My '90 RT Minime swap

So, my wifes RT died just on the outskirts of town on th estrt of a road trip (lucky to be near home) and I had it towed home. I started investigating hoping it would be a main relay or something, but nope - the t-belt was torn up. Then I started tearing it apart...

100.jpg

The pistons looked good, and there was no discernable damage to the A6 head, but...... I had always wanted to do a minime, and the A6 had 195kmi on it. I bought all the maintenance stuff (H2O pump, tensioner, gaskets, etc...) and found a nice '00 Y8 vtec head on ebay with 85kmi on it (it had a AEM adj cam gear as well :D nice) for $170 shipped to my door.

Here's the pile of old A6 stuff
101.jpg

It took about 3 weeks all said and done, but most of that was waiting for parts (oem stuff took the longest really :roll: )

then
102.jpg

oh yeah, I painted the valve cover with some high temp ceramic-in-a-can engine paint - and the exhaust heat sheild too...

oooooooh, sideways shot (see AEM gear)
103.jpg

I wired vtec with a rpm switch/relay - set to a 4800rpm changeover. I also had to retard the cam gear 4deg to get TDC right on - then I added another -2 to that to spruce up the bottom end a bit more (non dyno tested, but butt dyno approved).

She runs great and get 2-3mpg more than when it was stock - mo powa is good, although not a TON of umph but more than it had - especially in the 3-4,00rpm range, which is excellent for climbing mnt passes. We rally this car up over 12,000ft passes almost every weekend and it does better than I could expect :D

104.jpg

Nice shot post ripping through the neighborhood with my son Ian, plowing snow, and lovin it!!! we had a TON over the holidays here around Denver. Dunlop Graspic's on stock wheels. I have del sol 14" 5-stars for summer.

Later
Chad

Comments

• duckie8310duckie8310 Senior Wagonist
    very nice.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    i believe Akiraboy also has this setup. looks very nice mate! i like that valve cover finish :D
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    looks rad.. the snow down in colorado is awesome.. im dying to get down there and shred...
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Welcome along! She looks good and i like the colour on the valve cover, looks very nice.
  • Thanks all!

I really like the valve cover too - it turned out better than I though it would. The repainted exhaust heat shield really makes th engine bay look clean too (old finish was worked over).

I'm trying to find a local dyno that has a emulator and can tune the PM6 with turboedit or the like to get all the power/efficiency I can out of the setup. Then maybe a cam later..... and more dyno time. all in due time.

And yeah, the snow is kickin so far this year. We just rode Winter Park on Tues and had a killer day - have season passes there so it's at least once a week we go. Snowing as I type :D
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    soooooo jealous of colorado snow; not to mention you got a season pass.... ooo i hate you.... :D
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    Snowing as I type :D

lucky bastard :twisted:
  • where did you get the RPM switch for the VTEC???
  • RPM switches through Summit Racing. They're like $40. Relay from auto parts store, they're $5.
  • i jus got done asking if any one did this to an rt. heres the thing blew my headgasket gonna start rippin it apart tomorrow i have a z6 head complete that is available to me and a p28 ecu. since you already one step in front of me and if you have the time to let me know what im going to need and to do? that would be great. if i find out how to make this work it will be going into 91 rt4wd
  • ^^ you'll need a matching distributor too, and a obd0 -> obd1 harness if you do it that way.
  • thanks man i have the complete motor but the block is bad due to a spun rod. do you know what head gasket do i need or any other odd ball stuff?
  • I'd recommend the head gasket for the z6 or y8. because they are metal, not the composite crap (takes forever to clean off the surfaces). the y8 is the thinnest head gasket, it will net you a little higher compression in most circumstances.