RT4WD Syncros

My transmission grinds into like every gear. Which syncros work in the RT4WD transmission?

Comments

• So far it looks like the sets from Honda are different between 4wd and other models. Both have a 5 sleeve set:

23626-PG1-315 for 4WD and 23626-PL3-325 for the 4DR EX and Si.

The main shafts look way different and even the gears have different part numbers between the Si and 4WD so my guess is the syncros are different...but as they only come in a kit it's hard to tell. Maybe a call to a dealership would help?

Si
    SH33M0401A.gif
    4WD

SH53M1400B.gif
  • Never seen the part number for the syncro sets, thanks for dredging that up. They're discontinued of course.

Well, I might just reach out to syncrotech and see if they can cook something up for $$$$.
  • rti intracrti intrac Senior Wagonist
    I'd be interested in a set so I can have at least one good spare box. All of mine have at least 250000km (150k miles) on them
  • FakeJDMEF8FakeJDMEF8 Senior Wagonist
    I'd be in for a set or maybe even a pair depending on price.
  • I'm in for a set too if you find some.
  • SwedginSwedgin Band Wagon
    I'd be interested in 2 kits as well
  • "I'm back".....Hi Boner!

First off, synchros don't grind, EVER!

That said I am working on my first Civic RT4WD trans with my Honda "teacher" who happens to be friends with some guy from Audi that has won the 24 hours on LeMans.

That said, RT4WD 3-4-5 synchros are a grab bag from Honda inventory. 88-91 RT4WD 5th synchro is an 88-2000 3-4 synchro where as the RT4WD 3-4 brass synchro is a B series 3-4 synchro, 90-93 LS-GSR.
  • Mista Bone wrote: »

That said I am working on my first Civic RT4WD trans with my Honda "teacher" who happens to be friends with some guy from Audi that has won the 24 hours on LeMans.

Can you please make a thread on that build!? Awesome to have you on the site. I've lurked on many of your posts over at D-series.
    I am still in for two sets!
  • superhatch wrote: »
    Can you please make a thread on that build!? Awesome to have you on the site. I've lurked on many of your posts over at D-series.

The build is about 30 miles from me, I just dropped in and might be supplying a few extra parts. If he tears the countershaft apart I'll see what synchros interchange.

Race season has started, things get confusing.
  • FakeJDMEF8 wrote: »
    I am still in for two sets!

Once the sizes are known, they can be ordered from Synchrotech. I'll confirm the sizes and get with David about it.

The rest of the parts, that is a huge issue since Honda sold off all the old parts stock.

1.jpg
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    Bone, are you still in Ohio? I may be moving back in May or June depending on this job offer, and would be willing to take mine apart to see if we can get something going.
  • I wouldn't be the one taking it apart. An old friend that did 20+ years at Performance Honda is handling this transmission. He is near Oxford, Ohio.
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    If needed, lmk. My RT doesn't run right now so I wouldn't mind taking it apart for specs or use if needed.
  • TnylundTnylund Band Wagon
    ls-gsr 3-4 synchros do not fit I just tried :( but the fwd d seires 3-4 fits 5th gear and superlow...
  • LS and GSR syncs are different sizes, even two sizes of LS syncs (damn cable B's) and I haven't had time to cross check them.

But, since they do cross, they are available. I'm awaiting the 1-2 brass to see what they fit.

Seals and such are discontinued, so this basket case is a huge work in progress for my former Honda Technician/teacher.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    This transmission uses 1992-2001 Integra LS synchronizer rings for 1st - 4th and the 1988-1991 B-series 5th gear synchro for 5th. Just the synchro ring - not the sleeves, hubs, etc. Those parts are all specific to this transmission unfortunately and we can't get them anymore. But at least we can replace the synchro rings as they wear out!

Taken from

https://www.facebook.com/pg/qcp.gear/photos/?tab=album&album_id=780116568708374

Hope this helps...
  • sohawksohawk Wagonist
    ^^ Nice find Grifty. Could this be the magic bullet? I'm going to give QCP a call to dig up any more information, will report back.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    sohawk wrote: »
    ^^ Nice find Grifty. Could this be the magic bullet? I'm going to give QCP a call to dig up any more information, will report back.

Any word from QCP?
  • sohawksohawk Wagonist
    QCP closed up shop a couple of years ago. Talked to the dude on the phone. Told me he'd give me a braindump via email. Never happened.
  • superhatchsuperhatch Moderator
    I'm looking at getting my transmission done over the winter. I just called King Motorsports (my local shop) and they said they had rebuilt one in the past and would be interested in doing it again. I'm going to drop my transmission off there over the winter and fill you guys in with the work they do. I know it's a long ways away, but maybe we can get some insight from them.
  • please update when you get the work done i would love to get my transmission rebuilt only 2hr drive to King Motorsports
    i am in for two sets if they follow through!
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Some more interesting info about the RT4WD transmission in the link from Whoopee Doo Racing

https://www.facebook.com/whoopeedooracing/photos/a.204367042909170.57735.124554010890474/1644201968925663/?type=3
  • sohawksohawk Wagonist
    I've been emailing Chris at Whoopee Doo. He can indeed rebuild RT transmissions. I was quoted what I consider to be a very reasonable rate for a rebuild. I plan to ship him mine and have him do the job in the next year or so. Also, he says he is working on having a LSD for the RT trans produced.
  • Oh I'd be down for the LSD! Keep us updated please!
    And what is "very reasonable"?!
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    FakeJDMEF8 wrote: »
    And what is "very reasonable"?!

x2 plus ten characters:smug:

said something about $560 in the thread there after i clicked on it
  • WPC is like shot peening?

$560 for a rebuild with WPC seems like a deal.