Pass. speaker working intermittantly

As the title says, my pass. side speaker works from time to time. I've swapped out the factory speakers with some pioneers which are working. I'm no radio wiring expert but judging from the fact that if I push up or down on the harness plug at the back of the head unit the pass. speaker works, means I have some loose wiring at the plug or my radio is FUBAR right? Will replacing the factory head unit fix this or do I still need to fix the wiring at the plug? Thanks in advance!

James

Comments

• bigluelokbigluelok Wagonist
    loose or frayed wire? maybe the conection is bad check the wiring
  • bigluelok wrote:
    loose or frayed wire? maybe the conection is bad check the wiring

Did your read his thread or just the title?

Aftermarket radio companies will use the same plug for most of their line for many generations within that brand. So you could try getting another harness. That's most likely the problem that the pin connector is loose but there's no way for me to know without messing with it in person.
  • NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    Sorry to resurrect this from the dead, but I just put speakers in my wagon and I have the same issue. Push up on the connector, and the right side starts working again. I have a co-worker with an EG that he let me borrow the aftermarket radio from for diagnostic purposes, and it worked fine, no matter how you jiggle the connector. I think there's a faulty solder inside the radio or something. Maybe the pins in the radio side of the connector are too thin?
  • Cracked solder joints is a pretty common issue, so I wouldn't be surprised. You could break the radio open and look where the pins hit the circuit board or something like that and see if you can see any cracks (just like with a main relay). Repair by simply re-melting the solder, possibly adding a bit.