Idle/acceleration trouble

Hey everyone. I am having some idle/acceleration problems. It idles low and has also died one me. Also, when I am at a stop and press the accelerator, it almost dies but then goes. Other than that it runs pretty smooth.

I have had a lot of recent work done on it. Within the last couple months I have replaced the piston rings, head gasket, timing belt and tensioner, water pump, thermostat, radiator and idle air control valve. Before I replaced the idle air control valve the engine would rev up and down. It has helped that. Now it's not idling right.

Any my ideas where to go next with this?

thanks in advance

Comments

• klumklum Senior Wagonist
    bad o2 sensor?
    bought a car from washington had oem o2 on it and it was barely running consistantly try that ( make sure you get ones with plugs already
    and did you replace with a brand new or used / refurbished ICAV
  • bt-dubbt-dub Band Wagon
    It was new. I'll throw a new o2 in. It's cheap enough
  • Have you checked the timing? MAP sensor good with good vacuum line? TPS voltage correct? Also, crazy as it sounds, make sure your alternator is charging and has correct output voltage and grounding. I had a bad voltage regulator create an idle issue because my idle air motor was seeing wildly fluctuating voltage at idle. Also check for vacuum leaks.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    yep i'd go with both mechanical and ignition timing check (confirmed with a timing light) to start, vac leaks, and then an idle screw set procedure. If you cant idle down to about 500 with the iacv unplugged something else is wrong.
  • EVILEMPIREEVILEMPIRE New Wagonist
    Mine does that but never turns off i jave found out my timmimg is skipped 2 teeth but yet i haven't fixed it when i put the car in neutral it idles perfect but put it in drive and shakes like crazy and goes back to normal i can hear my exhaust sputter