Rev's CreamMachine, CREAM PIES AND MUSTACHE RIDES!

Comments

• AbideAbide Council Member
    havent been able to find a set of those anywhere, gotta be able to run 14s! nice!
  • RevmaynardRevmaynard Council Member
    I don't think I own anything smaller than a 15" for my wagon anymore. lol My rebarreled steelies are 15" and my current wheels are 16". I just happened to come across an EX in the junkyard and when I saw it I made sure to pull the spindles, master cylinder, and the steering wheel because it was mint! I've had a complete set of DA front spindles like these since Bam and I did my LS swap years ago.....now I just have them for my DA. lol
    Got my collection of parts together minus my new calipers. Got the spindles disassembled today, going to paint them tonight and press everything in tomorrow.

157.jpg
  • Nice, I've been working on my spindles. I still need to get bearings. But I've been cleaning them up, filing down the casting marks, and just trying to make them a bit prettier. I used some VHT epoxy paint on mine, just wanted to get a nice finish on them so cleanup doesn't suck total balls. They had a good half inch of grime built up in some spots on them.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    so freakin jelly. this is seriously the last thing i want for my car besides those giant bearings kingpin machine makes for the radius rods. Cant wait to see some pics of these knuckles!
    I didn't get to spray them last night unfortunately. One of the spindles had a boatload of axle grease on the inside and I spent some time cleaning them before it was completely dark which wasn't long after I got home, so it won't be until next week until I can get them pressed together and next weekend before I can install them now. My cousin is going to press them together at his work for me and I usually only have about 30 minutes of day light when I get home from work during the week. :-/

I did bring my calipers in to core out for some I ordered last night that I'll pick up later today. The ones on it needed to be rebuilt so I figured I'd go ahead and do new ones.
    Finally got off of my ass and painted my spindles. Now just need to reassemble and install! Pic quality is kind of shitty because it was dark when I took it.

125.jpg
    I got hung up looking for splash shields since the ones off of the brakes originally were torn up. After no luck locally finding any I ordered a pair of new ones from Honda.....it's almost infuriating how much something so basic can cost.
    Tomorrow after work I'm looking at going to get a new set of wheels. Dropping down to 15x7 +38 if the guy doesn't flake!
    I picked these up today. Less aggressive for sure, but I'm ready to be able to enjoy driving my car again. 15x7 +38 with Hankook Ventus 195/55/15.

169.jpg

170.jpg
    Lifted it and threw the wheels on yesterday. I also went ahead and ordered new front lower control arms and radius rod bushings so the whole front end is basically rebuilt.
    Here are some installed shots. I raised the car about an 1" all the way around. It sits pretty level when on flat ground, but my driveway it busted up and uneven. The rear is as high as I can get it without changing to a new rear shock. My original skunk2 rears leaked down after sitting for the last 3 years.

174.jpg

175.jpg

176.jpg

177.jpg

All in all I'm happy with it, it rides smooth and steers a lot easier. It is weird not having such an aggressive offset after so many years though. I got my factory Honda splash shields in yesterday to finish getting my spindles put back together!
    Drove the car in to work today and it drove great on the highway. Nice and smooth with the new wheels. Buuuut once I got off the exit it threw a CEL and all seemed fine still, but once I started to pull away from a red light it started bucking and bogging. The CEL is code 9, so I'm hoping I don't need ANOTHER distributor for this thing. I'm going to take the cap off and take a look at it at lunch today.
  • Sorry this is probably obvious, but have you just coloured your corner lights orange? Or does a specific model have the oange lights. In nz we only have the clear types. Thanks
    Yeeee! Unfortunately they sent me the wrong effing rotors....

218.jpg

219.jpg

I'm gonna clean up the area around the back of the hub but I didn't want to get any over spray on the bearing surface.
    I got the proper rotors in, but noticed one of the brand new wheel bearings is making a low sounding growl to it when spinning it by hand so I'm pressing it back apart and replacing that bearing......

I just ordered a set of skunk2 pro 2 coilovers to replace my old skunk2 sleeve and spring setup I've ran for over 50k miles since 2008. I also ordered in a set of rear lower control arms to throw on at the same time.

