Meet Ethelyn

I'm back.

SOOOOOO story time?

I had a CRV for a little bit. Just until the Element title got sorted out. It got sorted out. So I sold my CRV. The night before my CRV was to be picked up by the new owners, I was cruising craigslist for no specific reason.
67.jpg

I should preface this with- my wife told me; "After the CRV sells, please stop buying cars for a while". I agreed, because I had other plans and was researching importing some things and registration laws in Colorado etc.

Anyways, I was cruising craigslist, and a wagon popped up claiming it had 66k original miles. My spidey senses were piqued. I Called. I drove over to look at it. Confirmed mileage. And condition. Did some research on the seller’s story (He said he bought it at an estate sell from 90-year-old lady who had passed).

I found Ethelyn's name and info in the original warranty book in the glove box. I found her obituary online. I read all about Ethelyn for some reason. She died of cancer. She was actually 88 years old. She bought the car new and it was delivered to Ralph Schomp Honda in Littleton Colorado in 1991. She put 31,000 miles on it, before she passed in January of 2012. Real cool fact about Ethelyn- she got her Bachelor’s Degree in 1945! Kind of a crazy time in history... and I don’t think it was a common thing for a woman to achieve during her era. I’m pretty sure neither of my grandmothers have degrees. I imagine Ethelyn was extremely smart and strong willed.

The guy I bought the car from was equally interesting. What is it about these wagons that attract the most bizarre people? I forget his name, but he loves going to estate sales and his property shows it. Everything he owns is a little weird and perfectly preserved. When I went to look at the wagon, standing next to it was a 4-foot tall dinosaur. I knew at that moment; I would likely buy the car. He was also 50 something (in age) and still skateboarding. He had 4 or 5 skateboards hanging on the wall and other skate paraphernalia lurking around. My senses were overloaded.
He told me he had been driving the wagon (for the past 4 or 5 years) to keep the miles off his truck and his other wagon (an old ford). He was selling the civic wagon because he picked up a newer Cadillac (wagon)---- at an estate sell--- obviously. We agreed on price and I told him I’d be back in the morning to pick it up. He said he had to work, but his wife would be in.

That morning if you recall, people were stopping by my house to buy the CRV. They came. They purchased. I called an Uber as soon as they took the keys. Straight to pick up a new car like my wife specifically told me not to do.
68.jpg

When the wagon owner’s wife let me into her home- it was like walking into another time. 1950 to be exact. Midcentury modern. Only everything was authentically from that time period. None of the fake shit from Ikea. It was actually really cool and fascinating. The kitchen, where I signed the papers, also fascinating. Who are these people? Can I be friends with them?

Anyways, I signed some papers and gave away some paper$ and was on my way.

Meet Ethelyn. The wagon.
69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

Total mess of a person.
76.jpg

Comments

• I see you have found the imaginary unicorn RT! In Red no less. Congrats! Hope you enjoy it! Automatic I assume?
  • mistahjoemistahjoe New Wagonist
    i hate you
  • mistahjoemistahjoe New Wagonist
    awesome find, but the back story - even better.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    arries289 wrote: »
    I see you have found the imaginary unicorn RT! In Red no less. Congrats! Hope you enjoy it! Automatic I assume?
    I like to think, maybe, it found me.
    Yes Automatic
    mistahjoe wrote: »
    i hate you
    lol
    mistahjoe wrote: »
    awesome find, but the back story - even better.
    Thanks, it is a really nice wagon, maybe the nicest I've ever owned? I am excited to get started. :cool:
  • Gorgeous. Worth the marital strife. Mostly because there will always be marital strife but will not always be a little old lady's RTAWD.
  • Dash-N-CarsDash-N-Cars Senior Wagonist
    Awesome story, as soon as I saw it on Instagram I was so happy :applause: Friggin' beautiful wagon as is per tradition. You were the one to inspire me to grab an Element 7 years ago, I still have it and love it more everyday.
  • shelbydaveshelbydave Band Wagon
    Dang ol dang!
  • WOW! Awesome story Bill. I agree with jb2wheels also! Don't let Charb see this thing.
    jb2wheels wrote: »
    Gorgeous. Worth the marital strife. Mostly because there will always be marital strife but will not always be a little old lady's RTAWD.
    I know right?!!!
    Awesome story, as soon as I saw it on Instagram I was so happy :applause: Friggin' beautiful wagon as is per tradition. You were the one to inspire me to grab an Element 7 years ago, I still have it and love it more everyday.
    Hell ya, love your Element!
    shelbydave wrote: »
    Dang ol dang!
    a double dang?! dang!
    WOW! Awesome story Bill. I agree with jb2wheels also! Don't let Charb see this thing.
    I think Charb already has a couple of wagons? right?
  • 91 RT4WD91 RT4WD Wagonist
    Wow this thing is so clean. I don't think I've ever seen a cleaner red wagon! I hope you keep this one.
  • BillBoard wrote: »

I think Charb already has a couple of wagons? right?

I think he is down to one and he was looking for a unicorn just like this.
    Tint Removal with the wife's clothing steamer. Works brilliantly.

34.jpg

35.jpg

All Better
    36.jpg

37.jpg

Then I had some foglights lying around...
    38.jpg

39.jpg

a little on the tight side once I put the covers on... Will go back and trim and add a little piece of black trim...
    40.jpg

41.jpg
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    I am sure people will be as surprised as I am that I looked away from the wagon momentarily, but that's a nice wagon banner in the last pic lol.
    bkmc24 wrote: »
    I am sure people will be as surprised as I am that I looked away from the wagon momentarily, but that's a nice wagon banner in the last pic lol.

lols. yeah my friend designed that and had it up at my 31st birthday party one year. (when I had the gold wagon)
  • thestzathestza Wagonist
    that fuggin WAGON!!! FUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    Another tremendous find and tasteful updates. So jealous.
    Got a couple wheel projects going on right now... ? I dunno what I'm doing with these wheels yet... but ya know.

cleaning bolts.
    83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

polished center cap
    87.jpg

one done. 3 to go. Takes forever.
    88.jpg

89.jpg

and then these other wheels. Finally tracked down 4 center caps.
    90.jpg

91.jpg

I dunno.
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    I have nearly that same tumbler. How long did you tumble with the walnut media? I found it to not have nearly enough bite to it. I ended up getting some black magic blast media and tumbling with that instead.

though I wasn't polishing chrome bits with it so maybe not relevant.
    I have nearly that same tumbler. How long did you tumble with the walnut media? I found it to not have nearly enough bite to it. I ended up getting some black magic blast media and tumbling with that instead.

though I wasn't polishing chrome bits with it so maybe not relevant.

about 16 hours.

I thought it did a pretty good job... I dunno
  • Yeah probably good for that. I was taking rust off mild steel for mine, so a bit different of a process. Either way fun stuff! I do like those last wheels the most though.
    this seems familiar. Spare wheel. since i need a couple of bolts...

59.jpg

Had to accept some award on behalf of this new company I work for. The award ceremony was on a Wagon Wednesday.
    60.jpg

overhead console from previous wagons installed.
    61.jpg

62.jpg

took wagon to the mountains. A good Sunday drive.
    63.jpg

climbed an ant hill
    64.jpg
    Haven't update this in a while...

USDM console. Carmate cupholder.
    7.jpg

Armrest.
    8.jpg

Had the rust repaired by autobody shop. They did a below average job on color matching.

before
    9.jpg

after
    10.jpg

11.jpg

Got the 5th mugen wheel finished up. Ready for tires. and money.
    12.jpg

Dilly Bars with the boys.
    13.jpg

Happy wagon wednesday.
    14.jpg
  • I know I've had a busy summer, but how did I miss this! Congrats on the wagon!!!

I lol'd at this bit:

"When I went to look at the wagon, standing next to it was a 4-foot tall dinosaur. I knew at that moment; I would likely buy the car."

superhatch wrote: »
    I know I've had a busy summer, but how did I miss this! Congrats on the wagon!!!

I lol'd at this bit:

"When I went to look at the wagon, standing next to it was a 4-foot tall dinosaur. I knew at that moment; I would likely buy the car."

Thanks, dude! How is your wagon coming along??? I saw you almost sold it!!!?!!?!!!

Delivery.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Also this weekend, we went to the mountains to see the colors... Wasn't really expecting to see the color white. SNOW!
    19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg
  • CamoCivicCamoCivic New Wagonist
    I love your little red wagon! Nice work. dang!
  • BillBoard wrote: »
    Thanks, dude! How is your wagon coming along??? I saw you almost sold it!!!?!!?!!!

The wife is going back to school full time so I had to slim down. Decided to sell my 2016 Africa Twin instead of the wagon. :)

Are you...ahhh...looking a full EDM interior? :P

I've got some other interior plans and I was just going to store those pieces, but if you are interested lmk.
    CamoCivic wrote: »
    I love your little red wagon! Nice work. dang!

Thanks man!
    The wife is going back to school full time so I had to slim down. Decided to sell my 2016 Africa Twin instead of the wagon. :)

Are you...ahhh...looking a full EDM interior? :P

I've got some other interior plans and I was just going to store those pieces, but if you are interested lmk.

Good call on the sell!

This wagons interior is virtually flawless, so not really looking to go EDM. But I am curious what you have planned for your interior???

She low now:
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

And the Element got some new shoes. 18x8 Accord Wheels.
    6.jpg
  • sohawksohawk Wagonist
    That's a nice drop. How low did you go?
  • Let me know what you think about the Pro-S after you ride them for a while. I've grown to like mine a lot but wish they could go just a little higher.

Well, I'm sticking to an idea about a Singer-esque rebuild, probably starting 1/2 way through next year. Interior would be two race seats, new custom carpet/dynomat, cage, custom rear deck, stock front half but dyed black.

I'm linking my build spreadsheet in my thread if you want to take a look.
    sohawk wrote: »
    That's a nice drop. How low did you go?

They are pretty much as high as they go... and the front is a dash too low for my taste.
    Let me know what you think about the Pro-S after you ride them for a while. I've grown to like mine a lot but wish they could go just a little higher.

Well, I'm sticking to an idea about a Singer-esque rebuild, probably starting 1/2 way through next year. Interior would be two race seats, new custom carpet/dynomat, cage, custom rear deck, stock front half but dyed black.

I'm linking my build spreadsheet in my thread if you want to take a look.

I wish the fronts went a little higher.

Install was super smooth- which was nice. But the ride is not spectacular. If I had it to do over again- I would buy Ground Control Coilovers/Ground control extended tophats/new struts. I had the Ground Controls installed on the wagon you have? And I thought they rode nicer on stock struts than the Skunk Pro-S ride.

Overall I give the Pro-S a B-.

Anywho.

Great weekend.

From Skateboarding.
    38233972856_48ebe5ba00.jpg

To Snowboarding.
    24418061908_3a0fe2caa8.jpg