So I know you guys are tired of hearing this... BUT!

I have found some other choices, and I can't decided on what the best thing to do is.
Right now I have a D15, Auto, she smokes on anything over 4,000 RPMs, uses a little oil..

I want a new motor, but this car is a daily driver and I don't think I can afford a lot of downtime. I just want some more power out of this thing, I'm not really all that concerned with racing and what not. I want to be able to have enough power to zoom outa the way, and this thing isn't cutting it.

So here are the options.

Turbo the D15, maybe freshen it up a little. Almost no downtime, bolt on.

JDM ZC, probably a couple days downtime, cheap, could produce pretty good power, but a turbo D15 would blow it away.

B-Series, about a week downtime, wiring, mounts, etc. etc. Could outrun a ZC, give a turbo D15 a run for it's money.

H-Series, Who am I kidding, I can't afford to put a H in my car, or the downtime.

So there's my options, I'm really leaning towards the Turbo, it would be cheap, effective, and have enough power to suit me, and I would have a Hella cool front mount!!

Opinions?

Comments

• wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    also you want to put into consideration is $$$

IMO go with either a DOHC ZC, and maybe even eventually boost that OR just boost your D15, but like you said it would need a little freshening :lol: maybe later on after you tire of that you could put in the ZC and still keep your boost, as it is compatible. and after that get a B16 and sell me your ZC :wink: but anywho.... my 2 cents.
  • If done right the boosted d15 should outrun all of the mentioned swaps. I'd suggest swapping to multiport ahead of time, to save on troubleshooting.
  • duckie8310duckie8310 Senior Wagonist
    why dont you just find a nice cheap sohc vtec and boost that? they arent hard to come by, and you'll find a bump in HP from just the new engine, and the FI would give it an even larger boost in numbers. but if you dont wanna bother with that, then just go with boosting the d15. like kyle said, if done right and tuned correctly, it could do some damage and maybe even make you pee a bit in your pants lol. and a front mount IC would look sick. i'm a sucker for those. but make it a sleeper and do a side-mount IC :twisted:
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    We put a D16 from a 98 HX in my girls 90 sedan, replaced thee entire inrake manifold with a Skunk2 manifold and the rest of the shit from her D16A6 and its a fun ass little car. It was actually the first car we put on our new dyno and put out 106hp on the ground with lots of room for improvment.
  • SOHC VTEC F-series. either use a H-series trans, or a B-series with a H-to-B kit.

motors are cheap, cheap, cheap - with tons of potential. 140 lb-ft stock, 1st gen DSM turbo manifold bolts on with minor mods, and did i mention they're cheap?
  • Well the only thing is I know nothing about boosting or tuning a boosted car.
    I have no experience on it, and I think I could swap in a ZC since I've been reading a lot with it.

But a turbo will cost around the same and have tons more power, and it's practically bolt on.

I don't know.
  • duckie8310duckie8310 Senior Wagonist
    well since your goals are just more power, not racing or trying to put up big numbers....just go with the ZC. you get a jump in power compared to what you're putting down now. and you wont have to deal with tuning it, or even running premium gas. the only major problem you might run into is wiring, which isnt such a hard thing to solve.

yes you'll put up higher HP gains with the turbo, but you'll spend more money on it in the long run due to keeping it running in tip-top shape. plus i've always been a fan of the ZC. its a practical engine to swap into the wagon, and the numbers arent over impressive, but its a nice engine with some spunk to it.

• B series if you can spring about $1300 to 1500..which is not bad considering.

you can even keep it auto if you want..there's an auto B series..nobody tends to buy those so the price isn't very high.
    the 1st gens put out 160hp..you may get 140 or so to the wheels. the 2nd gens 170hp..
    i'm not sure but you might even be able to add on LSD to it.

if you don't have harsh smog laws, i say go with the most power. CA people have to keep that on the DL.

• jhota wrote:
    SOHC VTEC F-series. either use a H-series trans, or a B-series with a H-to-B kit.

or a h/f-to-d and keep the rt4wd :twisted: