1991 Civic wagon (no mods) won't start

My car has been sitting for a month - had to tow it home after stalling it in reverse and, the very next try after stalling it, it would crank, but not start. I really miss driving my wagon.
These have been tested and passed:
battery
spark
starter
alternator
main relay
fuel pump relay
fuel pump sounds, and fuel comes out, but we don't have the pressure gauge to know if it's adequate
looked into valve cover and rockers move when cranking
I have only owned the car for 18 months and haven't yet had to take it to a mechanic for repairs.
I called a very well-respected Honda-only shop and the owner told me he has never, in 30 years, seen a fuel pump go out at 95,000 miles on these cars.
It just seems strange that it went from starting and running perfectly, to this.
Is it possible to damage the timing system somehow by stalling the car?
Any ideas? Thank you for your advice.

Comments

• Difficult to diagnose this with a keyboard ..but,

-Any recent work before the problem started?
    -What exactly did you do to check the main relay? Have you inspected it for cracked solder joints or resoldered it?
    -Pull a plug or two and see if you have unburned fuel there.
    -Pull the dist cap and inspect for damage and good connection to coil.
    -Check the vacuum line to the MAP sensor and make sure not broken/cracked. I have seen once before where putting a car into reverse can create a start/run issue when coupled with weak/broken motor mounts and a cracked/damaged vacuum line.
    -Check your mechanical timing.

I also doubt it is the fuel pump.
  • Thank you for your advice.
    We had just replaced the starter 1 week before. Don't think it's the starter because the engine cranks.
    Main relay was checked by following Honda service manual instructions however, did not check for cracked solder joints.
    We'll get started on your recommended checks this weekend.
    Thanks again!
  • Usually the main relay issue will cause the fuel pump not to engage. So, if you find no fuel pressure, look at the main relay and not the fuel pump. Because you had recent work done, I would also check all electrical plugs/connectors in and around the starter/intake/distributor.