FACTORY SPEAKER PODS just not HOnda...

2»

Comments

• my junkyard has a few sets of these passport/rodeo speaker pods but i cant see the pics anymore... can someone put them back up i would love these in my rt... help the new guy out ..
  • Old SkoolOld Skool Council Member
    I was looking around the yard the other day and came across a 4wd toyota corolla wagon (88) and it had a funky rear roof mount speaker pods-storage bin. The center bin has dual hinges so it can be opened from the front or the rear. The speaker pods looks like it will hold a 5 1/4" speaker and 1" tweeter. Its amazing how well it contours to the civic's roof line. I will see if I can get pics of it held in place
    2012-03-27T08-06-09.jpg?
    2012-03-27T08-06-19.jpg
    2012-03-27T08-06-28.jpg
  • rbwdrivenrbwdriven Senior Wagonist
    I like that speaker set up old skool.

Now to make it work
  • Can i get a pic of the passport/rodeo pods. I picked up a set at my local yard and would like to see how they were mounted. Thanks
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Old Skool wrote:
    I was looking around the yard the other day and came across a 4wd toyota corolla wagon (88) and it had a funky rear roof mount speaker pods-storage bin. The center bin has dual hinges so it can be opened from the front or the rear. The speaker pods looks like it will hold a 5 1/4" speaker and 1" tweeter. Its amazing how well it contours to the civic's roof line. I will see if I can get pics of it held in place
    www.civicwagon.com
    www.civicwagon.com
    www.civicwagon.com

I am on a Mega Search for one of these.. All-Tracs wagons are harder to find than RT4wds!
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    DRMORTY wrote:

I am on a Mega Search for one of these.. All-Tracs wagons are harder to find than RT4wds!
    sir i must agree with you.... :!:
    im doing a junk yard run this weekend ....
    3 civic wagons @ one yard and 1 civic wagon @ another yard ....
    now im looking for one of these so i can install some M57 midranges in there... will add so much to there sound ....
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    Wow... crazy those Toyotas are rare elsewhere. Between our 3 yards, 2 wagons raped. And probably 12-15 of those AWD Toyota wagons. If they weren't so damn ugly I'd probably own one lol

Definitely have a look for some goodies next time...
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Charb1618 wrote:
    Wow... crazy those Toyotas are rare elsewhere. Between our 3 yards, 2 wagons raped. And probably 12-15 of those AWD Toyota wagons. If they weren't so damn ugly I'd probably own one lol

Definitely have a look for some goodies next time...

Dude...
    Get me one of those speaker/storage roof setups!
    I'll pay..
    Please! :)
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    damn it i wish i would have seen this sooner ( even tho the pics are down ) i cut my speaker mounting bracket already hopefully the headliner is sturdy enough to hold them in regardless
    i cant believe im bumping this thread again but im so pissed off rn lol ,
    i can't find the comment where this guy says he didnt have to do anything to modify the rodeo speaker bracket to get it to work so i went and found a car at pnp the other day to get a new bracket because i had already cut mine as you see in the comment above .

so i get the bracket home and try to line it up as it says and it doesnt ( i knew i wasnt an idiot 2 + years ago! )

i recalled someone else had the same speaker setup and also said they didnt have to cut it so im here begging to the civic wagon gods somoene to send a civic wagon angel and post some pics of the bracket installed because as far as i can tell theres no effin way you can install it without cutting ..
    I think if i cut these sections i might be able to have a roof bracket mounted speaker which is better than just having the cut bracket and the weight of the brackets and the speaker being held up by the interior panel . if i cant get the support im going tojust say eff it and punch circles and zip tie up the head liner in the rear it sounds ghetto, because it is.
    http://i.imgur.com/n2i0yp3.jpg?1

283.jpg
  • I don't think you can mount the speaker pods to your turbo. But if you can, that would be very interesting.
    fixed... everytime i host thru imgur and use the forum image code it just uses some random picture from the internet that somehow has something to do with hondas but its not the image i posted. i wish i had that effin setup
    delete it did it again -_____________-
    compiling all the data i can find with functioning pictures dug this up from 2011
    Well, I did get a little work done on the wagon over the holiday weekend. I didn't get as much completed as I would've liked but I think I made some solid progress.

108.jpg
    This is what I started out with. (That black bag is covering a an old CRT monitor that was going to a friend in need. Laptops are nifty but when the LCD screen breaks it helps to have some old tech to hand.) At the top is the sheet metal stiffener/mount for the Isuzu pods. It is bolted to the body above the headliner in the Rodeo. At the bottom are the painted pods. The gold-ish sheet metal doo-hickey is what bolts to the stiffener below the headliner with the headliner sandwiched in between. The pods themselves bolt onto the doo-hickeys. This was what I was trying to replicate transplanting these parts into the wagon in the same configuration.

