My cupholder mod

Comments

• Bought one today, trying it tomorrow. Cant wait :D :D 8)
  • Here is what i did today :D
    241.jpg
  • i think I have revolutionized the wagon world.
  • I think you have Kahuna, I also think wal-mart owes you some money :lol:
  • khemistrykhemistry New Wagonist
    Can't find that cup holder at my walmart here in Toronto. I'm still on the hunt for my cup holder. In the meantime I bought the small single cup holder for now.
  • PrefaderPrefader Band Wagon
    I know this thread is getting old, but I had to drop in a quick "thanks" for the idea.

I happened to see one of these cupholders in a wal-mart today, and had to do it . . . spilled coffee just this morning.

To avoid putting holes in my center console, I bolted a couple of pieces of nylon webbing (cut them off an old backpack) to the cupholder, and just ran the screws that hold the center console in place through the webbing to hold the thing still. Looks clean enough, and won't leave much evidence if I decide to remove it later.

img_0287.jpg
    img_0288.jpg
    img_0289.jpg
  • White&NerdyWhite&Nerdy Senior Wagonist
    That's pretty cool, actually. :)

This may not work for RT4WD automatics like mine. I have the "LOW" button (locks the tranny in 1st) in the forward left corner of the shift console, which is pretty much where the left cupholder would be. I don't see why this wouldn't work in a FWD model, though - I don't think they have that button.
  • THANKS Kahuna!
    wife says this is a go. it's her daily driver so I gotta get anything past her...
    new rims were a no brainer as we needed tires anyway, and a whole set, rims AND tires from a salvage cost us $50 USD.
  • MikeBMikeB Wagonist
    The Walmart cupholder is great, holds two cups, has tray for stuff. I hadn't read this thread before getting this one: http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html

It's ok, but I have to add a velcro strip to the front of the ashtray and top of the cupholder, and leave it open, so it won't rock. It only holds one cup. Dang.
  • MikeB wrote:

we had one of those on the driver's door when our wagon came to us. IMHO, it was in the way, so it went away. I like your mount location better, but yeah, only one holder sucks a bit.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    You guys must have gigantic cups. A kiwi going to the U.S must think they are at the top of the beanstalk or something.
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Haydz wrote:
    You guys must have gigantic cups. A kiwi going to the U.S must think they are at the top of the beanstalk or something.

I know!!

Our large cups are like half the size of their large ones!
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    lol our larges are like 32 oz.....
  • MikeBMikeB Wagonist
    But the holders have this little flap thing so you can put normal sized cups in. At least mine does. We'd spend all our time in the loos if we put nothing but 32 ouncers in those things. :lol:
  • skinnyskinny Senior Wagonist
    It's been awhile but didn't 711 used to sell 64oz cups? I know IFC has a mega that's a half gallon
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    I dont know what a Oz is in real measurements :lol:

Id say our large would be 500-750ml maybe? Definitely under one litre
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    An Oz is what you pay $150 - $350 for. :lol:
  • MikeB wrote:
    The Walmart cupholder is great, holds two cups, has tray for stuff. I hadn't read this thread before getting this one: http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html

It's ok, but I have to add a velcro strip to the front of the ashtray and top of the cupholder, and leave it open, so it won't rock. It only holds one cup. Dang.

Hey is that the Pioneer 7000BT you got?
  • Oz is a wizard
    and his name is
    Jack the Ripper

?
  • MikeBMikeB Wagonist
    Draggin' Waggin' - Hey is that the Pioneer 7000BT you got?

Yeah, and I really love it, except that it won't show playlists from my iPod, and I can't get it to upload the phone book from my LG Chocolate phone. I bought it at BestBuy, so I'm gonna get a Geek Squad guy to give me a hand. It may be that my iPod is too old (3rd gen), and I'm pretty sure that the LG Chocolate phone has issues, too. Either that, or it's that pesky "operator error" that you sometimes hear about. :roll: Been planning to get a new phone and an iPod touch to control music around the house anyway - this may push me to do it sooner than later. Talking handsfree, syncing the phone with the car is the bomb, though. Just like my sister's 7-series BMW. Only without power steering or windows, or the attitude that other drivers dish out when driving her car. :lol:
  • WagonWhirledWagonWhirled New Wagonist
    is there a part number and manufacturer listed for this dual cupholder?

3 walmarts by me..none have it.

thx
  • siggmundsiggmund Band Wagon
    I did the mod on all three of my wagons in about an hour using a razor knife, a drill and a few sheet metal screws I painter matte black. Wife, teen and I are very pleased. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • stampernstampern Senior Wagonist
    I was SO excited when I saw this. Did it to my wagon a while ago and I'm loving it almost more than the Skunk2 coilovers and the new motor. Also, I thought this would be a great thing to do to my 90 Sedan. DOESN'T FIT - I WAS SO PISSED. Since the seats sit lower the part of the cusion that touches the cup holder is closer together. I'm so bummed. Gotta look for something else now. Grrrrrr

Sorry - had to vent. LOL
  • Marc_EE9Marc_EE9 Senior Wagonist
    218.jpg
    Lol... same one I used for years.

x2

im making a dashmat cup holder at the moment ;) :mrgreen:

nice job though!
  • AlphaxomegaAlphaxomega Senior Wagonist
    pretty good mod
    im going to buy this cupholder and try to fit it in automatic lol
    if it fails o well
    atleast i tried :mrgreen:
    has anyone seen those mega huge cupholder things for cars in walmart their freaking big!
    :lol:
  • I was just thinking of how I was going to make a cup holder today. Great job guys. Thanx
  • chriswfchriswf Band Wagon
    Hey I know this topic is sorta old, but I had been searching for ways to install a cupholder of the sort. And places to stash change from a drive-through.

Fits perfectly. It was cheaper than me going out and buying another bucket of res for fiberglass. Does the job well, and looks natural.

A super thanks from my side.

And...
    pretty good mod
    im going to buy this cupholder and try to fit it in automatic lol
    if it fails o well
    atleast i tried :mrgreen:
    has anyone seen those mega huge cupholder things for cars in walmart their freaking big!
    :lol:

Yes I saw these, ran through my mind over and over again. "Could I make it fit?"
    3$ is far more convincing than 20$+.
  • AlphaxomegaAlphaxomega Senior Wagonist
    well i stopped by a walmart and got one
    made the cut
    and put it in real fast lol
    it looks cool and it has alot of cool compartments
    and its automatic lol
  • well i stopped by a walmart and got one
    made the cut
    and put it in real fast lol
    it looks cool and it has alot of cool compartments
    and its automatic lol