Radius Arm Bushings, have you done yours? you should.

Anyone that's been on the board lately knows of all my suspension problems over the years. you name it, i've had it go wrong. This last week was the radius arm bushings. these bushings are OFTEN overlooked as they are not really visible.

ordered some a complete repair kit, ( MOOG part #K9735) comes with the little metal sleeves and washers. At first i was just going to order the bushings, glad i didn't.

first nut i try to take off is the one on the front of the pass. side arm, SNAP. the nut & part of the arm snap off. it was completely rust welded on there and the sleeve had been hammered out and was never going to come off anyway. I took off the other side without a problem. FYI: remove the two bolts on the control arm before attempting the front nut. You won't be able to get a socket & extension on there otherwise.

next morning: waiting at the wrecker before they open, he knows me by name already and just kinda laughs to himself when he see's me. i grab an arm off a wagon and he says i can just take it. BONUS! Get home, put it all back together and.... things are noticeably better. The car now tracks nice and straight, even after my alignment last week it was all over the place, not anymore.

IF YOU CAN BEND YOUR BUSHING IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND IT IS SHOT! the new moog bushings where about 1/2" taller than my completely worn out and pancaked bushings. that's a lot. i could also bend them in my hand. the new ones, i tried jumping on them, hitting them, and even jedi mind tricks would not change their shape.

So what i am really getting at is... for a $35 kit and about an hour of your time you can noticeably improve your car's feel. and you probably already have the very minimal amount of tools required.

-17mm deep socket (1 nut on front of the radius arm)
-swivel adapter thingy for the socket (this will save you much frustration but it can be done without it)
-17mm wrench (2 bolts on the control arm)
-10mm socket (removal of plastic under rad support)
-screwdriver (removal of the plastic wheel well stuff)
-19mm (only if you take the wheels off, you don't actually need to but it makes the job easier)
-a few extensions for your ratchet as well.

you don't even need to raise the car if you don't want to.

i used some grease on the metal sleeve as well.

no pics as usual.

even the most mechanically challenged can do this.

Comments

• I did mine in the spring. I noticed the old ones were a lot thinner than the new ones. I think it was wear from the washer and a couple decades of bumps.

Can't really say it fixed my suspension problems, I just did them along with a complete suspension overhaul.
  • I'm starting to develop a weird problem with my front drivers side suspension, when I take off from a stop it sounds like the front suspension shifts back. I'm thinking it might be the radius rod bushings. Radius rod bushings are the bushings that are under the radiator so to speak, right?
  • White&NerdyWhite&Nerdy Senior Wagonist
    Keep an eye on the rod, too. My 87 MR2 had a similar setup, and when I got it the car would pull to the right under hard braking. When I finally got in there, I found that the arm itself had rusted to half its original diameter in one place, and was flexing under braking :shock: This caused toe-in on the left side, and therefore the pull to the right. The arm actually broke when I removed it, I think. Problem went away when I put the new rod in.

Something for us rust belters to keep in mind.
  • i did mine just yesterday with energy bushings, major difference. i highly recommend replacing them if you havent yet.
    i also had the suspension shift around, new bushings fixed it right up.
  • Marc_EE9Marc_EE9 Senior Wagonist
    if you can, get Energy Suspension radius bushes, they work wonders, and are one of the few places they actually make a difference for the better. (16.7104)
  • realtimefunrealtimefun Senior Wagonist
    theses are the big bushing that are like inside the front cross member? cuz my wagon runs all over the place when it hits a pot hole. and i dont want to spend money on any front end line up till i do my bushings cuz they are ALL shot.
  • Marc_EE9Marc_EE9 Senior Wagonist
    theses are the big bushing that are like inside the front cross member?

yessur!
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    Note: Retorque the bolts after a few weeks/month!

I used a torque wrench when I did mine back in August. Followed the Honda Repair Manual specs.

today i noticed that when i was turning right at highway speeds i would get a lot of thudding and vibration. Pulled over, and instinctively looked at the nuts on the front of the radius rods. the one on the right had backed off about 3/4".
  • quarters wrote:

I used a torque wrench when I did mine back in August. Followed the Honda Repair Manual specs.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'll be replacing my Radius/Strut Rod bushings here shortly and was curious about these torque specs. I don't have a manual and couldn't find anything on google. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
  • Marc_EE9 wrote:
    if you can, get Energy Suspension radius bushes, they work wonders, and are one of the few places they actually make a difference for the better. (16.7104)
    Is that the right part number? Everything I'm finding shows that to fit 90-93 Integra, and Part Number: 16.7102 is for 88-91 Civic/CRX.
  • udubrx7udubrx7 Senior Wagonist
    quarters wrote:

today i noticed that when i was turning right at highway speeds i would get a lot of thudding and vibration. Pulled over, and instinctively looked at the nuts on the front of the radius rods. the one on the right had backed off about 3/4".

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to add that if you are just replacing the bushings, and there is no hardware with the kit, you need to order a new self locking nut for the end of the radius rod from a Honda dealership. The nuts are made to only be torqued down once, and so once they have been removed they don't self lock very well again, and the actual amount that you should torque them is different. So make sure and use new self locking nuts and DON'T OVER TORQUE ANY SUSPENSION COMPONENT PEOPLE!!
  • udubrx7udubrx7 Senior Wagonist
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'll be replacing my Radius/Strut Rod bushings here shortly and was curious about these torque specs. I don't have a manual and couldn't find anything on google. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

FSM specs are 32 lb-ft for the self locking end nut, make sure not to over torque it! If you have to reuse an old self locking nut then at least put some loctite on it.
  • Tatty90EE4Tatty90EE4 Wagonist
    udubrx7 wrote:
    I know this is an old post but I just wanted to add that if you are just replacing the bushings, and there is no hardware with the kit, you need to order a new self locking nut for the end of the radius rod from a Honda dealership. The nuts are made to only be torqued down once, and so once they have been removed they don't self lock very well again, and the actual amount that you should torque them is different. So make sure and use new self locking nuts and DON'T OVER TORQUE ANY SUSPENSION COMPONENT PEOPLE!!
    udubrx7 wrote:
    FSM specs are 32 lb-ft for the self locking end nut, make sure not to over torque it! If you have to reuse an old self locking nut then at least put some loctite on it.

Thanks for the info!
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    im gunna do this sounds good!
    Back up. Good info heRe. I just replaced my moog mushings with energy suspension.
    They are an often overlooked bushing because they cant be seen.