic, which would be great for street, no lift to shift.

Trust me as it stands I have Mitsu parts, crv 4wd trans, 86rt4wd tranny, 88rt4wd tranny, cable S1 and of course my automatic
  • ...so you're saying your tempted, eh?
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    Well heres a quick breakdown of last year 2005....
    I had just bought the 97 gsx with plans on making it an everyday driver since my turbo wagon was acting like a tempramental beetch. I worked slowly on repairing the gsx's front end which involved cutting away alot of scrap metal. It doesn't look too bad in the pics but straightening the fender rail & most of that drivers side was a PITA.

While I was sourcing some parts for the repair I started locating some upgrades for it since I was constantly surfing the dsmtrader. I found a few good deals & WELL during that time I got MAJORLY RIPPED OFF on a deal for a big 16g from some local kid. The POS lied to my face, sold me a stock turbo.

He sold me a 14b as a big 16g and in so many words was going to get his fuckin face beat in with it if he didn't come up with the 16g. So threats were shot back and forth & we finally came to the agreement that AMS would settle this arguement once and for all.

....so I went to AMS and they ID'd it as a 14b, no suprise, well the guy basically shit his pants afterward. The little prick was a scammer up and down and I called his punk ass out. Believe it or not I never settled up with the dipshit since he convieniently disappeared/ end

Now back to the rest of 2005, feb 28th:
    I was riding to work on a totally crappy day and the weather was horrible. It was cold, wet and snowing/raining. I was riding a 5 lane highway like 5 minutes from work when this dumbass in front of me JUMPS on the brakes as this tour bus merges onto the highway. Mind you, the car was in no immediate threat since each vehicle was holding their own lanes but you can imagine the sudden need to slow the hell down. So I got on the brakes and basically stopped, had no choice since the dumbass in front of me wouldn't move.. As I stopped, I thought to myself this isn't a very safe place to be. Sure enough, about 30 seconds later WHAM
    wMTE5NjYxMjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
    This stupid ass CFD (Chicago Fire Department) paramedic, yes you heard me right PARAMEDIC
    fuckin barrels right into me doin like 50 on his way to work. Right before the hit I heard nothing, no brakes, no skid, no horn NOTHING
    OH AND TAKE A LOOK AT HIS RIDE
    wMTE5NjYxMzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
    He hit me SO hard he blew out my rear glass & it flew all over his windshield. He was using his wipers on HIGH at first to scatter the glass so he could see or get away or whatever.

No chance, I blocked his ass before he could try, took pictures of his plates ect.
    The frickin highway was wide open, I should've hung around and forced the police to do a piss test on his stupid ass.
    I ended up in an ambulance where later a state trooper met with me & gave me the details from the accident.

wMTE5NjYxNTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
    and heres the last look I had of my beautiful Odyssey van before the insurance company totalled it. SAD.

So now, here I am
    1. no car for work
    2. on mega pain killers
    3. and 2 cars NOT RUNNING

I had to do something. I started to get the black car drivable.
    wODU4NTIwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
    wODU4MzgwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
    wODU4MzgyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
    wODU4NDg5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
    wODU4Mzc5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Final product: As you can see I got it back up and running and if you look closely you can see the wagon in the background with the hood up. I was working on both at the same time.
    wODU4NDg4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
    wOTgxNDUzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
    wOTgxNDUxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
    Well, like 3 minutes into the final touches I found tons of antifreeze puking out of the car from some unknown place....again see the pics.
    wODU4NTE4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
    So thats when worked stopped on the black car, work focused on the red car . I pulled the turbo and put it back N/A & never had a prob since.

So this year this 6 bolt 4g63 is going in, hopefully I'll have it running soon. Obviously when I take the old motor out I can do more research especially when I start working on the wagon :wink:
    wMTE5NjcwMDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg