From rt4wd manual to an automatic

Hello,

As you guys probably have seen I am currently rebuilding a d16z6 engine for my 1992 rt4wd manual shuttle.

I want the car to be an easy going cruiser, and I wonder which automatic transmission would be the best fit for my shuttle?

If I have to I am willing to sacrifice 4wd and go for 2wd, but I would like to have at least 5 speed auto in my car.

I know this is unusual to switch to auto, but I have other 2 manual cars, and I really would love to make my shuttle a comfy car!

Comments

• auto to manual, or manual to auto swap and keeping RT4wd will require swapping out the passenger side trans mount bracket "ears." You can check out the process I had to go through in order to go manual-to-auto in my build thread:

http://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?17008-Brown-Ecstasy&highlight=brown+ecstasy

However if you go with a normal d-series 2wd trans, I don't think you will have to do this. I'm pretty sure the rt4wd manual trans is the only one with the unique trans mount bracket. I could be wrong though...not sure about how auto 2wd d-series transmissions mount up...
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    You would still have to modify the trans mount, just the reverse of what skittlenips did. I'm curious: does your '92 still have a cable-actuated clutch?

To my knowledge, all of the automatic transmissions of the era were 4 speeds as well.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Yes it does bam-bam. And sweet info skittlenips! Somehow my honda buddies are trying to get me away from the manual to auto transmission switch.

I somehow still want to make that happen. Does anyone on this forum by chance have the whole auto rt4wd transmission swap?
  • qbeyqbey Band Wagon
    Tadas wrote: »
    Yes it does bam-bam. And sweet info skittlenips! Somehow my honda buddies are trying to get me away from the manual to auto transmission switch.

I somehow still want to make that happen. Does anyone on this forum by chance have the whole auto rt4wd transmission swap?

Dude, the RT4WD civic wagon comes in auto from the factory. Maybe I'm being too obvious, but... why not just get an rt4 auto trans? I've got an auto and I gotta say the shifter is pr sick. it's got a regular D, and also this S mode where it uses a second thumb button on the knob to toggle the overdrive which is SO DOPE AND HANDY. Sounds perfect for an 'easygoing chiller' car, cos you can get the benefits of downshifting when you want them without having to shift around all the goddamn time whether you like it or not.

Plus you keep 4wd! I honestly think that it's a no-brainer to have an automatic real-time 4wd system on a chill automatic leisure vehicle.
    You'll probably wanna drive out into the mountains or the desert or the forest, loaded up with a bunch of camping gear probably. and all of those places are nicer to drive thru if you don't gotta worry abt dragging ass up a big hill or getting stuck in a lil ditch or having to turn tf around coz the pavement ended and oh noooo some gravel.
    But it's still a chiller leisure vehicle. A manually-engaged 4wd system means you gotta fuckin stop. and play with it. and don't go too fast and break it. Fuck all that, make that shit automatic too!

Trust me man, it's worth trying to keep the RT4WD system, and it's worth getting the right auto trans and shifter assembly. It's the chillest thing I can imagine. Mine is lifted a bit as well, and I really like not having to give a shit about anything except driving. Don't gotta worry abt shifting, don't gotta worry abt terrain, don't gotta worry abt if I'll find big enough parking, sure don't gotta worry abt gas very often lol. :cool: