Window crank :(

so the crank just moves freely clockwise and counterclockwise.
i removed the door panel and the plastic sheeting, then took out the crank bolt and i looked inside the crank gear and its worn out like a bitch.
it effin hot in california and summer is coming along and i am dying with no ac and the stupid window wont go down now.
how do i fix this?
and where can i get the part to fix this?
will it take forever to fix?

Comments

• stampernstampern Senior Wagonist
    Any junk yard should have the replacement parts you're looking for. You might have to replace the whole gear assy, but it shouldn't be very hard. I'd go to the junk yard and pull one out of their cars so in case your screw something up it's on a junk car and not your own.
  • Look for a used regulator assembly in good working order and replace. Shouldn't take longer than an hour start to finish.
  • AlphaxomegaAlphaxomega Senior Wagonist
    thanks for the replys ill look for it next time i go to the junk yard and take it apart and see if it fits in.
    hope it works it gets hot in my car :x
  • 91_wago91_wago Wagonist
    does it have to be out of a wagon? or will a sedan regulator work?
    (bump)
    Can any ef regulator work on the driver side of 89 wagon?
    year specific ef or doesn't matter?
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    The wagon regulator is different because the glass is taller. I once modified a sedan regulator to put on my wife's car. I got it to work, but the glass wouldn't roll all the way down into the door. Much better than none at all, and it got us by until I found a wagon one.

Year specific? I'm not sure if it matters or not in this instance. I do know that '88 window CHANNEL is an oddball, so stay away from '88 parts if you can.
    ok so if i find a sedan one how did you modify it? hard or easy?
    i am just looking to be able to roll the window atleast half way down dont care if it doesnt roll all the way its just too hot here in cali.
    It's been a couple years back, but as I recall the track on the regulator was a different length. I had to flatten out a staked place at the end of the tracks to allow the rollers to come out the end so I could swap out the track. I don't have any disassembled to take pics of, but if You lay the 2 regulators side-by-side the difference is apparent.
    haha ok i will look up on it next time and compare and contrast and see what is done
    thanks for the input bam appreciate it alot.
  • see im in the same boat but it gos up nnd own all the way. i stil have my original regulator but I am a few inches off my mark for where the glass mount any suggestions?
  • SCPOWSCPOW Band Wagon
    So I just picked up a wagon.. the driver side window rolls down halfway only and is kinda hard to roll back up. Would removing the door panel and greasing the regulator make it work better? Or would I need a new regulator?
  • I actually just did this a few days ago. My driver side window crank was really worn out and would move all over the place so I replaced it with a Dorman brand regulator I purchased off ebay. The lower bracket that the glass mounts to was different so I pulled the bottow track off the old regulator and put it on the new one. Also, when you do swap out the lower bracket, clean it up really well and use a lube so it slides better. I cleaned it then used Heavy Duty Silicon Lube and it works great! Hope this helps everyone :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-740-446-Window-Regulator-/350943478415?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b5dc828f&vxp=mtr
    Good stuff! I didn't know we had an aftermarket alternative.

So it fits, glass rolls all the way down?
  • can anyone confirm the dorman regulators? Would be cool if those worked with a little modifcation
  • Glass rolls all the way down! I was very pleased with the Dorman regulator. Swapping out that bottom track was all that was needed to make it work
  • sweet, I may try this out, I have a backup one that is in good shape, but why not :)
  • rbwdrivenrbwdriven Senior Wagonist
    MrWhoopee wrote: »

last time one of us checked they were out of stock at dealer.

I know I bought mine at the dealer for around that price.
  • I replaced my driver's side regulator with that of a Sedan, by dorman. I just swapped out the glass mounts (dunno what else to call it, but the part the glass itself actually bolts to). They're the only different bit on the units really. My window works as it did before, goes all the way down etc.