I'm about to repaint a spare valve cover so I can do my gasket because my sparkplug grommets are leaking pretty bad, so once I do that I've got some new NGK plugs and wires to install.

I'm also waiting to install my new RMF narrow style header with skid plate to replace my beat to shit eBay 4-2-1 I've had on it since I did my swap. I plan on replacing my oil pan too because it's trashed, so I have a spare OE pan and a new gasket waiting for that.

How about some throwback pictures while we wait?

255.jpg

256.jpg

257.jpg
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    glad to see your love affair with the wagon has been re-ignited!!!
  • Love the wheels! Very cool....Did you have some no-name bearings in there or do you think they were damaged on install?
    BillBoard wrote: »
    glad to see your love affair with the wagon has been re-ignited!!!

Thanks man! I'm excited to get things finished up for now. I figured this would be a nice gift to us for our 8 year anniversary. :p

arries289 wrote: »
    Love the wheels! Very cool....Did you have some no-name bearings in there or do you think they were damaged on install?

I used Nachi bearings which I've had good results with in other applications. I'm not ruling out damage on install, but we'll see. If I remove them and they don't have any signs of installation errors I'm just going to contact the retailer about it. The other one was installed the same way, is the same brand, and has no issues.
    Here's the completed spindle with a good bearing, the new bearing for other came in Saturday. Also here are some of the new aftermarket goodies to replace the old junk. Can't wait to wrap this up!

10.jpg

11.jpg
    Well I FINALLY got around to finishing up my EX splindle swap. So to recap on what the car just got -

EX spindles rebuilt
    -hubs
    -bearings
    -balljoints
    -calipers
    -rotors
    -rotor screws
    -pads

It also got -
    -drivers side brake hose
    -front lcas
    -rear lcas
    -passenger cv axle
    -skunk2 pro 2 coils

I finished up spraying a valve cover to replace my beat up root beer one but need to install it. Went with a burnt copper engine enamel and clear. It came out ok. I also refinished my corner and bumper lights with a wetsand and some new tint. On to some pictures!

53.jpg

These photos suck as a comparison because the darkness/flash in the after picture, but the corners were done about 8 years ago and had no shine to them in normal lighting.

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

It looks like a different color depending on if flash is on or not. Still need to shave the lettering though.

57.jpg

58.jpg
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    Looks Great Rev. Love that copper look on vc too. Maybe one day our wagons will meet.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    all orange erry thang...
    Thanks man! And damn right, Billiam!

They had a detailer at work today so I went and splurged to cut down on my IA prep....I just didn't want to clean those meshies...haha!

67.jpg

Got it all aligned and shit.

68.jpg

Few things are cooler than having completely custom and full built engine cars around and more people are interested in your wagon. haha

69.jpg
    The wagon drove great with the new work and alignment. The brakes could use another bleed session, but all in all it was fine. Raising it cut out a lot of axle bind which in turn took a lot of driveline vibes out of the front end. The coils are extremely stiff and while I love them, they're going to take some getting used to. It kind of sucked I didn't get it ready sooner because I felt like I'd never even driven my car and took a minute before I was comfortable with my clutch/flywheel setup again. haha
  • unc25unc25 New Wagonist
    Think I might've seen you in the line at IA Saturday ...lost you in the crowd and didn't see you once we got inside...I apparently missed some good wagons though
    Thats a bummer! Whenever I saw a wagon I'd kind of hang by it for a few minutes to see if the owner was around or going to walk up. I only managed to meet one other wagon owner unfortunately.

Here's a picture from the weekend showing the new height, wheels, and freshly painted lights.

6.jpeg
    I ordered the Innovative traction bar with front trans mount and bracket today for B series application. I'm looking forward to see how the car feels with that fourth mount. I also ordered a full size Mishimoto aluminum radiator for it.
  • Definitely let us know. Granted I've been putting off my clutch change for months so the wagon has been sitting. But I'm debating fabbing up a bracket to use the traction bar mount as well.
    Will do! It should get installed fairly soon after I get it in. I also ordered a full size aluminum Mishimoto radiator for the wagon too. I'll eventually look into some slim fans for it. I'm heavily weighing paying someone to do the JRSC job on my wagon instead of a new motor build since I already have the kit. I just need to talk to a shop I can trust and see what that would run me. But who knows, I really want NA power more.