fender flares!

I recently brought a shuttle and i plan to slam it on some 15x8 with 165/50/15 with 20mm spacers as you can imagine they will sit quite far out from under the guards, here in New Zealand its legal if the wheel sits under the body line of the car, therefore I require assistance in purchasing fender flares. anyone done this? i dont mind if they are just bolt ons
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I’m new to the site so sorry if it’s already been covered somewhere.
Bart.

Comments

• turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    well for starts u gotta go introduce your self in the new members section and post pix if u can. yes theres a guy on here who did a sweet flare job on his wagon. check out members rides section and welcome!
  • bartybarty Band Wagon
    thank you.
  • Bolt on is by far the easiest. I originally used a set from a Nissan S13. Took a bit but they worked. Jaker also used the same ones on his car.

I think the flares I used will be overkill. I am using 16x10s and there is still space. I am even thinking of using a small spacer.

By the way turbo-teg i didn't think anybody payed any attention to my thread :D
  • bartybarty Band Wagon
    great, thanks for the help. where would i find photos? plus do you know where to buy em?
  • bartybarty Band Wagon
    what year s13 etc etc?
  • bartybarty Band Wagon
    looks like you had to do alot of work for yours, look great but
  • but?

Nissan S13 is any 240sx (USA), 180sx (japan), or 200sx (europe) from 89-94. Just look through my thread. Last few pages should have the fender flares from the S13 on there. Here is a quick pic

331.jpg
  • bartybarty Band Wagon
    but nothing, it looks dope!
    im looking for some flares now, before i mount my wheels

("but" is used as like a nothing word where i live, a bit like "man" etc etc)
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    barty wrote:
    ("but" is used as like a nothing word where i live, a bit like "man" etc etc)

Only by the young illiterate crowd pouring out of NCEA classrooms... :P
  • bartybarty Band Wagon
    haha, well then its not my falt? hey when can i get intot the parts section this site?
  • colecocoleco New Wagonist
    To get into the parts and vehicles section you have to read the rules.
    (not to circumvent the rules but you basically have to post in the new members section and introduce yourself.)
    Its hcw's way of giving people a reason to look over the rules which, after a quick scan of the info, will help everyone to have a better experience here.

welcome to the site :D
    are you from australia? i know a lot of people who say "but" at the end of sentences from australia is why i ask.

Edit: i saw your introduction thread you figured it out ^^
    Makes sense to me that people from NZ say "but" to its close to australia :D i find it interesting
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    South Africans say 'yeah', Canadians say 'eh', New Zealanders generally have inflictions in the tone of their voice. Like an upwards infliction suggesting it's a question but really it's not. Hard to explain... back on topic though!

S13 flares shouldn't be hard to find at all in NZ.
  • bartybarty Band Wagon
    yeh i think ive found some so this post can be removed soon
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Posts don't really get removed. If it has relevant info that others can search it will be left in place. ;)
    I'm just gunna have to get some of those s13 flares to play with too. ragenasian makin me jealous.
    I had been wondering about the scion xb flares and missed the post in ragenasians build thread about the S13 flares (you cant blame me i was busying lookin at his metal ones).

like these if they would fit
    (not my car i "borrowed" this pic as an example of the flares that i have been lookin at. I apologize if I offend the owner in any way buy using this picture. I think the work on it looks great and id love some work wheels ^^b)
    xb_flares.jpg
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    that right there is the ugliest thing evar.
  • Coleco Those actually might fit pretty good. Those look to be shorter than the s13 ones. The ones I have also run way past the fender down across the bumpers. Plus I had to do some work to make it fit the rear door because there isn't a lot of room. Those already look to be notched for that rear door. I think these might be the ticket.
  • bartybarty Band Wagon
    ill be the one to give it a go!
    the scion pictured wouldnt be my personal choice either its just hard to find pictures of the sides of cars with flares, they always do the front on shot or 3/4 angle or they are dark colored and the flares are hard to see (maybe its just my screen XD ) I did compliment his work on that scion because i borrowed his picture and thats only fair of me lol.

In my opinion the front flare on that scion doesnt fit quite right with the profile of the front fender; its a little odd looking, it 'might' fit a civic wagon correctly tho.
    Those look pretty close to the shape i was imagining.
    really ragenasian or jaker or some of these other guys with flares already would give you the best input.

That listing has a few yellow caution flags for me personally tho.
    1.Their rating is below 99% with 3000 sales (always makes me read their feedback)
    2. There is no refrence to who manufactures them and with exactly what they define as the "Best Fiberglass"
    3. It says can add 2-3" of girth which is confusing semantically. They are obviously a static width because there are divets to mount these with screws. it would be hard to cut them off to make them bigger or smaller or you would cut those divets off so im guessing they are refrencing the front(2") vs the back(3")

Nothing that couldnt be fixed with some emails im sure, good sellers always are happy to answer that stuff. Maybe some better pictures of the backside of them can reveal with what type of quality they were manufactured. or some measurement to know if they are the right over all size.
  • Those look much better than the fiberglass ones I just sold. The ones I bought though had great pictures as well but I think the problems with mine were that the guy couldn't keep up with demand and started to cut corners since people were coming down on him pretty good. Manufacturer I wouldn't worry about as I have found some people are pretty good right out of their garage and some companies can't get you a decent product out of a factory.

Anyways I paid about the same for mine plus shipping. Their feedback is something I wouldn't worry about. In today's world people complain about everything. No matter what you do somebody is always going to complain about something. 3100 plus feedback at 98% is a very good number.

The 2-3 inch width i guess depends on how you mount them as some fenders have a slope to them and some don't. The wagon fenders already have a slight flare to them so you probably won't get as much extension as you would with a fender that doesn't. I have a pretty good flare now and my 10 inch Steffan wheels don't even fill the arch now. One of the problems you might run into if you decide to go this route.

However if you order and it turns out to be crap don't come on here and blame me (you do have the right though :lol: )
  • theidealonetheidealone New Wagonist
    Try googling DIY fender flares. I found a cool write up for making fiberlgass flares, that really wouldnt be hard. Just a little effort, and mess.
  • Here's another couple shots of S13 flares on a Wagon:

76.jpg

75.jpg
  • bartybarty Band Wagon
    how much work was it to get those on there?
  • Took a bunch of careful cutting and sanding to get the edge of the flare to follow the angles of the body, and then a couple well placed screws. It took me most of a day to do 3 flares. That was summer 2008. I've still got the right rear left to do.
  • There are a few different S13 Flares. Jaker's set is shorter than the set I had. The set he has is probably a better choice although I did get mine to fit pretty good. It is pretty tedious work to get them to work right as he said. Get you a dremel as that worked well for me.
  • To the OP, if you are needing these flares for your Borbet knock off wheels, then they are only 15x8 +15et, with 20mm spacers they will be -5et.
    Seeing as you will be running 165 tyres you will be able to fit them under the stock guards by pulling and rolling them, no need for flares at all. When you lower your shuttle the camber will increase a lot, tucking the tops of the wheels into the guards
  • There was a CRX on Ebay last week that had flares from a 90 VW Jetta on it that looked pretty good. He said it took some work with a dremmel to make them fit but they did look nice.

They would look better on the wagon though. 8)

Found it:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-4-s ... 2478wt_958