Front speaker replacement

Hello guys,

As you know I own a 1992 civic shuttle RT4wd.

My car currently has these wicked bad boys installed:

20180708_175408_zpspwczk4mz.jpg
20180708_181331_zps8i1sbos7.jpg

As you can see it sits in a plastic shroud, which sits in a door.

I have searched throughout the forum, there is no sticky for the front speakers.

But there is a whole lot of info saying speakers that are from 12cm up to 16.5cm WILL FIT our doors.

Unfortunately, deep speakers are a no go, since from our metal door to window we got only 6 cm of depth.

Furthermore, the stock speaker itself is NOT 12 cm, it is more like 7.5 cm, and the whole plastic thing is 12cm.

However, surely we cannot just take the plastic out and put in a speaker, we need to make some sort of ring around it for the speakers to work properly.

So, lets make this thread about actual real front speaker replacements.

Any info with pictures of your front speakers is very welcome.

2 things to consider - windows must go down all the way and front plastic cover must stay in tact.

Comments

• superhatchsuperhatch Moderator
    I've got a set of BNIB brand name speakers (cant remember which brand atm) that will fit that have been sitting in my garage for a while. I'll send them your way if you pay for shipping.

I got them to replace the speakers that were in my car but found I had a wiring issue and my speakers were just fine.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    superhatch wrote: »
    I've got a set of BNIB brand name speakers (cant remember which brand atm) that will fit that have been sitting in my garage for a while. I'll send them your way if you pay for shipping.

I got them to replace the speakers that were in my car but found I had a wiring issue and my speakers were just fine.

Ugh, I saw the post just a bit too late, I already have purchased 13 cm speakers. The depth is fine, but I had to murder out the plastics in order for the new speakers to fit in.

However, I think the difference will be massive.

20180709_164555_zpsiw6zxxb3.jpg

Old vs new.

20180709_211527_zps6oeladhx.jpg

And lots of sealant to make sure it is snug.

20180709_213027_zpsfqikwcfs.jpg

So, if you want to replace a stock unit, you have to buy ultra small speakers.

If you are willing to cut up the stock plastics, you can go up to 13 cm speakers.

If you want to replace the stock plastic, and make your own bracket, the 15-16cm speaker might fit, but make sure to remember that from the metal there is only 6 cm of depth to the window.

Cheers for anyone looking at this for info from the future.