First swap

Guys could you help me on my first swap

i got a 1990 wagon with a crx si trans
96 dx d16y7

so what parts do i need to do this swap? do i need new axles, linkage, mounts, harness, etc.?

thanks! please guide me guys

here's some pictures of my swap

first i got a nice clean 1990 wagon
DSC00675.jpg

stock engine but its not working
DSC00676.jpg

picked up a d16y7 complete with tranny
DSC00678.jpg

FIRST OF ALL HERE ARE MY TOOLS :twisted:
DSC00681.jpg

after 4 hours all by myself i finally pulled down the engine!
DSC00685.jpg

then i cleaned the engine bay,
crammer.jpg

that's for today, not bad for a first timer :lol:

Comments

• 95gainfla95gainfla Band Wagon
    since your going from d->d you can use the stock tranny/axles/mounts/shiftlinkage and all that stuff.

i do suggest new oem mounts though, but they arent needed.
  • i started pulling out the stock engine and removing the d16y7 trans for the crx si trans

biggest problem is the engine harness? is it plug and play for the d16y7?

plus i wana use the IM and TB of the d16y7

im not good on electrical stuff :(
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    if you keep the intake & dist from the wagon along with its wiring you shouldn't have too much of a prob BUT if you decide to keep the components you will have to do a 4th gen mpfi conversion and thats being conservative.
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    If you're using the '96 ECU there's a lot of wire matching.If you want every bit of HP,then '96ECU(better fuel mapping).Does your DX have VTEC :?: If you use your '96 block & head,then it's plug n play. :twisted: :twisted:
  • oh ic, so i better stick on akiraboy's advice then coz i just want this wagon to be n the road ASAP coz my coupe is goin bye bye (i've been hearing a lot of sounds under the hood coz of beating up last summer and fall on events)
  • will post some updates as soon as the rain stops
    :oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry I screwed up.What I said applies to the 4WD not your 2WD.Your mention of the CRX Si tranny threw me. :oops: I'll get back to you with details later.S :oops: RRY!Got to go .I'm LATE! :cry:
    You never answered my :?: VTEC on your DX :?:
  • SiWagon wrote:
    You never answered my :?: VTEC on your DX :?:

sorry d16y7 got no vtec

btw im usin a crx si tranny, could i use the flywheel and clutch that is currently on my d16a6 on my d16y7 block? is it direct bolt on?
    Yes you can use the D16A6 Flywhl & Clutch.
    Akiraboy was right about the engine.
  • thanks guys! wat if i use the stock flywheel of my d16y7? would it still fit? i just removed the pressure plate and clutch on my d16y7 and the flywheel is still smooth but the clutch is dead
    Check one of the other Honda swap sites for better info like Hondaswap.com.
    The info I have is a little fuzzy.It depends on what year CRX Si tranny you have :?:Spline count. What size flywhl did the peeps put in when they swap in the CRX tranny :?: If they used the OEM clutch.It maybe smaller.This may not matter since you're working on a B18 swap :wink: .The smaller clutch in the y7 fly will hang in there till the B18.The D16y7 fly may actually be lighter than the OEM fly even though it might be larger in diameter.I like the design history behind the D16y7.. :twisted: Just compare them ,when you pull them out.Compare the TO Bearing too.If you're keeping the AC...See if the y7 AC brkt will fit...it's lighter. :twisted:
  • SiWagon wrote:
    Check one of the other Honda swap sites for better info like Hondaswap.com.
    The info I have is a little fuzzy.It depends on what year CRX Si tranny you have :?:Spline count. What size flywhl did the peeps put in when they swap in the CRX tranny :?: If they used the OEM clutch.It maybe smaller.This may not matter since you're working on a B18 swap :wink: .The smaller clutch in the y7 fly will hang in there till the B18.The D16y7 fly may actually be lighter than the OEM fly even though it might be larger in diameter.I like the design history behind the D16y7.. :twisted: Just compare them ,when you pull them out.Compare the TO Bearing too.If you're keeping the AC...See if the y7 AC brkt will fit...it's lighter. :twisted:

the crx si tranny is for fits on the dtock d16a6 (it came with the car when i bought it)
    Don't know D16y7 fly diameter?So I don't know if it'll fit.Probably.Do you know if y7 P.P. is good :?:
  • tried searching for it, the d16y7 flywheel would fit a crx si tranny :lol:
    :D COOL!Weight it when u have it out.I wouldn't b surprise if it's lighter than the CRX Si fly.
  • i'll just leave the stock d16y7 flywheel in there and put on the crx clutch and plate with it,
  • my dad and i placed the engine in today the old school style! :lol:
    but i had to stop bolting the parts back coz it rained :(

DSC00688.jpg
    :shock: We can rebuid it! :shock:
    Go Marc...!G :P Marc...!!
    The EE9 will become the MARC-One-Eleven
    8) :evil: :twisted: He .He.He!!!
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    EE9?
  • on my title it says EE2? :?

btw about the temperature sending unit on the engine block for the d16y7 could i use the one on the cylinder head? coz the stock temp unit on the d16a6 is too big for the d16y7 block :cry:
  • marc-111 wrote:
    my dad and i placed the engine in today the old school style! :lol:

Let's not confuse "old school" and "ghetto".
    Whatever you call it, I'm impressed...that's really a hard way to do it.

You know that a lot of places rent engine lifts for really cheap?
    Or heck, I just bought the engine lift.
    They go on sale at Harbor Freight all the time. It was like $139.99. Its paid for itself many time over. If I charged $10 every time I loaned it to someone, I could have bought a second CRX.
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    I jus broke down and bought a lift the other day, I am glad I did. I can't imagine life without. I have a harbor freight tools 5 minutes from my house too!!!
  • it wasnt bad though it only took us like 10 secs to lift it up there

but when i swap my rebuild b18c1 here im surely gonna have a lift coz i also need that to swap my coupe for a k20a :twisted:
  • my car started up for like 30 mins and after that tried driving it for 10 meters then i hered a bang sound then i was still in gear the wont move no more, then i turned off the car. Pushed the car back to my driveway and checked it then tried starting it up again but it wont start no more?

guys any clues?

BTW using a pres plate and clutch from a crx si (for the trans) and using the stock d16y7 flywheel
    :cry: Will it turn over :?: Visual check...pulleys...input half shafts...
    Clutch plate installed backwards...used the CRX TO bearing?Pull lower clutch plate cvr off to see. :?
    :cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe Very BAD :cry: news.The Pilot bearing on the D16y7 is different from the D16a6.At least it's a different part #.You should probably be using the D16A6 Piolot bearing. :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • SiWagon wrote:
    :cry: Will it turn over :?: Visual check...pulleys...input half shafts...
    Clutch plate installed backwards...used the CRX TO bearing?Pull lower clutch plate cvr off to see. :?

the car starts now! :lol: timing was way off thats why

only problem is the transmission coz eventhough i dont step on the clutch pedal it goes in gear and it makes a very strange sound :x

i installed the clutch plate correctly

used the CRX TO bearing?Pull lower clutch plate cvr off to see. :? >>> were is that?

is this the bearing? near the clutch? i dont recall having a bearing on it when i removed it?
    acura_stage4.jpg
  • when my car first started i run it for 10 meters then there was the loud bang!

BTW when i test drove the car i forgot to put the bolt on the driverside strut fork (got too exited :lol: ) maybe thats one reason, but when i pulled both axles to check the driveshaft it was ok though
    Pilot bearing is the small bearing in the pic that the alignment tool is pointing at.Hopefully that bang came from the fork.Reason 2 remove cvr 2 see if clutch blew up.The bearing is in the flywheel center.