109.jpg
    110.jpg
    The Wagon is narrower then the Rodeo so I needed to remove a section in the middle. Until I knew how much I just cut it into two so I could eyeball it and figure it out.

And then I looked and figured, and figured and looked. And then I scrapped that idea and decided to go with the previously posted method. I would have to drill and tap new holes in the edge of the body/frame above the bubble windows, find hardware to fit, massage the stiffener pieces to fit... well, that was a bit too much for me to bite off so I didn't.

111.jpg
    Then it was dark so I just test fitted the right pod.

112.jpg
    While I had the headliner out I figured to go ahead and recover it. Here's a before shot.

99.jpg
    The next day, after I finished my chores, I retired to my specially appointed upholstery shop. before starting with the spray adhesive I wiped the whole vinyl surface down with rubbing alcohol to degrease. The product seen here is Loctite Spray Adhesive Professional Performance Heavyweight Bonding. It is some sticky stuff but still manageable and the clean up isn't too bad. Any over-spray I had I just waited ten minutes for it to harden and brushed it off. When I tried to brush it off before it set it just smeared but once it hardens it looses tack and can be cleaned up relatively easily.

113.jpg
    After it was covered and set I did simple sort-of X-shaped cuts for the dome lights.

114.jpg
    It's not perfect but I was able to limit the wrinkles. This section will be covered by the rearview mirror anyway. The discoloration here is from some pollen/dust that seeped into the upholstery shop. A good brush-off followed by a damp wipe took care of it.

100.jpg
    And a full length after shot. At this point I hadn't decided how to finish the front and rear edges so they have some loose fabric. I was concerned whether the rubber trim pieces would fit back on over two extra layers of fabric. And it was dark again so I wrapped it for the night.

After test fitting the rubber strips I decided to wrap the fabric around the front and back edges just the same as I did the sides. No pics of that unfortunately.

115.jpg
    Back at it this afternoon, this is what I'm working with; A fall-back set of sockets (and bit-driver) since my main toolbox is rattling around Wagon Meca somewhere, hardware and parts for the pods. And a can of PB B'LASTER that I had to get to remove one stuibborn screw from the rearview mirror, bungees, drill bits, etc. And store brand soda. 'Cause cheap is how I roll, lol.

116.jpg
    You can barely see them in this pic but I've stretched the green bungees between the plastic trim at the top to make it a bit easier to slide the headliner back in. Sometime after I snapped this pic I pulled the dome lights loose.

101.jpg
    And here's a shot of the headliner in place.

117.jpg
    118.jpg
    Having read the directions for the FACTORY SPEAKER PODS just not HOnda... Mod but without pictures I'm sort of making this up as I go. I located the inside stud of the hatch hinge and cut a hole in the headliner so I could bolt the gold-ish sheet metal doo-hickey in place. This hole started much smaller and ended up larger. After much effort and improvisation I managed to get JUST ONE of them bolted in place. While a setback this isn't too bad as I still don't have the pigtails from PAP that will allow me to use the factory disconnects and I haven't tied onto the factory harness in the wagon. If I had ANY speaker wire I might have spliced them on but no joy. I'll have to take this loose in the near future anyway but hopefully I'll be able to do that with another set of hands to help muscle it back into place. I'll take more pics of that process.

Doing this bit solo, installing the pod mounts, is a real pain in the neck. Seriously, get help to do this part. It would have been MUCH simpler and easier to do with one person pressing the doo-hickey into place and the other catching the threads on the stud with the nut.

I hope you all had at least as much fun as I did this weekend!

108.jpg

109.jpg
    110.jpg
    This is as far as I got with the stiffener. I started out by cutting it in two just to the side of the foam cushion that's at the center. Again I was cutting long at first with an eye toward measuring it against the place I wanted to install it. Shortly after this I abandoned it for the method previously outlined (without pictures). bam-bam is still planning to use all of the pieces in his next build ...and judging by how that wagon will be used it will prove useful to have EVERYTHING inside the car bolted up as securely as possible, lol!

I guess im gunna just hit this in the head tomorrow since i couldnt find anything on bam bams post and it appears terminus ' build came to an abrupt end ( looked fixable to me ! )
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Terminus' wagon was fixed, and swapped again, he just doesn't post here much anymore.

I never did get around to playing with those speakers, theyre still hanging back in the shop. My intent was to cut that crossbrace in half, then mount the pieces at the outer ends with the center cut overlapping. Then just weld the center up. Sounds simple, right?
    thats what my intial thought was when i first mounted them up, homie who lives in his car hmu needed a new window installed after someone broke his so i didnt get around to my install , will follow up tomorrow and show yall how i do it.
    honestly if you have your plastic panels in the rear around the window just mounting the speakers to the headliner works as the plastic holds the headliner up but it does sag in the back a litttle around the light.
    i plan on just cutting the thing to fit and then just tapping a few sheet metal screws , this thing is so thin and it will over lap i cant see this causing any noticable unbalanced look effect.
    if that doesnt seem pheasable im gunna just go with my orignial method just running the backing plate and getting some zip ties to hold it up ( as im getting rid of my rear plastic pieces ( i figure if i ever do show my car the broken pieces arent gunna help me win any trophies any way.
  • Are there pictures of these pods installed? The old pic links are broken. This might be something I wanna give a go myself. Or since I'm working a lot with fiberglass I might just mold my own and weld in custom brackets.
    192.jpg

i just found this on my own photobucket, its not what we're looking for but i wanted to show everyone what my first attempt was (which i have been claiming to reattempt now with more insight from the terminus thread) but as i write this i kind of realize ive been doubting my self and my own engineering skills.

kind of makes me want to reconsider chopping up this new speaker bracket i ought for $20 and just return it for pick and pull credit... go back to my first idea and zip tie it to the frame in the rear to hold up the speakers... lets face it folks that IS the simplest solution and also the lightest ;)

i will do measurements tomorrow and line it up having said this . i realized its my pops bday so i put the project on hold and bought a shit ton of bricks to get to this other project ive been putting off . i hope to knock out both tomrow.
    192.jpg

i just found this on my own photobucket, its not what we're looking for but i wanted to show everyone what my first attempt was (which i have been claiming to reattempt now with more insight from the terminus thread) but as i write this i kind of realize ive been doubting my self and my own engineering skills.

kind of makes me want to reconsider chopping up this new speaker bracket i ought for $20 and just return it for pick and pull credit... go back to my first idea and zip tie it to the frame in the rear to hold up the speakers... lets face it folks that IS the simplest solution and also the lightest ;)

i will do measurements tomorrow and line it up having said this . i realized its my pops bday so i put the project on hold and bought a shit ton of bricks to get to this other project ive been putting off . i hope to knock out both tomrow.
  • Also I would look at a possible combo of rivnuts and sheetmetal.

My thought would be if there's already metal up there in the appropriate places, make a template for the bolt holes off that bracket, transfer them to the metal in the wagon and then drill and insert rivnuts. That way you have nice solid connectors that you can just bolt the pod right up into.

If there's not metal there then use some sheetmetal to fill in what's needed so that you can do the rivnuts.

I have a pop rivet gun and rivnut tool so that's how I'd go with it.
  • this thead is making a simple job way to hard. i installed these in my wagon 2 years ago and it took me about an hour. i will be moving these over to my 4wd wagon so i will take pictures and post up the install. you DO NOT need the long cross bracket. all you need is the speaker pods with the pig tails and the metal brackets that the pods attach too. run your wire up to the pods and cut a small hole in the roofliner at the hatch hinges. use one bolt from the hinges to hold speaker bracket in place and attach the speaker to the bracket. thats it. i will add pics once i re do my install to help other with this.
  • Do it! pictures are always needed =D
    34.jpg

35.jpg

invalid wrote: »
    this thead is making a simple job way to hard. i installed these in my wagon 2 years ago and it took me about an hour. i will be moving these over to my 4wd wagon so i will take pictures and post up the install. you DO NOT need the long cross bracket. all you need is the speaker pods with the pig tails and the metal brackets that the pods attach too. run your wire up to the pods and cut a small hole in the roofliner at the hatch hinges. use one bolt from the hinges to hold speaker bracket in place and attach the speaker to the bracket. thats it. i will add pics once i re do my install to help other with this.

please do , im curious to see how only thing i can think of is mountign them using just the bronze piece some how?

heres where i got today.

just going the same route i did before.

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

im going to probably just punch two holes in either side and run zip ties and loop them thru the two circle holes in the frame

sorry for all the format issues i wrote this all already and my screen froze.

edit : another image that was hosted that wasnt mine..

i figure two punch holes i will use the rear light as a guide and run it straight across to the corner using the holes in the headliner from the oh shit handles as a second guide reference.
    45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

used the scalpel i had

perfect for zip tie holes

51.jpg